TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Mods and Projects

Old 02-15-2004, 08:50 PM
--PCB smoker--

Whoo, now that is interesting.
Thanx a bunch tonka.

I always thought the higher the pinion teeth the less the motor worked.
Wonder how a 260 would do, but 30t is alot of teeth though.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:04 PM
TonkaTone1

Typo on 30 tooth, meant 20 tooth

Sorry Box,

I meant to say that the 20 tooth. The 20 tooth pinion makes the Orion run very hot.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:27 PM
--PCB smoker--

Lol............

Thats cool.

20 tooth pinion???!! Really, hmmm.........
That might just be perfect.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:44 PM
I really should change my title...

*sigh* neurokinetik, if you're gonna steal someone else's findings(the big bad johnson motor), at least give them credit.

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....n&pagenumber=5

Scroll down to the middle, you'll see where xxspeednplayxx discovered the motor first.

Chuckster...
Old 02-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by charliebrown
*sigh* neurokinetik, if you're gonna steal someone else's findings(the big bad johnson motor), at least give them credit.

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....n&pagenumber=5

Scroll down to the middle, you'll see where xxspeednplayxx discovered the motor first.

Chuckster...
Who's trying to steal credit? He discovered the BBJ motor, which is in fact a 260, but I had been looking for a 260 motor for quite a while before then. The point of this thread is to explore what winding combinations work best with this motor. That is all.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:06 PM
I really should change my title...

Quote:
Originally posted by neurokinetik
Who's trying to steal credit? He discovered the BBJ motor, which is in fact a 260, but I had been looking for a 260 motor for quite a while before then. The point of this thread is to explore what winding combinations work best with this motor. That is all.
....Oh.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
--PCB smoker--

Interesting, I found this 260 Johnson motor a long time ago, like when the Sky XMod first came out.

Me and some others where in a desperate search for motors found in various components, cause people where searching for 180's cause thats what was in the Micro RS4's, I found it and set it aside thinking, doh' I got this instead of one of the 180's.

I later and shortly after discovering even a timed 180 was not very fast on the RPM's.
So I checked the specs on this 260 and found it would turn about 50k with 7.2v.
As well as aprox. 13.61 stall torque.

So I began the slow plot to use it some day.

I am not claiming I am the first or the last, but maybe he posted first but I imagine there are many that where way before us all.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:02 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to Jshwaa
I hope I'm not too far off topic. Here's a couple pics of a 280 install I did. I used the white bevel gear for a pinion. 1:1 gear ratio between motor and bevel gear is insanely fast.

Anyone got a speed check on their big motors?
Old 02-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Mad Scientist

Nice! How did you fasten the gear to the motor?

On a related note, I'm done messing with these motors for a while. There are a couple of things that really annoy me about the BBJ motor. One is that the tabs are incredibly hard to open, the second is that the brushes don't hold up well. I had one of these die while attempting to measure the RPMs yesterday, running on 4 cells.

Last edited by neurokinetik; 02-29-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
--PCB smoker--

Yeah they are..........

Yeah the tabs where easy for me to bend back, but I took a pocket screwdriver, a VW dual-reversiable tip pocket screwdriver they give us free and ground and shaved the tips to work perfect, a 260 special tool so to say.

But, bending them back, now thats a different story I never could get them to bend back.

I also replaced the brushes with the ones from a S1 motor that came out of the Xmod and used ball bearings in the can and endbell. I got 49,600 RPMs out of the 260 before the bearings on 7.2v with the RS batteries.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:23 PM
TinyRC Pro

Neuro,

Quote:
Nice! How did you fasten the gear to the motor?
Not much science involved. I just drilled a hole that was a little smaller than the motor shaft('bout 1.5mm) and pressed it on, then super glued it. It's solid. My motor is a Mabuchi though, not a Johnson. I burned up a Mabuchi 260 with 16.8V......too bad, it was a bad ass motor. Not much motor mod'ing needed with 20K RPM's and over 33g/cm of torque and a 24 tooth pinion turning a 24 tooth bevel gear. That's a nice motor drive chemistry.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Mad Scientist

Re: Yeah they are..........

Quote:
Originally posted by boxcrash
Yeah the tabs where easy for me to bend back, but I took a pocket screwdriver, a VW dual-reversiable tip pocket screwdriver they give us free and ground and shaved the tips to work perfect, a 260 special tool so to say.
Hmm, thanks for the tip. I have a few of those freebie-type screwdrivers around that I can sacrifice...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jshwaa
Not much motor mod'ing needed with 20K RPM's and over 33g/cm of torque and a 24 tooth pinion turning a 24 tooth bevel gear. That's a nice motor drive chemistry.
So I imagine that the acceleration is quite good, despite the tall gears? Does the car still spin all four tires on the launch?

Last edited by neurokinetik; 03-01-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:47 PM
TinyRC Pro

Quote:
So I imagine that the acceleration is quite good, despite the tall gears? Does the car still spin all four tires on the launch?
Yes, the acceleration is tremendous. I had to reinforce the front right cup with a tip that chino gave me, but it holds up. And yea, all of the tires spin from the get. I epoxied the tires to the rims and they are still pulling loose. It will take me some time, but I'm going to get a pic of a speed check, and a video. All in time though....
Old 03-01-2004, 10:14 PM

what did chino tell you to do? i need to know

thanks

RSX...FWD..soft tread F & hard tread R tires..gloss black skyline wheels..crystal clear headlights..euro taillights..4.5 tie rod..lights..red suspension arms..red springs..alloy nuts
white Supra...RWD..doubled rear stock tires..white 5 spoke wheels(from 1st RS upgrade)..lowered..st.2 drift..lights..alloy nuts
350Z...Supra wheels..chrome exhaust tips..lowered..lights..lifted rear with spacers for leveled stance..alloy nuts..body match painted supra wheels
black Skyline...AWD..RSX wheels..lowered..all orange painted silvers..st.2 drift..lights..yellow springs..alloy nuts
67' Camaro...lights..reversed rear wheels..alloy nuts
NSX..RSX wheels..smoked headlight housing..lights..alloy nuts
black Civic...lights..lowered..Skyline clip..black Supra wheels
yellow Skyline, outdoor car..LITHS..AWD - front LSD & locked rear..drift tires or hard tires..dipped 9T st. 2 motor..black chassis, rear upper deck & motor holders..yellow springs...rear monoshock..F&R alloy cups, shafts, and knuckles
F150 mods include fets, 7.4V liths, st1 motor with stock gearing, F&R gpm diffs monster tires, bearings, lift kit and 4WD.
silver Supra on evo chassis, liths, AWD, lowering kit, wide rear stance, st2, bearings, 1.5 TR, F&R gpm knuckles
G35 rolling chassis
H2 rolling chassis
Cobra,rolling chassis
red Supra SOLD
65' Mustang...SOLD
Corvette... SOLD
WRX...SOLD
blue Civic...SOLD
Old 03-01-2004, 10:21 PM
--PCB smoker--

Re: Re: Yeah they are..........

Quote:
Originally posted by neurokinetik
Hmm, thanks for the tip. I have a few of those freebie-type screwdrivers around that I can sacrifice...
Yeah no problem I ground it so it fit in between the plastic indent perfect and slide right under the tab for perfect pry-ability(of that is a word. )

They even work on the 130's, and better than a regular pick or screwdriver on the 180's, 370's etc.