TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-21-2003, 04:19 PM
TinyRC Pro

Diffs, comms and rack 'n' roll

Ok......

Have had my X for a while (6 cells, bearings all round + bbcan) and am really happy with it. I have moved recently and found a cool un-used room in the ground floor of my building. It has a ruberised floor and the car behaves very well and has the space to 'stretch its legs'. GREAT.

After a few laps one sunday.... the car pulls up slowly and smoke is eminating from beneath the body!!! AARgh! I discovered the commutator has been completely melted, doh! Speedo seems ok. I then fitted an old stock 2wd type motor, the diff now slips alot unless it is tightened too much to function. Both diffs aswell. When stripped the larger balls seem smooth and the rings have a slight sheen to them were they touch the balls but not a groove. The smaller bearings(thrust?) are worse but seem ok. The diffs just slip too much, they were doing so in the final 4wd momments aswell.

Qs... (Finally)
Have the diffs simply worn out?

If so, is it the most likley reason the motor burnt out?

Anyone else with similar setup get through alot of diffs?

What lube do you guys use (I use Li based High temp general purpose auto lube)

Cheers peeps
vented bearing can
O/l tyres
Old 10-21-2003, 05:40 PM
mini-eX-Driver

Send a message via ICQ to 3series takumi Send a message via AIM to 3series takumi Send a message via Yahoo to 3series takumi
diffs probably dead. you can get a nice 600grit sand paper and sand the large diff plates smooth again. i replaced the trust bearing parts with a set of yokomo parts and they fit and work perfectly. remember to lube all that stuff. all the balls are suppose to be smooth. i use and hear alot of people like to use Team Associated diff lube. the black kind for the trust bearings and the slealth lube for the rest. i just use steath (the clear stuff) all over and it works fine.

hope that helps

novak xxl receiver
lrp quantum micro esc
hpi micro mod
5 2/3a zapped cells
novak 10v 4700u power cap
xmod suspension
xmod wheels and tire upgrade
Old 10-21-2003, 10:50 PM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via Yahoo to helldriver
It happended the same to me. Looks like the stock motor could not stand with 6 cells. Mine is burnt and when I rewound the motor, then the FETs got burnt. Hehehe...
Old 10-27-2003, 12:35 PM
TinyRC Pro

Thanks guys,

Will try the lube and bearings. Will replace diffs and motor (TINY how much to ship $25 or so to UK??)
vented bearing can
O/l tyres
Old 10-27-2003, 05:01 PM
im a micro daddy...

Send a message via Yahoo to fastboy
i think its about $35 if i remember(last time i ordered was christmas so not 100%)

i have a mini x in bits if you wanna buy it for spares

dave
Old 10-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by niceguyteddy
Thanks guys,

Will try the lube and bearings. Will replace diffs and motor (TINY how much to ship $25 or so to UK??)
niceguyteddy, email shop@tinyrc.com and we'll figure out shipping for you. Also try adding a bearing can such as the Squat on http://mini-zracer.com/shop to take a lot of strain off of the motor. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2003, 12:24 PM
TinyRC Pro

Fastboy
Thanks for the offer but would like to try brand new diffs. How much for what though, cos would like a mini monster X :-)

Tiny
Thanks, will be in touch
vented bearing can
O/l tyres
Old 11-04-2003, 03:35 AM
im a micro daddy...

Send a message via Yahoo to fastboy
teddy
the mini x i have in bits had been run around 10 mins if that, so the parts are like new,everything is there except the chassis(because i chopped it up,i too was gonna make a mini monster but i couldnt find the time)
i think the only things missing are the wheel pins(basically piano wire availabe easily enough) and the front shaft carrier(the one that holds the motor shaft inline with the front diff,you can make one of these easily enough tho from a small scrap of alloy angle (btw b&q sells alloy and brass dirt cheap)

the car doesnt come with electronics
i dunno what to ask for the car to be honest..does £28 sound about right inc postage??

i know it will cost you that in postage alone from the usa but upto you,im sure tiny will cut you a good deal either way.

i also have a full carbon fibre rocket racer for sale,a dtm x4 and 1/87 tttt truck for sale if you interested.

cheers
dave