TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-13-2002, 03:35 AM
TinyRC Pro

dual battery mod no speed increase?

I just did the dual battery mod, however my car doesn't seem to go any faster than it already did using a 2.2 engine. Instead the speed is slightly slower than my supra with 3.0 engine. Can anyone care to troubleshoot?

I am using 2 Tomy Ni-Cd
I am not using a tailskid and the second battery is set on the back in front of the spoiler.
I am using a piece of heat shrink as insulation for the first battery and the contact
Red goes to negative of the second battery, black goes to positive of the second battery
black goes to negative of first battery( one inside of chasis), red goes to negative contact.

I also did the controller mod for one of the controllers. When I charge there is no light. How long do I have to charge to charge 2 batteries? I also tried charging a normal charger for 90 seconds. Bit charge is still sluggish

It seems that the extra weight from the second battery negates any kind of speed increase that could have been in effect?
Old 10-13-2002, 11:23 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via ICQ to sine -''-..- Send a message via AIM to sine -''-..-
it sounds like the batteries are wired up in parallel rather than in series. in parallel you would in fact get longer runtimes... but you want speed. or you could have wired up one battery backwards.

i cant fully understand you're explanation of how you wired it up. but it should go as such:

negative terminal on board - to - negative on battery A
positive on battery A - to - negative on battery B
positive on battery B - to - Positive terminal on board

so if you draw it out, it would just be the negative on one end of the picture and the positive on the other end of the picture, and in between would be the two batteries that are both pointing the same way. in a series. as opposed to if you connected the positive of both batteries and negative of both batteries, then it would be in parallel. anyhow. yea.

Last edited by sine -''-..-; 10-13-2002 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:40 AM
TinyRC Pro

What I did was I followed the schematic for dual turbo at
http://questformadness.com/

in schematic it shows negative first cell to positive second cell. negative second cell to positive contact ( Above is wrong it should be positive contact instead of negative contact ) Also using heat shrink as insulation.

It seems that in your description you did it backwards. You wired the negative terminal contact instead of the positive one. Also you wired the positive of the A battery instead of the negative. Is battery A the one inside or outside of the chassis? Does it make a difference the way you are doing it compared to me?
Old 10-13-2002, 12:06 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via ICQ to sine -''-..- Send a message via AIM to sine -''-..-
it dosent matter which battery is where. heres a drawing of how batteries would be hooked up.
Attached Images
File Type: gif batteries.gif (12.8 KB, 335 views)
Old 10-14-2002, 02:46 AM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via Yahoo to e_lm_70
The idea to have an additional external heavy second battery sound terrible to me.

I'm going to get two micro cell 1.2V 43mAh 12x6mm, put in serie, it will provide a great 2.4V and no extra weight. (the VARTA 12x6 cell cost 3$ each)

So far I tried out with some low quality button battery (Li not rechargable) but under power request these button battery where dropping from 4.5V (3x1.5V) to a crap 1.4V.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:13 PM
TinyRC Pro

Ok I finally figured out and it works now. It was the batteries in the charger all along I replace with new ones and now the car flies!
With 2.2 motor it easily beats 2.6 motors like hitting the NOS button heheh. BTW does anyone know how long do I have to charge on a modified controller?
Old 10-14-2002, 12:21 PM
BIT PIMP

90 sec. to 120 sec

silla
Old 10-17-2002, 12:10 AM
sLaNteD ViSiOnS

Send a message via AIM to BaY oN AiM
Modified controller: 3-4 minutes

Home made Stand alone 3 cell charger: 3 minutes

Home made plug in charger 3V: 2-3 minutes

Basically you don't want to get the battery in the car hot. You can
take it off the charger and put the bottom of the car on your cheak to
see how warm it is. It can get warm just not hot.

- Me

OH YEAH, GO KILL A BIRD!