TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Science

Old 12-08-2003, 11:49 AM
TinyRC Pro

lol, thats what I did !

sherif
Old 12-09-2003, 03:03 PM
0reZepyT

no pics on how to take off the endbell? please? with sugar? and sprinkles? and a cherry on top?
Rachel: No! No Joey! U-N-I-sex.
Joey: Well, I ain't gonna say no to that.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Mad Scientist

I'll try to post them tonight...
Old 12-09-2003, 05:11 PM
0reZepyT

thanks!! probably gonna tear apart either one of the stage 2 motors or my stock 1 motor as soon as i get the stage 2 kit.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:23 PM
Mad Scientist

OK, here you go... this is the important stuff, I'm assuming you already know how to pry the two tabs up on the side of the motor can.

Note the arrow. You will use a small flatblade here to pry the endbell off while leaving the brushes in place.

Gently twist...

Almost there...

Pulled off the endbell, note the brushes right where they belong.

Pivot the brushes out of the way, and you're sorted. Ready to swap magnets or advance timing.

Old 12-09-2003, 07:29 PM
0reZepyT

thanks for the pics! i'm wondering, i remember someone saying that when they put their xspeed in their car, they had to reverse the polarity because xmods run motors backwards compared to most cars. according to the pictures in your first post, wouldn't that be retarding the timing or did you already take that into account?

oh yeah, since i got no big place to run my xmod, thanks to the big winter storm up here in boston, is there any other indication of improvement like sound?

Last edited by TypeZer0; 12-09-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by TypeZer0
thanks for the pics! i'm wondering, i remember someone saying that when they put their xspeed in their car, they had to reverse the polarity because xmods run motors backwards compared to most cars. according to the pictures in your first post, wouldn't that be retarding the timing or did you already take that into account?

oh yeah, since i got no big place to run my xmod, thanks to the big winter storm up here in boston, is there any other indication of improvement like sound?
If you change the timing in the direction I show, it will be advanced when you are running it in an XMod. You will be able to hear the difference between a motor with advanced timing and one without. It will be revving higher.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:10 PM
0reZepyT

ok cool. yeah, i did hear a difference in sound. damn, should've gotten another stock motor to compare it with, oh well. luckily i didn't break this motor hehe.

i didn't properly break in the motor but did run it below full throttle for a while. i was surprised by how well broken in one of the brushes were but the other brush...well, half of it looked good.....
Old 12-25-2003, 10:48 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Neuro, how do you swap magnets without taking it out of the can?

Plus... is it just me or is it tough to "gently twist" the timing? It seems stuck.

Last edited by joe_t1g; 12-25-2003 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Mad Scientist

Swapping magnets without removing the armature is tricky, but it is doable. You have to pop the little spring clip loose on one side, then use a paperclip with a tiny hook bent on the end to pull the magnets out. Doing this with Neo magnets really sucks, as they usually go flying right back into the motor.

It isn't your imagination, the comm is actually "stuck". There are tiny little tabs on it that stick into the rotor and force it to neutral timing. When you twist, you actually break these little tabs off. After you are done, you can put a drop of superglue where the comm meets the rotor if you want to ensure that it doesn't move. It is much easier to adjust timing with the armature out of the motor, but it really is best to avoid pulling the pinion if you don't really have to. The easiest time to adjust timing is when winding a motor. You can just set it, glue the comm, and wind the motor with the timing already advanced.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:51 AM
TinyRC Pro

Neuro,

I would just like to know ......HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS!!! What do yo do for a living? And, is there anyway you could show us all how to do FETs? Thanks for all the help on the boards! Keep up the amazing work!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:50 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by red02zx3
Neuro,

I would just like to know ......HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS!!! What do yo do for a living? And, is there anyway you could show us all how to do FETs? Thanks for all the help on the boards! Keep up the amazing work!
Well, let's see... Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, 6 years experience working as a tech repairing consumer electronics, probably about 10 more years of misc electronics experience on top of that, and about five years of racing 1/10th and 1/12th scale R/C way back when I was a teenager.

Most of my motor knowledge draws upon my experience with the 540 motors in the 1/10th and 1/12th scale cars, and lots of trial and error...
Old 12-28-2003, 06:14 AM
TinyRC Pro

thats funny! I actually was going to shcool for electical engineering, and dropped it cause I thought it was too HARD! So now I repair and maintain jet engines....
Old 01-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Lucid Dreams

ied love to see a pic of that pinion being pulled
Old 01-12-2004, 06:05 AM
TinyRC Pro

I have fought and fought with these stupid pinions and Im gonna tell ya right now....The BEST way to get that sucker off is to take a hand held propane torch(the ones you get at home depot for like 12 bucks) and heat it up till its glowing red. At that moment, use some needle nose pliers to just pop it off. When you heat it up that hot, it just FALLS off.