TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CinnaBun
Xmod Evo Truck HD Dogbone Mod

Ok, So I have an Evo Truck (F 150) and I killed one of the dogbones just running around the living room with my stock truck. Anyway, I went to return it and RS wouldn't exchange it, so I brought it home and started looking into dogbone replacements. I saw GPM makes some, however they will not work with the lift kit, as they are too short. So, I made my own indestrucable dogbones out of stock Gen1 Xmod axles.

Ok, here is what you will need to complete this mod:
-Xmod Evo
-Gen 1 rear axles (you will need 4 rear axles to make 2 dogbones)
-Exacto Knife
-Vise (or something that can hold things firmly)
-Pliars
-Superglue or something of the like
-Dremel with cutting bit and sanding drum bit

Tools needed:

Xmod axles: (need the ones on the left)

Step 1:
Take your gen1 axle shafts with the black plastic dogbone ends and pop two of the dog bone ends off of two of the shafts. I put my shafts in a vise and used a screw driver to pry the plastic pieces off, however you'd like to do it, just try not to damage the plastic end pieces, as they are what you need from the shafts. Now that you have your plastic pieces seperated from the axle shafts, you can set the actual metal shafts aside, as you will not need them for the rest of the mod.

Here is the shaft in the vise ready to be seperated:

And here is what you need to keep when you seperate them:

Step 2:
Now, take your other 2 axles and grab your dremel with the cutting bit. This is where the lift kit version and the stock version are different, so I'll post it up for the stock version and the lifted version seperately. STOCK VERSION: Ok, now grab your axle shaft with rear dogbone end and note the D shaped end of the axle. You will note the D shape turns into a fully round shaft in about the middle of the shaft. From this point, you are going to cut the shaft 2-3mm from where the D shaped part of the shaft begins (closest to the dogbone end side, farthest from the threaded axle end). LIFTED VERSION: you will need to make the shaft cut just a little farther back from the cut point of the stock version I believe. My truck is not lifted, so I don't know how long the lifted azle shafts are.

A pic of the cut axle: (top one)

Step 4:
Now, take the dogbone end that you removed from the previous shaft and you will need to make the hole a little bit bigger to accept the size of the shaft. Be careful, this is where I messed up 3 out of my 4 tries. The dogbone end is very easy to split, so take your time. Actually for the last time I did it, I just used my exacto knife and twisted it inside the hole of the dogbone end until the hole was big enough. You are going to want a snug fit between the shaft and the hole in the dogbone end.

Hole bored out:

Step 5:
Test fit the shafts and make sure they are the correct length. If they are too long than you will need to remove a little bit more of the shaft to make it shorter.

Finished HD dogbones test fit (unglued):

Step 6:
Once the shafts fit is good, apply superglue in the hole of the dogbone end and insert the shaft and let dry. This will be your complete Modified Gen1 dogbone made to fit the Xmod Evo Truck. Reassemble the truck as you took it apart and go enjoy your heavy duty dogbones.

A pic of the finished product all assembled and glued:

Now, for the pros and cons

PROS:
-Heavy duty
-Composite dogbone ends
-Metal dogbone shafts
-Better fit in Evo axle and diff cups

CONS:
-weigh a few grams more
-Dogbone ends and diff/axle cups may bind a tiny bit when suspension is fully compressed, however I havnt tested this yet.
-If mod is not done correctly and carefully, you could cause excessive binding and overheat motor/electronics

**Cinnabun is not responsible for any mods you make to your truck and is not responsible for any damage that may occur during modding of your vehicle.**

If there is enough interest, I may make a few sets of dogbones, However I am not able to find a large supply of Xmod Gen 1 rear axles, so for right now, that is on hold

Now go enjoy your new Evo axles! I hope this mod works for you guys as well as it worked for me. Pics will be added later this week or beginning of next week if there is an interest.

CinnaBun