TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Dnano's potential weaknessess

Here is a place where you can post weaknessess that you've found with your Dnano. Weather it's a weak plastic part, loose screws, or whatever.
I've found a weak spot when racing mine on my RCP track. It seems after several turn's, the inside screw that holds the wheel mount in place keep's coming off! I then have to search frantically for it on the track, very, very hard to see that tiny little screw on the dark rough surface. Fortunetly though, the surface prevent's the screw from bouncing away and getting really lost! What can be done to fix this? I'm tempted to use the blue thread locking stuff, but might make maintanance harder. We need to be able to remove this peice to clean out the lint so that the wheel's can spin freeley. Is it worth thread locking it to keep from coming apart? Here's a picture of the part I'm talking about.

It's not the wheel that fall's off, it's this wheel mounting peice that fall's off cause of the inside screw that keep's coming undone! Any suggestions?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcro View Post
Here is a place where you can post weaknessess that you've found with your Dnano. Weather it's a weak plastic part, loose screws, or whatever.
I've found a weak spot when racing mine on my RCP track. It seems after several turn's, the inside screw that holds the wheel mount in place keep's coming off! I then have to search frantically for it on the track, very, very hard to see that tiny little screw on the dark rough surface. Fortunetly though, the surface prevent's the screw from bouncing away and getting really lost! What can be done to fix this? I'm tempted to use the blue thread locking stuff, but might make maintanance harder. We need to be able to remove this peice to clean out the lint so that the wheel's can spin freeley. Is it worth thread locking it to keep from coming apart? Here's a picture of the part I'm talking about.

It's not the wheel that fall's off, it's this wheel mounting peice that fall's off cause of the inside screw that keep's coming undone! Any suggestions?
Are you using the locking tool and torquing fairly decent? This is a steel screw going into aluminum instead of plastic so you can give it a little more oomph than the other screws in plastic. You can use Loctite 242 (blue) but use a _tiny_ bit or you may have trouble getting it off. You may want to try Loctite 222 (purple) as it is low strength.

I do recall tourquing pretty sturdy when I installed the bearings. Obviously not hard, but enough to where I could feel the threads seat.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:13 AM

Hi there, I just used that tiny little orange screw driver that came with it. Perhap's I didn't tighten it enough. I never knew about the purple Loctite, only the red and blue. It'll be hard to get a tiny amount on a tiny screw. The screw is so small that even just a dab might be too much. As for having trouble getting it off, that's why I'd NEVER use the red stuff. That's like extra strength super glue!
However, I will be getting the Dnano screw driver kit soon, and I'm sure that'll work much better than that dinky orange thing. Plus, I've put away my track for now so the car's won't be going any where any time soon anyway.
When I raced my stock 360 Dnano, I didn't have any problems with it's wheel hub coming off, but then again, it wasn't as fast and didn't corner as sharply as the Murcielago did. I think it's the friction of the front wheels turning sharply at high speeds that causes this issue.
But I tell yea, this stand I made for it sure makes working on it a lot easier!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Yeah the one expensive tool I splurged on was the aluminum screwdriver and I am glad I did. I feel if I didn't have it, the little wrenching I have done so far would have been a lot harder with my jewelers screwdrivers or that red thing..

On Loctite they have lots more strengths than just those 3. Red is for decent sized automotive fasteners and takes 400 degrees to break so unless it's the right application, stay away The tip for getting a small amount on a screw is to put a drop on a table, put the screw in the driver, stabilize with index finger and just dip the tip in the pool of Loctite. That way you can control how little you get on it.