TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Home made disc-damper "Black Fiberglass?"

Well, since my Dad has this great workshop in the basement, and has a bunch of model airplane hardware, I decided to make my own disc-damper for my 360 Modena to prevent the hopping. After all, it ain't a lowrider so hopping not required. HA!
Anyway, I've got this big sheet of what look's like black fiberglass. It's thin enough for the space needed on the Dnano, thin enough to work with, yet stiff enough to do the job. I've also got ton's of tiny screws, and I've taken out the front springs from a failed 1/43 scale Epoch.
Since I'm stuipdly afraid of useing Dad's power tools, I made this peice useing only a dremel tool, "I know it's a power tool but not as threatening." a file, an ice-pick sort of tool for marking the holes, and a vice for holding the material.
Well, first peice is the top peice, the disk. Not bad for first one, but as I usually do, the holes dont' quite line up right so the screws are mounted in at an angle to get it to fit. But for now, it seems to work. Second step is to make the bottom plate. Then, figure out exactly how to make the thing work but I've got Kyosho's disc-damper on the MR02 RM chassis that I can look at for inspiration.
Fortunetly, I've got plenty of this material left for making better and better bit's.
I was thinking about making a two spring set up like the side to side roll shock's made for the MR02's. What do you all think?

First step: Find the right sized screws for the four holes.

Second step: Make the bottom bracket.

Third: Top peice.

Hardware: A couple of washers, Epoch springs, a ruber grommet for cusioning, a tiny nut for the top.

Top mounted on chassis.

I filed out a slot for the battery hatch to open.

Please give me your inputs, ideas, and suggestions. Thank you!
Once I've made this unit successful and functional, I'll make the second one pretty!

Last edited by Marcro; 07-20-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:06 PM

Well, it's finished and it appears to work well! The car still skips a little on the turns but that might be due to it fighting for grip. I do however notice less hopping and faster turns. With this set up, I can just barely adjust the damping effect by changing the spring out. I'm useing the springs from my Lit for this car. Now, I need to make another disc-damper for my Murcielago if I can figure out why it's quitting on me.

For the disc's, I'm useing a pair of washers that's inner diameter is the same as the screw.

I hope you can see it in this photo, but there is the yellow spring inside sandwhiched between the top deck and lower deck.

I have yet to try this one with the X-speed motor, but so far I can go full throttle around the turns.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:33 PM

Fantastic! Marc you really did a good job there, two suggestions for what its worth, I check out some nylon washers the same size, I think the friction between the fiberglass and nylon would be better or smoother than metal to fiberglass. also if you match the top plate template more to the shape of the ATM or others its probably more for asthetics but hey might as well make it look sexy while you are at it. Again great job, and if its not too much trouble I'd pay ya for one for my murci! even if it was just materials.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM

Hi there nic-Z, thank's for the compliments. I worked hard on this project as I didnt' want it to look crap, yet, I was still aiming for functionality. I've got plenty of the sheet left, it's a little larger than a peice of paper. Hard parts are finding the four silver screws. I got mine from a set of servo gears my Dad had laying around for his model airplanes. Hey, when he's not home it's an open shop! LOL!
I wouldn't mind making the top and bottom plates for you, but you might want to find your own hardware for it.
I do notice that the top shelf flexes a bit and that might be due to the fact that since I didnt' line up the holes 100% perfectly, that they might not be on as tight as they should be. That, or the rear shelfe that the top plate is mounted to is flexible in it's selfe. I do see the rear spring compress when I push on the car's rear, so I like to beleive it's working. As stated, it does seem to hop less, but I still notice it skip's on fast turns and that again could be the tires trying to grip.
Either way, it does seem to be functioning, and let's face it, it does look prety trick right? LOL!
Let's hope it give Kyosho some thinking!
I'll look for the washers you suggested as I agree with you. We have this awesome shop down town called OEM's and it's a big store that has every peice of hardware you can think of from ball bearings of every size, springs every size, old osciliscope electronics, brackets, basically everything you need to scratch build a computer or a robot, they've got it.
I'll have to get some cash and head over their tomarow. But yea, I'd love to make plates for you, and if I can find enough washers, I'll supply those too. Whatever I can find, I'll supply.
I'm even thinking about making several of these and selling theme on ebay. What, 15 buck's a kit maybe? Question is, can one size fit all chassis, or would the Murcielago need a differently lengthed top plate than that of the Modena? I'm actually thinking it'll be the same since the slot on the top shelfe will help with the length. We'll see when I make my second one for my Murcielago.

Last edited by Marcro; 07-21-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Remember, this is my first prototype, I'm sure the next couple of peices will look better and work better as each one is made.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Here's a video of my disc-damper in action. I think you can see how much smoother it is. Less hopping. End of the video shows me working the suspension up close for the camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4TdiSTNNrs
Old 07-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Man am I one stupid person. I took the Dnano chassis with me down town to look for the hardware needed for it. I could only find the tiny screws for mounting the plates to the car, and the washers. However, the washers are not nylon, they are black metal. I also could not find the center screw needed for mounting the washers and the spring, however I think I've got a few left at home.
Anyway, dumb ass me, I got home, got distracted sorting out my laundry, and forgot the Dnano was in my pant's pocket. Needless to say, the Dnano got tossed in the laundry. Fortuently, I HOPE, I caught it in time and it look's okay. I took my air compressor and dried it as best as I could. I'll have to let it dry a couple of day's before testing it. I sure hope I didn't ruin it. God I feel so stupid. Good news is the battery was not in place, but, still dont' know if the electronics will survive. Let's hope so.