TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Mods and Projects

Old 01-09-2004, 11:22 AM
sLoWly gOInG iNsAnE

Unequal Right and Left Turning Radius Fix

I have been noticing something continuously wrong with my XMOD. The turning radius to the left is smaller than the turning radius to the right. I have tried everything to fix this from remounting the servo horn (http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthr...ght=servo+horn) to remolding the steering linkage tie-rod (http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....t=steering+mod). Nothing has worked to my satisfaction to date. I have also tried increasing the turning radius by modifying the pot resistors on the control board (http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthr...ring+mod+works). The increased steering mod does work wonders. One problem with AWD is that you must reduce the amount of steering using the ST. RANGE control dial on the controller to keep the universal joints from binding up when the wheels are turned too much. After all of this the left and right turning radi were still unequal. What the heck? I figured out the problem is independent of the servo or the servo controller. The only thing left is the steering signal coming from the handheld remote controller. Sure enough, there is a small flaw in the controller causing this. There are stops built into the steering hub (the thing that looks like a tire and rim). These stops allow the steering hub to be turned to the left the full amount, yet the stop when going to the right prematurely ends the travel. There is still more command travel left in the controller, yet the arched groove does not extend far enough to the right thus stopping it too early. The fix is to just use a Dremel or X-Acto to remove material on the right hand side of the tab on the backside of the steering hub. This will allow full available right turn command to be sent to the XMOD's receiver. Well I hope that this helps everyone. Have Fun.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Happiness is a warm gun..

Send a message via AIM to spitty12
The rear end of your car could also be out of alignment. My left tire will come off the ground before the right one causing the inside wheel to lift around left handed turns. This is due to the rear black plate being warped. I used aluminum foil spacers under the 3 position mounting point on the right side of the car to even it out
Old 01-09-2004, 02:30 PM
sLoWly gOInG iNsAnE

Other problem than just the car

Quote:
Originally posted by spitty12
The rear end of your car could also be out of alignment. My left tire will come off the ground before the right one causing the inside wheel to lift around left handed turns. This is due to the rear black plate being warped. I used aluminum foil spacers under the 3 position mounting point on the right side of the car to even it out
Trust me, I have gone through every geometric possibility for this behavior and found nothing. I own a Supra and a RSX. Both cars exhibit the same behavior. I know for certain the rear of both cars is in good alignment. I pinpointed this problem to the controller by observing the unequal angle of servo travel from left to right. I saw the same problem with both cars. I at first thought it must be from the built-in servo limiting RS had hardwired into the control boards. After doing the increased steering range mod I had to dial down the steering range to keep from binding the u-joints. I noticed the same left-right difference still existed. Ouch! This is when I turned my attention to the controller. Sure enough, there is where the problem has been all along. After trimming down the stop tab on the steering knob, my left to right turning radius is identical, with zero modifications to the car itself. Just give it a try.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:40 PM
I really should change my title...

mines is also small right and HUGE left. i dont think it is becuase left travels more. i counted the steps and they both have 14 steps. when yours was eneven, did they have the same steps?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:29 PM
"Its OK I had subway"

Do u have any pics cause im still kind of confused
Old 01-09-2004, 10:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Joey
So there were all these threads, with in-depth and technologically meticulous modifications to fix the problem, and not only is it in the controller, it's not even electrical?

The irony is just sickening. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 PM

pics?

RSX...FWD..soft tread F & hard tread R tires..gloss black skyline wheels..crystal clear headlights..euro taillights..4.5 tie rod..lights..red suspension arms..red springs..alloy nuts
white Supra...RWD..doubled rear stock tires..white 5 spoke wheels(from 1st RS upgrade)..lowered..st.2 drift..lights..alloy nuts
350Z...Supra wheels..chrome exhaust tips..lowered..lights..lifted rear with spacers for leveled stance..alloy nuts..body match painted supra wheels
black Skyline...AWD..RSX wheels..lowered..all orange painted silvers..st.2 drift..lights..yellow springs..alloy nuts
67' Camaro...lights..reversed rear wheels..alloy nuts
NSX..RSX wheels..smoked headlight housing..lights..alloy nuts
black Civic...lights..lowered..Skyline clip..black Supra wheels
yellow Skyline, outdoor car..LITHS..AWD - front LSD & locked rear..drift tires or hard tires..dipped 9T st. 2 motor..black chassis, rear upper deck & motor holders..yellow springs...rear monoshock..F&R alloy cups, shafts, and knuckles
F150 mods include fets, 7.4V liths, st1 motor with stock gearing, F&R gpm diffs monster tires, bearings, lift kit and 4WD.
silver Supra on evo chassis, liths, AWD, lowering kit, wide rear stance, st2, bearings, 1.5 TR, F&R gpm knuckles
G35 rolling chassis
H2 rolling chassis
Cobra,rolling chassis
red Supra SOLD
65' Mustang...SOLD
Corvette... SOLD
WRX...SOLD
blue Civic...SOLD
Old 01-10-2004, 12:09 AM
itsme

I had one of those problems...turned out I had two different back tires <_< stupid as it is I was surprised, it would oversteer right, barely would even turn left...
Old 01-10-2004, 12:38 AM
I really should change my title...

can it also be uneven from like putting the tires on crooked?
Old 01-10-2004, 03:39 AM
boro dori style RC

when i put in the bearings on my car the left rear axle went out crooked so i just stuck 1 bearing and a bushing, also the uneven suspension but i sanded down one side so they would be even. i also tryed centering my servo and checking if anything was wrong with the differential and checked the whole drivetrain. never tried the electronics tho. but if its just from the stoopid wheel on the controller thats a total mind blower

anyways ill check my controller
Old 01-10-2004, 05:38 PM
sLoWly gOInG iNsAnE

Looks like someone else found the same thing

Ok everyone, I have just looked at the modification suggested in the thread posted above at Xmodworld.com (http://xmodworld.com/modules.php?nam...ewtopic&t=1653). This is exactlly what I did. Simply remove material from the tab on the steering knob and there you go. This can be done on the stock steering knob or on the one included with the steering/supension upgrade kit (I think this is the kit that includes the steering wheel looking knob). Anyway, I don't plan on posting any pics since it would be a repeat of the thread posted at xmodworld.com. If you really want further explanation or just really want to see pics of my modification I will post them. If not then I will use my time to figuring out some other helpful mods (like a 6-cell 2/3AAA saddle pack battery configuration: 7.2V at only 54% of the weight of a regular 6-cell upgrade). Until then, happy modding ;-)
Old 01-12-2004, 10:18 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to RGM1524
very cool, I'll definitly be using this mod when I get home today. Props to you and the xmod world guy!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 AM
sLoWly gOInG iNsAnE

Thank you RGM1524 for your complement.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:46 PM
Mad Scientist

On a related note, I have seen a similar issue, not with the steering, but with the throttle. One of my friends has a Supra with a six-cell mod. His car does not run nearly as fast as it should, in fact it was hardly any faster than everyone else, all of whom were all running four cells. Well, it turns out that using his transmitter, he only gets 6V to the motor. We tried one of my transmitters, and it gave 6.7V. I don't know if his batteries were low at the time, but on my car, I was getting about 7.1V at the motor terminals under full throttle,which is about right, because the voltage will drop a bit due to the load of the motor.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Hippygeek

I have 2 Xmods. A Civic and an RSX. The RSX steers fine but the Civic had this issue. I don't know if my prob was different but I found that the tire was rubbing the front bumper when I turned right but not left. I have the body kit installed. I trimmed a little plastic off of the inside of the bumper and that fixed my prob. Just something else to check.