TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-14-2003, 11:37 PM

Mini-Z VS. XMODS

I have finally ran my mini-z against my xmods and let me first say I have the stage 1 top speed motor in my xmods and the suspension kit on and the mini-z is stock suspension with the x-speed motor. Now for the results, I paid about $120 for the Z with motor and $93 for xmods, motor, suspension, body kit and batteries. All I can say is you get what you pay for the Z runs circles around the x, Its faster and the turning is no compatition. The Xmods has better suspension setup and looks nice but thats it. The mini-z's steering and throttle is very precise unlike the Xmods and the cars setup is way too complicated and its a heavier car. If you have the money for a Z, get it, If not the XMODs will do but don't go to the local races and expect to win

Old 10-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Monoaural.

Send a message via AIM to vtheo Send a message via Yahoo to vtheo
well, looks like i am gonna get that lxx scale then... have you tried switching motors? but if the z handles better, and has a lancer evo.. then i am all for it.... now i got to order it... hehe
Old 10-15-2003, 01:10 PM

You need to try the stage 2 motors against an x-speed otherwise its like running a stock z against an x-speed equiped z.

The x-mods are heavier, no doubt, and they lack some of the preciseness of the Z but the ability to go to 4wd has its +'s and -'s. I've got the AWD kit but am waiting for the bearings to do the conversion, speaking of which, if you didn't have bearings in the xmod, that's a severe drag factor with the added 4wd lower shaft.

Nice Pics!!
Old 10-16-2003, 05:34 AM
Got Cheese?

it seems that, buck for buck, the Xmod compares pretty ok with the Z, for the same money you end up with more or less the same performance. Spend what a Z costs on an XMods with hopups, and you get an Xmod that performs comparably with a Z. spend $150 on each, and they perform more or less the same This just seems to be the reaction I am seeing here, going on what ppl are saying. I haven't got an Xmod so I don't know!!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:46 AM

No, comparing an xmod to a z is like comparing a Beamer and a Yugo. Yes there both cars but there in two different classes.
A mini-z is a Hobby Class RC Car and a Xmod is a Toy Class RC Car. I'm not trying to knock the xmod, I'm defending the z, if all you want is a little car then spend 50 bucks and get a xmod, but if your going to buy all the hop-ups and spend 120 to 150 then get a mini-z, you will be alot happier in the end, not to mention the hop-ups for the mini-z are endless.

Please everybody stop comparing the xmod to the mini-z, it's not fair to kyosho or radio shack.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:40 PM
None Better

that's pretty funny, I consider the mini-z to be a toy class rc car.

a micro rs4 is a hobby class rc, an ABC DTM is a hobby class rc...a vehical with proprietary electronics that comes pre-built, and uses loose over the counter batteries and not a battery pack, is a toy class rc car.

Don't get me wrong, I have 10 mini-z's, but the xmod I feel is on the same level. Sure the xmod is slower stock, but its $50! I spent about $85 on mine and it handles worlds better than a stock mini-z, all I put into mine were the bearings and the AWD kit.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:05 PM

well even with additional money in the xmod it doesn't compare. With the stage 2 motors it might be able to match top speed with a mini-z but it really is a different class. And RS's brochure seemed to imply that the stage 2 motors didn't really offer a torque advantage over stage 1 motors. Mine is still a stage 1 though so I can't say for sure.

playing with the xmod, it becomes obvious that it is a toy. Its upgrades blur the line a bit between toy and hobby class but it is a toy. the quality just isn't the same, the wheels are wobbly, it's noisy, sluggish off the line, lazy in the corners. It just seems to strain getting around while the mini-z darts around effortlessly.

If you're a 13 year old kid who can't quite cough up $150 to get a Z rolling it's a great alternative. I think hopped up it could compete with a non xspeed MR-01, and on slick surfaces, the 4wd xmod might even outclass a z .

I am not at all disappointed with my 4wd xmod.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:39 PM
TinyRC Pro

well lets see mini z and xmods are in the same class due to niether takes batt packs and fyi i have a supra with bearings suspension upgrade and alittle motor upgrade "love that slotcar motor" and light kit with tires off a mustang svt model kit and had the privlage to race a hopped up z in a road course and drad race and well chaulk 2victories up for my xmod i won the drag by 3 car links and the road course by 1 1/2 car links " i even spun out once" both mini z and xmods are really good cars and my xmod has no problem turning tight corners the break helps so i would say they are in the same class im not trying to say mini z are bad cause i will own one soon but xmods can be made to run with the others i will post pics soon i hope and bad company im glad to see you got your xmods congrats lol
Old 10-17-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm not a pyro, really.

these things have breaks? what about reverse?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER
OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE NUMBERS!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:44 PM
TinyRC Pro

yes it has both
Old 10-17-2003, 10:26 PM
Bad Driver

I don't have a Mini-Z but I love this thing. With the NiMH batteries it really flies, it's perfect for tile-floor drifting . It has now officialy replaced my epoch as the "screw-around car". Something tells me these XMODS can be just as good as a Mini-z, for a price. Also, I'm wondering if you could cram some real elctronics and an HS81-MG into that plastic shell... Time to scrap the Micro !
Old 10-18-2003, 12:08 AM

Well sure, my point wasn't that they couldn't be run in the same class. My point was that the construction and design of the xmod isn't quite in the same class as the mini-z. There is a reason why you have to pay at least twice as much for a mini-z - and it isn't because it's imported. The construction of the mini-z is more efficient, the drive train is more efficient, the quality of parts is better, the electronics are more sophisticated.

On the other hand the best car doesn't always win the race. The driver is at least as important. In your case I would suggest that it was your skill that won the race, not your car.

If you are getting a Z though don't bother getting an MR-01, the MR-02 is much better. Out of the box it is better than any hopped up MR-01.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:26 AM

I might have to add a MR-02 to my collection if its that good
Old 10-18-2003, 01:55 PM

MR2 is leaps and bounds better than the MR1, but mod the plate to run the original motor pod and you can run all the original long length bodies until the new ones come out.... going off topic sorry.

Put the awd in and it still doesn't turn well but still a fun car to drive.

Will put it up against Z's in stock and Mod tomorrow on a foam track. I'll let you know................
Old 10-19-2003, 12:32 AM
TinyRC Pro

so the mr-02 is better where can i get one for a good price and about the race bobcat i agree drivers do make a diff but in this case i was racing my best friend whos been in rcs as long as me so i have to give just alittle more of the credit to my car but the car is alittle more moddified than normal due to some backyard tech-ing lol