TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Why Oh Why - Radio Shack

Why would Radio Shack stop carrying the ZipZap SE, but they have new Zip Zaps from the movie CARS????

I do not like normal Zip Zaps or any other Non- Propo type micro car.

They keep these in stock and they useless compared to the SE, I love the way you can really race the SE type cars, no ones elses sold these types of cars, with the complete parts line radio shack had, I sure wished they had dropped the regular Zip Zips and kept the SE line going.

Where else can you get a decent 64th scale car with Propo and tons of aftermarket stuff?

Mmmm,, Just venting, I really want Radio Shack to carry the SE, and drop the Stock ZipZaps
Old 12-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Jazz32

The SE's had many problems, and I'm betting a good reason for stopping production was for that reason. Also, the popularity of this scale waned and there just isn't enough interest anymore, I guess.

Personally, I would have liked a few more SE's and ZZMT's as well. You'll have to look on ebay now.

Have you driven one of the new zipzaps from Cars? From what I have heard, they are by far the fastest of the zipzaps and easy to drive without proportional control.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM

I have not driven the new ZIPZaps, without Propo.. for my tracks at home you need to have prop steering and throttle.

I can see maybe the interest died down, but why not carry them anymore, I know lots of people who are buying them on Ebay...

The SE might have had some issues, but anything with 04 or newer date, have VERY little issues.... So I would say most of the issues have been worked out and then they decide to drop the line.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
My guesstimation is that Joe Public doesn't know the difference between the "regular" ZZ vs. the "SE" ZZ and therefore wasn't willing to pay the extra money for the SE...And even for the ones that opted to try the SE out, they probably got too frustrated (or too impatient) to properly learn to drive them and either returned them or griped about it to others and thereby making others not want them.

Even for us clued-in people that actually appreciated the SE for what it was/is (1/64th scale, semi-propo RC for under $30!), we've had our fair share of problems with them too. I give full credit to Radioshack for coming out with newer generations of the SE in an effort to fix the problems...But I guess, in the end, they had to break it down to what they think will make money. It seems they think Movie Themed cars is it.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM

I would agree, most would not know the difference between the the ZZ models.

I could see someone buying one for the grandkids, and seeing the cheaper one bought that.

But hear is a question... Why don't regular hobby stores pickup the SE line.

1 All the bugs are fixed, (99%)

2 The cars appeal to people who are into hobbies.

3 Most Hobby shops sell Slot cars stuff, these BLOW away slot cars in every sense of the work.

4 Hobby Shops would bennefit with a nice propo micro racer that NO else makes in that price range with the feature it has.

5 All the aftermarket part are already made and so are the body molds.

6 The SE rocks!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverdown3k View Post
I would agree, most would not know the difference between the the ZZ models.

I could see someone buying one for the grandkids, and seeing the cheaper one bought that.

But hear is a question... Why don't regular hobby stores pickup the SE line.
I think because Radio Shack had them made specifically for their chain and manufacturing them to sell them through another outlet wouldn't make sense to them. They manufacture goods for sale in RS stores (and nowhere else). i got the last two Aston Martin's in my area on Friday. No more ZZ SEs around here according to RS's website.

I never knew the difference between ZZ and ZZ SE until this Xmas season. I just looked at the prices of each car and what type of body it had. Wished they'd made a Mazda Miata.

I'd like to think they'll bring them back sometime but it definitely won't be this christmas.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM

See if you can get the MicroZ. Larger scale ( 1:50 ) but they are far superior to ZZ SEs. Try eBay.