TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-26-2002, 01:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ryanhook
Transmitter problem (picture included)

Hello all, I've come across a problem that I haven't seen anyone else touch on. I purchased a new Bit Char-G for my girlfriend's brother just a week or two ago as a Christmas gift (I already own 2 Bits by the way). He opened it up on Christmas Eve and we assembled it and were up and running in minutes.

Now the problem, I came over yesterday (Christmas Day) and he reported that the transmitter no longer registers inputs to go forward. He and I both took apart the transmitter and we found the problem: the micro-button that the forward/reverse button touches to send the signal to the transmitter board is not working (see the highlighted items in the photo). Last night I tested the button over and over again and it would only cause the transmitter to light VERY occassionally. All the soldering is intact, so it must be something in the switch itself.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? If so, please tell me what can be done to remedy the problem. Right now he's using one of my controllers (which happens to be on the same frequency) but I would like to fix this one so I still have a transmitter for my 2nd Bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem.jpg (54.1 KB, 152 views)
Old 12-26-2002, 01:42 PM
Retarded Stunt Driver

i think you have two options

1: buy some of those buttons off of ebay or an electronics supply place. they are pennies. then spend a few hours soldering and hoping you dont break it more.

2: contact hobbico and report it. from what i hear they are good about fixing their stuff.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:50 PM
TinyRC Pro

the exact same thing happened to me but it was the left switch its kinda fried, it dosnt click anymore but im gonna call hobyco and talk to them
Old 12-26-2002, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Unfortunately I cannot contact Hobbico for help since all my Bits are TOMY Bit Char-G products, not the re-branded Microsizers. I guess I will have to find the switches/buttons and do the soldering. Do any of you have any suggestions where to find them?
Old 12-26-2002, 03:25 PM
Retarded Stunt Driver

ebay.....radioshack may have them

i dont see the exact one but one of these may work

or a clone controller would make a good donor. if you lived across town id give you one but im too lazy to mail it.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Retarded Stunt Driver

or you can check this out
Old 12-26-2002, 04:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 8ate8
i had something similar. the 'up' button still works, but doesn't click on and off, so it sticks on sometimes.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:09 PM

I've done some investigating on the internet since I posted this thread and came across a replacement part: APEM Components tact/key switch, part no. MJTP1230. I can order them for $0.18 CDN a piece from http://www.newark.com, but I'm first going to try some of the local electronic components wholesalers in town.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:14 PM
Retarded Stunt Driver

its a common switch. it shouldnt be that hard to find. you may have a broken toy somewhere with one in it. or maybe a remote control or vcr or somethin.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:19 PM

I just tried a quick-fix solution and it seems to be working at the moment. I've sprayed some lock de-icer onto the switch and it's now working on every press. It was a solution that I've used on my SLR camera's flash interface when it doesn't send a signal to the flash — a much neater solution than having to solder!
Old 12-26-2002, 06:24 PM
Box Racer

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowMage Send a message via AIM to ShadowMage
hehe coo' I'm gonna have to remember that one!

--Quote from Six String Samurai
Old 12-26-2002, 08:29 PM
TinyRC Pro

probally acts the same as contact cleaner. Glad that worked for ya.