TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 11-07-2006, 01:50 PM

Painting a ZZ

Hi all,

I'm brand new to playing with radio control cars. I'd like to try painting a zz PT Cruiser to match my real PT. I did a search on painting, and came up with hints on how to paint the inside of a lexan body. I don't think that will work with a zz, since it's already painted, and appears to be painted on the outside. I have a few questions regarding painting a zz.

What kind of paint do you use? Brush or rattle can? Any prep necessary? (primer, sanding, etc.). Any masking tips? The headlights, windows, and things are so tiny, I'm not sure how to mask them. I have a few extra bodys to practice on. Some of you guys have some really cool paint schemes on your zips. Any painting tips would be really helpful. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
You are correct, the "painting a lexan body" stuff has NOTHING to do with these. These are painted more like a plastic model.

There is a lot of painting technique around here on the site if you search. Bitpimps has an entire board of their forum dedicated to paint questions http://bitpimps.lixlink.com./pages/phpForum/index.php

For painting bodies, you definately want to use either a rattlecan or airbrush. Brush painting almost always looks horrible on a body.

Prep isn't "nessicary", though if you want it to look really good it usually is very nessicary. Depends on how nice you want it to look, and the condition it has when you start with it. Some bodies you can get by without doing anything to, others need a LOT of work before you start.

For masking, I'd reccomend you buy some of the blue masking tape (easy release stuff) and a good sharp exacto or scalpel blade. You lay tape on the body, press it down into the windows with something like a toothpic, then once you've got very sharp lines showing where your border is, you can slowly come in with the blade and cut away everything that's not your mask. I assume you'll want to mask off the windows, headlights, tail lights...

How about a picture of your PT so we can see what you're aiming for?

Then if you're doing a multi-stage paint scheme, it involves more thought into masking or paint layering, but the results can be quite wicked..

Old 11-07-2006, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply, and link Frizzen. I'll try and post a pic of my PT (the real one) when I get home. It's a two tone black over silver.

The tips you gave will come in handy. I'll look at the bit pimps site later. I looked at it briefly, and it looks like a good site. What kind of prep do you do? Scuff, adhesion promoter, primer? Do you clear after color? Those pics you posted are amazing. That's amazing detail, for a body so small. Good work!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
At the very least I'd reccomend a light scuff to break the gloss and clean water rinse. If there are any body imperfections, definately primer and some sanding; if it's straight, you might be able to get around primer, so it's up to you.

For a Black & Silver, I would suggest you lay the silver down over the whole thing, once it has cured come back and mask off for your black section. Once that's cured too, it'd be a good idea to hit it with a layer of clear, do some detailing, and another layer of clear.

The clear is optional, but if it's going to be driven by anybody inexperienced, it helps your custom paint last longer. Plus you get more shine. (yes, people will repeatedly bash the custom body you spent weeks working on into a wall or table leg.) And if you do the clear before detailing you can correct a detail mistake without as much worry of screwing the base paint.

-
Those pics were a 3 color paint scheme using 2 seperate kandies (LanEvo), a single color kandy (custom truck body), and some dual-stage flames that came on the clone when I got it.