TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
Exclamation "Desperado" for a less ugly body! (Pics)

Picked up the "American Truck" body kit so I could get the Ram to put on a base ZZ chassis for my g/f as part of her b-day present since her dad has a Dodge Ram 1500 that she's driving most of the time now.

So, I had a Silverado body left over. (ick a Chebby, gotta be SOME way to make this look better!) It had a little lower CG than my Hummer body so I slapped it on my 49 mhz chassis, full suspension travel mod, softer springs, did a 71.98:1 gearbox. Climbs good, looks bad. Time for more mods!

Ripped off the ugly front bumper cover, made a Winch Bumper, it looked naked so it got a full brush guard. Rockers looked a little naked too, so they got Rock Sliders. I got to wondering who offroads with a tonnau cover, so I ripped that off too and scratch built a bed. Bed looked naked, it got a 4 point Rollbar. Decided that to show off my truck bed it should be done in white Rhino Liner.

Now I've just got to build a tiny little winch (show only), detail on some more Trail Rash and some mud. And maybe make some junk to have live in the bed like a Hi-Lift Jack or a Cooler or something... Any suggestions?

Ok, enough teasing, my truck

* * * PLEASE COMMENT * * *

Last edited by frizzen; 07-21-2005 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Tool User

Oh yeah, body still sports full LED's, though the rear ones had to flop sides and be rerouted down the sides (fenders) of the bed instead of crossing under the tonnau. And I mounted a lead tape Skidplate on the nose (2nd pic in first post) Installed some lead-free solder wheel weights too, it really climbs like a mofo now!

Body no longer fits on car chassis due to bed install, but that's because I built the bed as deep as it could *possibly* go on a ZZ-M chassis and didn't plan on running it on some other chassis. (had to file antenna hump off PCB Cover and bed's still a bit shallower than I'd like)

And I do know that most of the body mods are rather useless on a Monster Truck with this kinda lift, but if you're gonna off-road instead of playing in a stadium, it ought to look like it can sustain itself out there. Plus it looks more like a Truck now.

I'm trying to talk myself out of working KC off-road lights mounted on top of the rollbar. Also considering adding a lower bar in the brushguard, but won't decide that until I have a winch built, or unless I get some feedback.

Took this much work to make it look half as agressive as the Jeep. I wish RadioHack made a Toyota Taco or a Land Rover or something, even a Suzuki Samuri would be nice. Then again, I wish they hadn't killed off the Jeep before I was able to get a ZZ-M.

Ok, questions, comments, insults?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Tool User

Got bored at work, and drove this little beast over to the micro scale, uh I mean truck scale, yeah that's it.

I don't have stock numbers since both my trucks are modded some, but I'll try to get them on the next truck I buy before I make that one fully articulate.

This ZZ-M chassis weighs 64.6 g

The modded Body weighs 10.7 g

Chassis + Body 75.4 g

2 Poorly made Wheelweights 5.3 g for both

Total weight for this rig 80.8 g

Oh and if one of the Moderators sees this, can you bump this thread to the Mods/Projects section, so *somebody* might actually reply
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Tiny RC Pro

It looks awesome. I hate chevy's though so if it was something else it be totally awesome.

Good job. Keep working on it!

BTW What exactly is lead tape?
Old 07-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Tool User

Nice to hear some feedback!

Yeah, I'm more of a Ford guy and not so much into chevy, so this was going to be a practice body to mod and try to screw up with trail rash and mud and all that. Original plan was to make this like a 70's vintage truck that was beat all to heIl, mismached doors and fenders, huge dents, maybe break some glass or etch a "star" into the windshield where somebody cracked their head, skew the bumpers a bit, though about bobbing the bed or going flatbed, making it a single cab... but then it was so clean and shiney so I decided to go a little easier on it, so this is where it is now. Might ditch the bowtie, and probably should have stripped and painted body. If you've got any suggestions let me know!

Lead tape is a kinda weird thing we use at work to balance gyros and some other stuff if we don't have a small enough weight. Think of something along the lines of double-stick tape with around 0.005" of lead on one sticky side. It's not really all that much weight, but it's more of a psychological thing, but it makes a killer looking skidplate that perfectly molds to my "front differential".

I've got to remount my winch bumper, oops. I'm working on building up a winch (which will retract), then I'm gonna mount some recovery points on the body. Having 2 trucks on a winch line together working to get one up an obsticle is pretty wicked to see at this scale. I'll post pics when I've got some notible progress.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:25 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Just a question.. are these things fun at all?? like can the actually run in dirt? and can they wheelie? Ive been debating to buy one for a while now. They look cooler and cooler everytime i see them.
Blue motor and Gearing
Stretched antenna for
better range
Old 07-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Tool User

Winch bumper back on though it straightened out slightly from sitting in my car, now have 4 recovery ponts mounted to body, winch is about 1/3 finished. I just need the retraction system, and a spool mounted to the bumper.
-
Skyline7,

Stock with green motor and green gears they can pull a wheelie if there's enough traction. You can also do reverse to forward move which will bring the nose up very nicely even with less traction, but usually onto the back bumper since you don't have Propo throttle. If you put in a higher RPM motor, the nose comes up a bit easier though less torque so you do hit a limit; and you can even do a forward to reverse move which brings the tail up and drops it on the nose.

They can run in dirt, fairly small gravel, carpet, grass, clothes... These are 4wd, and pretty torquey, they can tackle pretty steep slopes, but lack of suspension travel is going to be your limit for crawling, and they don't articulate any stock. They come with Chevron tires, so they do pretty well on loose surfaces as long as you have them oriented self clearing. Gear ratios are pretty limited stock (4 sets total), but you can gear down pretty easily and go just about as low as you'd ever want. Fastest motor with fastest gearing is enough to slightly bog the truck from a stop so it takes a few seconds to wind up. These are setup more like Monster Trucks you'd see at a stadium this sunday...Sunday...SUNDAY, than something you'd see on a trail but that can be fixed if you want. There are pretty well documented modifications to make to improve those points. Definately get one, they're only $25 and can go more places than a ZZ or Bit, and they only get better with mods; if you don't like it you can just repackage it, and you've got a birthday present for somebody, and chances are once they start playing they'll love it!

I mean, I don't even like trucks and I've gotten into these things! They can't go everywhere, but they do open up many more possibilities to drive on than a Bit or ZZ ever could.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:18 AM
It's Really Fast!

Quote:
Originally posted by frizzen
Yeah, I'm more of a Ford guy and not so much into chevy
+1, but it still looks awesome.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
BitPimp

ok thats it frizzo, im going to radiohack to pick one of these baddies up cause i cant stand the jelousy and toment any longer...
Old 07-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Tool User

Nasphere,

Then my job here is done. It's taken this many weeks of torment, but I've made you buy one. Now when you drool over pics in my next post, you'll want a second...

Last edited by frizzen; 07-28-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Do you getto dremel?

I like the bed and the stuff you added. That body is one ugly mother though.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Tool User

Who wants to see some Recovery points?

Ok, but what's the point without a winch hook?

Pfft, like that'll ever work!

Recovery points are real, the winch cable isn't mounted in truck yet, and I don't have winch drum installed either. The cable attachment to the Jeep is totally fake, though you can see the hook going through recovery point on Silverado, but it shows how it'll work on bodies with recovery points. And yes, you can do roll assisted winches to get up taller things than you can tackle alone.

(Jeep body too rare now to mod, plus jeep is badass stock. Jeep doesn't need body mods to be cool.)

Last edited by frizzen; 07-28-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:35 AM
It's Really Fast!

There are Lego Winches with drums and all. Spraying one of them chrome would fit perfectly.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Tool User

Got a pic of your Lego winch?

Though this is a truck, the only chrome they're supposed to have is lugnuts. I'll do Argent but no Chrome on a truck.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:29 AM
It's Really Fast!

Quote:
Originally posted by frizzen
Got a pic of your Lego winch?

Though this is a truck, the only chrome they're supposed to have is lugnuts. I'll do Argent but no Chrome on a truck.
Nah, sorry, I'm not home. Just look for the lego trucks with little winches and you'll see it.