TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
Frizzens First Xmod - evo truck

I started this over on BitPimps, but might as well start a thread over here too.

Original plan was to keep this secret until I'm all done, but if I do I'll end up forgetting some of the modifications. Plus, this Xmod board seems quite dead, so this might generate a bit more interest...

Xmod Evo chassis (channel 5) <RadioHack $40>
equipped with 2006 Nissan Titan body
- 4WD upgrade <RadioHack $15?>
- Bearing upgrade <RadioHack $20>
- Offroad Lift Kit upgrade <RadioHack $15>

It's a stock parts list truck, decent performer, with an uninspiring body. I see potential, but I'm not really feeling it yet. Wonder what I'd be more likely to see on a TRAIL than a '2006 Nissan Titan'...

* 1972 Chevy Cheyenne body <another hobby shop $14>

Little bit of hack, chop, bump, grind...

Oh yeah! I'm starting to feel that!!! Though, still a bit fast for a trail rig...

* HiTec HS-55 servo <hobby shop $14>
* Red pinion off a 1/24 SS-M motor <ToyRUs $ N/A>

The HS-55 had the board, and the stops removed, it's now a CrawlerBox. Both mounting ears were also removed. One pinion from a SS-M was installed on servo ouput shaft. Working on a low impact installation, and it will be as easy to swap as the stock motors.

The Chevy Cheyenne body now sports a custom length shortbed, it'll have a tonnau cover.
It WILL have a full interior, setup with a Standard trans and a T-case and a Crawler Box, Amature or CB radio.
Antenna will probably have location changed and will be a scale CB-style loaded element whip.
I haven't decided on the truck paint scheme yet, there are so many good ways to go.
And lots of small details I think you'll miss the first few times you look at it.

The Nissan Titan body will also have a few custom mods... All I'm gonna say right now is that everybody has seen the finished product in real life. *cough*soccermom*cough*

Increased articulation.
Steering rack will get the slop removed (brass bushings).
Another goal is to eliminate as much bump-steer as possible (offroad arms gave it a LOT).
Considering a Hi-Steer setup to eliminate all the damn bump-steer!
Softer springs would be nice.
Rear diff probably will get locked, but I want to use a way that it can be returned to open.
Various other mods I haven't yet decided on...

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-09-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Because I can.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Love it!!!

Awesome. So you changed the pinion gear? How slow/how much more torque does it have? Good for offroading?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Did some thinking

This is how I made my Gen1 NSX all wheel drive w/mechanical locker

Did you ever take apart the front or rear differential (red) w/the 3 screws? You can pull the entire thing apart, take a knive and separate the tapered half (w/ the gears on it). After aligning the parts back together, i realized you could drill a tiny hole through the entire thing; even the metal disk. NOTE: align the hole your going to drill, to hit in between 2 of the 5 bearings becasue the red disks are the same size and diameter of the bearing spacing. It must go through both metal disk basically. The hole was small enough to fit a small pin through, if pushed hard enough. I trimmed the pin so it barely stuck out, were the gears meet to turn the axle. It worked great.

Now, I have yet to buy a GEN 2 truck. But maybe it will give you an idea. With a pair of pliers I can easily reach in and pull the pin out of the front and rear Diffs.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:07 AM
Tool User

I wouldn't really say I swapped the pinion, that would imply having left the stock powerplant. This is a modified servo with a pinion on the output shaft. Anyway, my new crawler box is much slower than stock, but it's not painfully slow. Torque is great though. It should be able to ramp on anything it can get a wheel onto. Building the motor mount is proving a challenge though because the torque keeps pulling it out of mesh.

The Evo diffs are a cylinder held together with a long pin, something similar should be able to work though. I dunno, I've still got a long way to go before I'm really 'finished' with it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to drewdown84 Send a message via Yahoo to drewdown84
Chevy = <3

hehe... nice truck... was thinking about grabbing a truck... shoulda picked up a f-150 for that 30 bux and then found a body from the HS... but i got my firebird getting ready for the chopping block.. and a body that i gotta figure out how to make work...

either way... you're doing a great job... i really cant wait to see the finished product... or even updates of it...

H2 -> 6 Cell, RS Bearings, AWD, Lift, Body

05' Ford Mustang -> Custom Tamiya Paint, Light Kit and thats it cuz it aint a GM... gonna get a 6 cell when my girl learns to solder...

Traxxas T-Maxx .15 -> Aluminum chassis parts... soon to get a custom light kit...

Associated RC10GT -> RPM bulkheads...
Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Smile nice trucks

i dont have a truck but i have a dodge viper body(started as a scion tc)and a moter upgrade and a suspencion upgrade to many upgrades to list. hope to get a truck soon. sweet!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Tool User

Thanks for the interest so far. I'm really liking the truck, not really all about the Tx, but it works and has some nice features. The chassis is a pretty good base to mod. Atleast this early in the game, I'm still feeling that the whole "Xmod Evos can't be crawlers" thing is total BS, sure it's IFS/IRS but it articulates like mad.

I *definately* like my body more than any that RadioHack offered, even though it is a Chebby. Though if I were "smart", I probably would have totally skipped the interior, and painted just the inside of windows black, it would save a lot of time and trouble.

Updates: Not much to report, been busy with g/f instead of modding.
- HiTec crawler box mount still kicking me, but think I might have a good solution incase plan A fails. Might need more aluminum to get it working right.
- Have an aluminum front skid plate in the works. Rear one would be nice too, but harder to mount.
- Picked up the disconnects for my new antenna setup.
- Liftkit steering link bushings are starting to wear in and have less drag.

- Interior tub is cut to fit, need to install a floorpan in new location.
- Still undecided on paint scheme.
- Bed is almost cut down to final dimensions, contemplating installing floor in bed instead of tonnau.
- Trying to decide on a good place for my whip antenna to come out of the bed.

Another pic while in mockup stage.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-23-2007 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to anticasper86
dude you should try to install a sort of wall around the knuckles so snow, dirt, etc doesnt get in the motor and parts.

just sayin

SCION
4WD
yellow suspension front axle
blue suspension rear axle
drift tires
decals kit
stage 2 motor 9-25
reachargable rs batteries
NSX
rs rechargables
stage two white
body kit
foam tire
CIVIC
rs rechargables
AWD
body kit
metal bearing
stage two red
yellow front/ back suspension
tie rods
Old 02-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Tool User

um, ok. I'll bite... What kind of "a sort of wall around the knuckles " are you talking about? Like fenderliners? CV joint boots? Help me out, I'm not really seeing it. As for the "motor and parts", they're pretty much safely away from the knuckles. My motor is a tiny little Bit/ZZ size one completely encased in plastic. And the 'parts' are all safely crammed wherever RadioHack felt like it, which seems to work pretty well for all the other extreme offroad Xmod Evo trucks. Let me know what you're thinking (using easy to understand real terms) and I'll consider it.

Anyway, as this is going to be a highly capible model car that's also RC. I don't really forsee my truck getting a huge amount of runtime in wet / muddy / abrasive enviroments, if I saw it as needing to spend any time in those areas I DEFINATELY wouldn't have given it bearings, nor would I be planning so much detail for it. That's more of the $5 1/24 SS-M territory. I see this truck mostly getting a beating in the Indoor Offroad, doing trails and as a crawler; ofcourse with some time on nice days going outside and doing some real offroad things. For real offroad, my 1/10 scale 2wd stadium truck is still going to be more capible than anything I build into this.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to anticasper86
i just thought that if you would want to protect the few external parts from things that can enter the car you should since you are offroading. But radioshack did a very good job of lowering the number of parts left open.Yes something like a fenderliner could take that position. Im not an offroader, im a drifter with movies and things. Sorry to be picky:]

SCION
4WD
yellow suspension front axle
blue suspension rear axle
drift tires
decals kit
stage 2 motor 9-25
reachargable rs batteries
NSX
rs rechargables
stage two white
body kit
foam tire
CIVIC
rs rechargables
AWD
body kit
metal bearing
stage two red
yellow front/ back suspension
tie rods
Old 08-21-2007, 11:34 PM

hey dude new to this whole sceen, but anywho... how do u munt a modle body onto an xmod evo truck? i cant find it out anywhere and i feel lost stareing at that bare chassis
Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM

it hard

ul need some body moding and will weakin chassis si i would rehiiforce inside and i reccomend fiberglass resin the inside for a strang durable hold if you need my help private mesage me and goodluck