TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-16-2003, 12:35 AM
Garage Rocker

Rally car gallery

Ok, I'm just starting a rally car gallery to show off my new rally car, but I would like to see other peoples rally cars, and I know they're out there. So let's see your Subies, and Lancers. Heck There is even a Beetle rally car. I that's what I'll make out of the clear body, when I get my Beetle body set

For now I'll start it off with my Peugeot rally car. I bought this Cannonball clone for parts, but before I made it home I had already fallen in love with the idea of making this my rally car. I put the knobbies that came with my Motorworks clone on it. Put the 2-hole sway bar from the hop up kit on it. That raises the front end to clear the slightly oversized offroad tires, and gives the front end a spring-like suspension. I added an air dam I made from a piece of ZZ packageing. It's already a screamer, but this weekend it's getting 2 cells under the body.

I thought a paint blob theme would work well on a rally car. If the blue blobs look a bit contrasting to the graphics, that was my intention. It's supposed to look like there was already a nice graphic job, then I just splashed through a puddle of blue paint. That's the way a good paint blob should be done, in my opinion anyways.

Usually scuffing the body with sandpaper a bit, and then wiping with mineral spirits is more than adequate to get a good bond from the paint, but for some odd reason the clone body refused to take paint. It repeled it, and most ran off. I had to give it a thorough sanding, and even then lay the paint kinda heavy to get it to stick. Despite the set backs, I think I still got a decent job out of it. I hate to be outsmarted by inanimate objects.

I gave the blobs dimension by putting shadows on the bottoms with a blue Sharpie marker, and then since the body plastic is white, I added highlights by scratching them in with an Exacto. You have to be very careful clear coating over marker, and my can of paint was on it's last drops, and started to sputter, so I blurred a couple blobs on the hood a tiny bit, but I'm otherwise real happy with it.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Garage Rocker

Here's the dual cell conversion. It just barely fits under the body.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:36 PM
V-tec aholic

that car's ill kid! like tha paint alot and the peugot is tha shyt on the wrc. how did you get the rims black like that? i did my skylines rims black with a sharpie marker and it makes um look kinda blue a lil.

27MHZ/SKYLINE/2.6/DUEL CELL MOD/ANTENA MOD/STERING SPRING MOD/WHEELY BAR MOD/CARBON FIBER HOOD LOOK.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM
<(- -)> <- Yoda

here's an early picture of the WRX I made before I screwed up with the decals...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light.jpg (39.5 KB, 537 views)
Old 04-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Garage Rocker

Quote:
how did you get the rims black like that? i did my skylines rims black with a sharpie marker and it makes um look kinda blue a lil.
Usually I use a Testors paint marker, but that is hiding from me this week, so I used a Super Sharpie w/ "Industrial strength permanent ink" The ink is black and not purplish. I wish I could tell you where to get one, except I have no idea where this one came from. It just showed up in my apartment one day. I assumed my wife brought it home from work, and asked her to get more, but she says she's never seen it before. Oh well, gift from heaven I guess.

Impreza WR reX, is that a die cast, or did you cut the windows out, and add the scoop?

The decals you messed up, where they ones the guy on ebay sells? 'Cause that was my plan for a rally car. I was going to get a Blue MS WRX, and buy a decal set off that guy. I still will someday.

Last edited by crazydave; 04-18-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2003, 04:42 PM
CaboWabo

fantastic job on shading the droplets crazydave, very impressive!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:08 PM
<(- -)> <- Yoda

Yeah, I cut the windows out and made the scoop. The decals I made myself, but the colors I used didn't match. I plan to try another one after I finish all the other bodies I'm working on.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:32 PM
they say im slooooow eh?

Nice job crazydave... That's tight!
Old 04-19-2003, 06:04 PM
XMOD AUDI TT (my wish)

the blobs looks exactly as u intended them to...

mad props dude, u got mad skiiil
Old 04-19-2003, 06:28 PM
smoove operator

outstanding job dave! that detail is just amazing at such a small scale.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:49 PM
isk8element too.

Send a message via Yahoo to isk8blind
wheres you get that gear that goes on the motor? whats it have like 10 teeteh? ill but it from you.
2 ZZ yellow &black honda civic
and 3 clones & a pcb.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:44 AM
they say im slooooow eh?

I just took another look at that pic, and noticed those sweet droplet lookin things on there.... Dam good job on that! It looks rounded and everything
Old 04-21-2003, 05:46 PM
yellow fish forever!

Send a message via AIM to cowfish_29
i keep looking at it, and i get more amazed every time. Man, i gotta get one of those bodies. I love the wheels and tires, they give it a real rally look. How do they grip?

and the paint!

good job!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Garage Rocker

Well I'm glad y'all like it. It's probably my favorite car right now.

Quote:
wheres you get that gear that goes on the motor? whats it have like 10 teeteh? ill but it from you.
Yeah, it's 10 teeth, 7.2:1 final drive. It's what comes in the Cannonball clones. They're kinda noisy, and the back end of the chassis is lengthened slightly to accomodate the large pinion. Which means it doesn't fit standard bit bodies.

Actually the 7.2:1 is too high for a rally car. I need a 12:1 so I can off road. As it is, it has trouble pulling itself on carpet with dual cells and the high gearing. So I would be glad to trade for a 9.86:1, or 12:1 gearset, and I have I a stripped down Cannonball chassis I can throw in, but I'm not sure it would do either of us any good.

Quote:
I love the wheels and tires, they give it a real rally look. How do they grip?
The tires are the ones that come with the Motorworks clones from Walmart. They are very soft, and grip excellent. The fronts grip too good. Instant flips, even before I dual celled it. I'm going to get a hold of some springs for the front end, see if that helps.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:12 PM
isk8element too.

Send a message via Yahoo to isk8blind
what do you want for the chasis with the 10 tooth gear and the axle junk? it doesnt need a motor. i have 12:1 gearing too. email me at isk8blind3@hotmail.com
2 ZZ yellow &black honda civic
and 3 clones & a pcb.