TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > Mini-X > Mini-X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2002, 01:57 PM
cdog4w's Avatar
cdog4w cdog4w is offline
newbmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 316
Blog Entries: 12
Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
Question Newbie, is Mini-X for me?

I'm pretty much new to serious RC racing; I picked up some bit-char OEMs and have definitely enjoyed them. Despite all the mods available for bitchars, I feel something is missing from the total package. I have a feeling much of this is also due to the fact that I bought OEMs that are a bit shoddy in quality. When I first received my OEM, it didn't steer very well. I popped it open and played with the steering spring and then it ran perfect. Since then I've been tinkering on and off and now the steering is gone again and I can't seem to fix it (I'll be making a somewhat parallel post in the bitchar forum about it). I was careful when working so it seems a bit arbitrary and is very frustrating. This seriously contributed to me looking into a more serious alternative and the 2 primary names turned up were Mini-Z and Mini-X. They seem to be the 2 easiest entry points to more serious RC racing. I'd love to pick one up but I had a few worries about my ability to enjoy them. I have pretty much no space in my apartment (carpeted except for small chunks of linoleum in kitchen and bathroom) which leaves me with racing outside. Luckily I park in an attached parking garage of which the upper exposed deck is virtually unused. My question is how capable are the Mini-Z's and Mini-X's of running on rough concrete? This is not smooth poured concrete, this is nasty cheap parking garage concrete. Not to mention the divider strips between sections. If these cars would run on somewhat rough surface, which would you reccomend? If you recommend other cars, I would prefer to keep my investment and storage space someone small for now (so I like the scale of these 2 cars). This seems to be the best forum out there so I'm hoping you guys/gals can help me out and answer my questions. Thanks.

CDog.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-29-2002, 11:26 PM
tinyrc's Avatar
tinyrc tinyrc is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,729
Blog Entries: 43
cdog4w, of the two, the Mini-X is your best bet in the abuse department. The surface you're running on, you say it's rough, but how much debris is on it? Because both cars should be okay as long as it's fairly smooth, but if there a lot of rocks, twigs, etc. it can seriously impact your ability to enjoy them. Tell us a bit more about the surface.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2002, 12:16 AM
cdog4w's Avatar
cdog4w cdog4w is offline
newbmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 316
Blog Entries: 12
Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
surface

Thanks for the welcome (on my bitchar steering thread) btw. As for the surface of the parking garage, its relatively debris free (not to mention I could clear a least a small chunk for racing). I know there will be some trouble going between cement chunks (they have 1/2 inch to inch of rubber molding between to account for size changes due to temp. changes) since those vary from smooth transition to you feel it in a real car. The concrete itself looks like it has been raked instead of smoothed if you know what I mean? It's not nec. a fine raked pattern. Basically it would be a bumpy ride for the car.

I spoke with wedginator a bit (very helpful guy) and he said I should be OK as long as I don't run it full speed the whole way. He also recommended the Mini-Z saying it would take more abuse and was more easily mod'ed (especially the suspension). Either way I got to thinking about possibly raising the suspension on either the Z or the X and putting bigger tires on to make it more of a rally car. Dunno how possible this would be so I might as well ask a pro (you). Would prolly also need a wider wheelbase. It would be nice to develop these mods so that I could have a set of rally parts and a set of street parts that I could change out. Anyway, I really just need to bite the bullet and buy one :P If I were to get an X, your full kit for $85 has everything but the controller. What would you recommend for that and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2002, 12:38 AM
tinyrc's Avatar
tinyrc tinyrc is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,729
Blog Entries: 43
cdog4w, email us for pricing on the controller. I would say that the Mini-X is still better for this surface, it has better stock suspension and clearance, and is 4WD so you will spend a lot more time driving and a lot less time spinning out. As far as the rally mods, check out Mini-ZRacer.com's Forums as a number of people are working on this and you might get some ideas from them. The Mini-X is already pretty rally, all you'd need to do is come up with a way to increase the spring tension on the arms so that the ride height is increased.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2002, 07:54 AM
cdog4w's Avatar
cdog4w cdog4w is offline
newbmaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 316
Blog Entries: 12
Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
Cool, thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2002, 08:46 PM
irc irc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 483
As Tiny said Go with the Mini X for the out door stuff and I would reccomend the 1/43 Epoch for small indoor racing.
__________________
" THINK FAST "
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xmod and mini x sawhit4 XMODS Mods and Projects 21 01-25-2004 01:03 PM
mini x newbie SupraDJ Mini-X 0 01-20-2004 11:30 PM
just about to order mini z or mini x but have a question tarnjit Mini-X 0 12-22-2002 09:01 AM
Mini Cooper Bit Char-g = A Lie Zakkorn Bit Char-G / MicroSizers 18 12-11-2002 05:05 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products
Tiny RC Community News
[03/17/10] Kyosho Mini-Z F1 MF-010 SP2... : The Kyosho Mini-Z F1 MF-010 SP2 Carbon Limited ASF 2.4GHz Tx-Less Chassis Set - more»
[10/23/09] Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 In Stock! : The Mini-Z MR-03 (http://mr-03.com) is now In Stock and Pre-Orders are shipping! - more»
[09/06/09] Labor Day Savings - $5 Off... : Labor Day traditionally marks the unofficial end of summer - but we're not ready to let go! So, we - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts