TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Science

Old 08-19-2004, 11:29 PM
boro dori style RC

xmoddrifter: does your car lag alot on launches? i think you have excessive gear play involved too... you might want to stick to a gear type lsd for a 2wd xmod so you dont get that slip and lag.

lancer11: LSD is, Limited Slip DIfferential, basically an lsd tries to keep both drive wheels spinning at the same speed or at a limited difference, hence the name limited slip differential. why would you want this?
-first you want to know why we have differentials.. basically when you turn the inside wheel turns slower then the outside. if you had no diff just a solid axle youd have alot of wheel hop and would find it hard to turn... if it snows where you live u'll find urself sideways into trees and such too... most street cars are equipped with open differentials. basically free gear diffs.. open diff does have its disadvantages...
-if you notice on cars not equipped with lsd, open diff the inside tire wants to spin from loss of traction due to the weight being shifted to he outside tire.. this usually gets you scrubbing tire and really messing up track time. drag racing and burnouts youll notice your car will want to leave only one tiremark..
-why not just have no diff and go locked? its really a pain to drive around with a locked (usually welded) differential. car vibrates and wheel hop. u'll notice in xmods the car will corner very unpridictably... and so lsd's bridges the gap.
there are different types of lsd's as well.. viscous, helical, clutch and so on... which in almost all cases will cost you a pretty penny... good ones usually run about 1k. they all pretty much have the same purpose... prevent pegleg burnouts and diffing out.
-if you want to take it to extremes, drifters use lsds to keep both rear wheels spinning and to keep slides going... (with open diff. all you are doing is dragging one wheel and burning the other....) (goddamit i want the 1.5 way kaaz unit!!! >__<. ill stop ranting now)

Last edited by spinitsidewayz!; 08-19-2004 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:43 AM
carslothe

Talking lsd

I made a lsd for my x-mod by packing grease in the dif-case. If you use hevey enuf grease you will get a lsd. I used the stock grease that came with the car and find it to light.I'm considering
going to crapy tire to buy thicker stuf and maybe try 5th wheel grease. If you try this becarefull not to get any grease outside the case. It would be like pouring tar in your car motor, so clean the out side of the diff-case before installing it in your car. this is one way you could make a lsd for your x-mod on the cheap.
the other guy's method useing plates sounds like a viscuse clutch diff and might be better than my idea. good luck.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
boro dori style RC

grease in the differential has already been tried. doesnt pack enough lock and wears out quickly. metal plates/disks work much more effectively yet sometimes not as smooth. and for note: viscous lsd = "liquid lsd". found optional on some rwd cars and doesnt lock for crap...
Old 11-18-2004, 06:18 AM
carslothe

yea your'e right about the grease I used being to light but the trucking industry has a grease for their 5th wheel plates (the big flat greasy on the back). This stuff is thick and your goal is not to lock your dif but put resitance in it.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to RacinSkillZ101 Send a message via Yahoo to RacinSkillZ101
i honestly like this mod, im using it up front and in the back, whats great about a plate type lsd is i can adjust each diff form no power transfer to fully locked... also allows you to switch between FWD, RWD, AWD and NWD "No wheel drive" in other words have both diffs opened completely so no power is transfered and your motor just revs, i know its not practical but it would be cool
Old 12-14-2004, 01:48 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to color0
Quote:
Originally posted by spinitsidewayz!
grease in the differential has already been tried. doesnt pack enough lock and wears out quickly. metal plates/disks work much more effectively yet sometimes not as smooth. and for note: viscous lsd = "liquid lsd". found optional on some rwd cars and doesnt lock for crap...
i have a liquid lsd... except i used silicone sealant... it locks pretty readily. but if the liquid you refer to is like grease or vaseline, etc. then yea, it's ineffective.

but silicone works well, provided you don't put in too much and lock the diff up.

Greyscale Racing
Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 AM
carslothe

ofna rc has dif locking oil from 1000wt to 120 000wt.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:21 PM
TinyRC Pro

which weight would seem appropriate for xmod diffs?

i read that satokatsu or one of his friends used 30,000 weight oil i think. not sure, need to check the website back.

*edit* driver was R.P.K.48, and the 30,000 weight oil is confirmed.

Greyscale Racing

Last edited by color0; 12-21-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 PM
I really should change my title...

I've got some questions:

I just installed the AWD kit and was wondering what is the difference betwen the two red diffs in the kit.

I know the rear diff uses ball bearings and I'm guessing that the front diff uses cone gears like the old white rear diff. Am I guessing correctly?

What would happen if I put ball bearings in the front diff? I was thinking of doing the washer mod to the rear diff and using the ball bearings in the front.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to RacinSkillZ101 Send a message via Yahoo to RacinSkillZ101
ball bearing diff is a lil more limited than the gear diff. the washer mod is superior to any rs diff, and is adjustable.

putting the bb diff in the front is a good idea because it will offer good straigh line speed, but is open enough to still let u turn
Old 01-17-2005, 11:36 AM
TinyRC Pro

ok, so now i'm experimenting with thin sheets of silicone, maybe this will give some lsd effect.

Greyscale Racing
Old 06-25-2005, 12:49 AM

another really cheap way to make a locked diff. super glue the gears together. =P they'll never move and you'll have a fully locked diff!! lol i might actually try taht...
Old 11-26-2005, 10:57 PM
TinyRC Pro

inner diameter? 3mm, probably. it's gotta fit around the xmods shafts.

Greyscale Racing
Old 01-25-2006, 05:28 AM
nerobro

when experimenting with the diffs on my mini-x and mini-z I foundthat vaseline was an excelent diff lube. It provides dampening that most other diff lubes don't.

Those "locking diff lubes' that wre mentioned are for gear type differentials. Not ball differentials. for the reccord, this kind of modification should be for ball diffs only. :-)

I will be adding a small o-ring to my ball diff tonight to see if I can get some semblance of adjustablitity out of it. Most ball diffs use a single screw through the middle to hold them togother, and then there's a spring of some sort to provide some progression to the force on the diff.

The ball diff as it comes from ratshack is very very poorly designed, they also tell you to put it in the wrong end of the car.

In a 4wd car without a center differential, you should be running an almost free (as in very loose) differential, or even a one way bearing up front, instead of the very tight ball diff out back, and a gear diff up front.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Fully adjustable plate-type LSD tutorial

too bad yu can't do this on an EVO car 'cause the rear gear diff is pressed together so yu can't even pull it apart without completely ruinin' it.