TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 03-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Track Surface

Hi Everyone

I'm looking for EVERYONE'S feedback on track surfaces. I'm getting ready to build a track that brings Dnano to the next level But... I need to know what a good lane width and surface for mini z's and also has anyone used any other surfaces for racing the Dnano's other than the Kyosho track

I'll start by saying I have built a home track with some carpet from Lowes it is very much like the Kyosho carpet
Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM

Also what kind of timing software and scoring loop for the mini z's
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Well I have only raced on the HTU Kyosho track myself but I have read about the Realtracks and RCP track and those seem to work well. If your really industrious this may work for you, I saw these http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=331314 at my local Sam's club and bought a package for the kids to use with the WII. I tried out my cars on the smooth, gray side and both cars seemed to work well on this. At $22 for 33sq feet you could build your own borders and put up a nice home track for minimal $'s with two or three packs of this stuff.

Ideally I'd suggest the type of material that Nanotrax uses as the layout can be changed with ease and your not limited to a fixed layout/layouts as you are with a prebuilt track. However I have not been able to find a source for this material, the mat I linked above is the closest I've found.

For lane width you need 2 feet for racing Dnano's, if it will only be you on the track you could get away with 16"-20" inches but I've never used a mini-z so I dont know how much space thay need.

HTH
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Cool

I have gone down the same road as you with the carpet from Lowe's. Unfortunately, the fibers do eventually work loose and get caught in your car's axle. The picture below shows the track when it was still carpet. I have since replaced it with EVA soft linking mats (also purchased from Lowe's) which works extremely well. My lane widths are 22" in straight aways and 24" in curves. I have recently purchased the Kyosho IC tag lapcounter home edition. I have not had time yet to install it but it seems to be the best option if not the only one for dnano.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1053-1.jpg (30.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
best timing software and hardware for boh mini-z and dnano would be the flipside racing + kyosho ic tag lap counter (you'll need to pick up some ic tags for mini-z). i think hard surfaces are just bad for small cars so yeah, stick to eva foam. those mats that chris suggested are the same thing we started with, just in a larger size.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to MRB1GG Send a message via Yahoo to MRB1GG
Why do you feel hard surfaces are bad for smaller cars ?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM

RCP Mini-96

RCP Mini-96 is the way to go! Why re-invent the wheel. RCP is pretty much the national standard for Mini-Z. It is light weight portable, durable, sturdy strong, indistructable, not to mention it has great traction and the foam barriers are very easy on the bodies. It is a much better surface than carpet. You can probably even run the same setup. My Dnano actually handles better on RCP than the Hobby Town Carpet. I am not sure why Hobby Town and Kyosho just didn't go with the Mini-96. I think they run something like $259.00 dollars don't quote me on that though. You can change configurations very easily the locking tiles don't fall apart. You can walk on them spill drinks on them, you can't kill these things they don't fade, paint doesn't come off. I can't say enough about these tracks. You could buy multiple tracks and have layouts as big as Nano trax if you have the space.

If your ever in Greensboro hit me up 336-382-0719 stop by my shop and run on my track. It is not a Mini-96 but it is RCP and you will see what I am talking about.

Jay
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB1GG View Post
Why do you feel hard surfaces are bad for smaller cars ?
put simply:
hard = more potential damage
soft = less potential damage

cars are going to hit the sides, hit each other, rollover, etc and its just common sense to reduce potential damage. i think RCP is great and they've really improved options with their curve sections. unfortunately, its very expensive and difficult to import and that's the reason we never considered incorporating it into our plan at nanotrax. in the coming months, we plan on installing a seamless surface which is ideal for miniature car racing -especially dnano- since this scale is so sensitive to surface conditions.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to MRB1GG Send a message via Yahoo to MRB1GG
Thumbs up

Oh ok I was just curious as to why you felt that although I've run on the htu track foam track and hard tracks despite the different surface compounds I haven't had anymore damage from any of the surfaces I feel its personal preference mine being the hard surface tracks partially because of the realism anyway that's my 2 cents. : )Quote: Originally Posted by MRB1GG Why do you feel hard surfaces are bad for smaller cars ? put simply:hard = more potential damagesoft = less potential damagecars are going to hit the sides, hit each other, rollover, etc and its just common sense to reduce potential damage. i think RCP is great and they've really improved options with their curve sections. unfortunately, its very expensive and difficult to import and that's the reason we never considered incorporating it into our plan at nanotrax. in the coming months, we plan on installing a seamless surface which is ideal for miniature car racing -especially dnano- since this scale is so sensitive to surface conditions.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Rcp

I can see where shipping RCP to Thailand could be pricey. I think your track is totally cool. However I think for the average Dnano enthusiast RCP if the probably the easiest, most durable and portable system.

I should be a sales rep for this stuff. RCP changed my life! There is nothing like small scale indoor racing! RCP makes it possible. Any one with couple of hundred bucks can make it happen! That's a drop in the bucket for the average RC hobbyist.

Jay
Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM

...see my many posts regarding running surfaces ... I tested over a hundred. The D'nano and Mini-Z are world's apart with respect to surfaces that are best for each respective scale ...you cannot use ANY fiborous surface for d'nano. None, nada, zero ...even the very finest Ozite and high grade felt surfaces failed miserably, unless you enjoy cleaning out your front bearings every 5 minutes.

I don't want to shamlessly plug the roll-up (seamless) foam rubber I use, as I may end up actually end up selling the stuff, but it was the only surface that gave the control and handling of foam, without the disruptive seams. There are some pictures of what it looks like and the test results in posts I made earlier this year. - Lorne
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Hi Lorne where do I find the rolls of foam and what is it called how wide and how long
Old 03-07-2010, 09:04 PM

I think Lornes roll up tracks are awesome! I think a seemless track would be awesome as well. The seams that RCP have apear to have a seemless affect on the cars though. Still a hundred times better than the Hobby town bumpy carpet tracks. Really the RCP seams are a non issue IMO. When my Dnano is speeding down that 24 ft straight the only thing I am worried about is how quick I can get around the track to do it again!

Jay
Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM

...the roll-up sheet foam rubber is 72" wide (recent factory rolls have been 73" wide), X whatever length you want, up to 30 feet.

This surface is custom made for us from a Canadian flooring manufacturer. Send me an email to lecherry@rogers.com if you want more details. I've had many enquiries over the last month or so, so I'm going to do another factory run very soon.

I'm also building a 20' full road course now, inspired by some drawings Sinister did. (Thanks, Sinister ... I'm working to get the costs of that complex course down). And, I'm working on some of the generic infield pieces, so that they may be standardized and we can bring the cost of the tracks down somewhat.