TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-10-2004, 12:16 PM
newbmaster

Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
Mini-X ESC dying?

I've been getting some really weird behavior with my car lately and I'm starting to think its my ESC.

Ever since I got the car, I would have occasional "stalls" where the car would stop taking receiver input. Usually if I walked closer or waited a few sec I would get control back. I've heard some Rx just shut down if interferance goes past a certain threshold as a failsafe. So this was annoying, but not that big a deal since it was rare.

I've since done lots of mods the car including a shaft mod to do 4WD with normal motors (currently a stock HPI 180). Ran fine like that outside. When I took it to a 1/10 indoor track I noticed a lot of glitching, pretty constant on off type behavior. So I shrinkwrapped a Futaba R142JE Rx and installed it. Now the behavior is even worse. It will shut off for seconds at a time and just generally not work.

I realize there are many points that could have gone wrong, but I'm wondering if this type of behavior could be caused by the ESC going bad or does it sound like Rx trouble?

Thanks in advance. I really want to get the X up and running and show all the 1/10'ers that small scale can be fun and competitive.

My rides:
Xray M18, Duratrax Vendetta ST, Kyosho Mini-Z AWD, Losi Micro-T
Old 05-10-2004, 01:30 PM
TinyRC Pro

What kind of batteries are you using? Some batteries, the smaller sizes in particular, have a hard time providing the necessary voltage when under a heavy draw.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:11 PM
newbmaster

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised, but I think I have more problems than that. It was cutting out even when at a standstill and just turning the wheels. I'm using 1/3AA size batteries in a 6 cell pack, but I've used the battery pack before w/o trouble. I think I'll try putting the power cap (10V 4700uf, low impedance) I have for it on and see if it helps clear things up. I'm also using these batteries on my DTM SP w/ a novak SPY and am not really having any trouble with it (it does have the power cap installed though). Thanks, I'll update when I get a chance to do more testing.

My rides:
Old 05-11-2004, 01:23 AM
Real Cars Suck

You ran it before with the stock 5 and 6 cell packs with no problems.

Then I saw you run it before with the 1/3 aas.

Did you try the mini x receiver with the sp?

Did you try the spy in the mini x?

Just changing the plugs and flip the car over so its doesn't go anywhere. Try moving away from it to see its reaction.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:17 AM
newbmaster

Well, sometimes its the simplest solution. I'm still not positive everything is fine, but it seems the plug from the ESC was a little loose (I'm a retard) and would definitely explain the problem I had last night. Now as long as the futaba Rx clears up the original reception problem that I replaced the Mini-X Rx for... I'm gonna add the cap and take it to the office to test in a dif. environment. To those that posted, I appreciate the help. I'll post again once the car is happily racing on a track :P

My rides:
Old 05-11-2004, 11:33 AM
newbmaster

Passes the office reception and driving test. On carpet that killed my DTM SP and made it almost undrivable, the Mini-X handled great (go 4WD). Carpet is a bit too plush for racing.

Next test is at the raceway where the reception problem was most noticible.

Assuming that goes well, its time to look for gearing for more top end.

UPDATE: Worked great at the track. Ran it for 2 heats and was able to run full throttle pretty much the whole way. Need to change the gearing for more top end. Plenty of room for it since its a 1/10 indoor carpet track. They've been kind enough to let us run a micro class there (mixed, so far its been me, an XRay M18 and some Mini-T's). Couldn't keep up with them, but not embarrasing.

My rides:

Last edited by cdog4w; 05-13-2004 at 01:56 AM.