TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-11-2003, 10:25 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Battlefield Terrain

Here is a photo of our battlefield “in progress”. We have developed our own system, which is a variation of the more traditional wargaming terrain modules. Take a look at our web site for more information and photos of what we are up to.

http://www.brotherhoodofthepurplefez.net/Digi-Q

Old 05-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Wanna Drag??

I'm digging it, especially the buildings. Did you total them yourself or buy them like that?

You've got some nice skills, that's the best diorama so far, Its got loads of room to maneuver, well still keeping stuff to hide behind. Nice job stick around for a while!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Kudos HellOnWheels. Great Diorama.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:27 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Bigger Battlefield & Infantry

Thanks for the positive comments. The buildings are the cheapest HO model railroad models (some of these can be real expensive) I can find. Then I simply cut them in half with a Dremmel tool with each half becoming one ruined house – two for the price of one.

Actually the battlefield is now twice the size shown on our web site. I will be updating the photos there soon so keep looking.

We have also been discussing using 15mm wargame figures in a variation of capture the flag. Each two tank team would have their own force of infantry with the object being to “take out” as many of the other teams men before having your tanks knocked out. The side with the most tanks/men left wins.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:47 PM

Smashing

Great layout idea!
My concept is a little different. I'll get some pictures and post them. Watching your site for updates.
Thanks
Old 05-15-2003, 12:41 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Excellent work!

What kind of foam tiles are they? Ceiling tile? or did you just buy a 4x8 foam board and cut it to size?

After looking at your site I came up with some ideas for my own modular battlefield:

Use simulated campfire sets to simulate still burning buildings:
http://www.accuratelighting.com/HOsc...l_Campfire.htm

Some of these Diorama parts could come in handy
http://www.hobbico.com/modelmaker/hcas9200.html

This turntable could add a twist to a game by putting it in between two sets of 6 tiles, you'd have to manuver onto it to cross the gorge (river, stream, whatever), then manuever off it to get to the other side. This would be great for Capture the Flag.
http://www.hobbico.com/modelmaker/hcas8500.html

Remember the game STRATEGO? You could make say 20 tiles and each person gets to choose ten. Then each person gets to put the tiles in any format he wants (use a blanket or something to hide what the other guy is doing). Slide both sets of ten together and your ready to go. This would come in handy if you make some minefield tiles. Make the tiles with equal holes for magnets, say 20 holes per tile, and give each combatant 10 or so magnets to put where they want (velcro the grass on or something).

Tyson
Old 05-15-2003, 02:38 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Foam Tiles

The foam tiles are cut from regular styrofoam sheets that u you can pick up at any craft store. I but the one inch thick sheets that are approximatly 12 inches wide by 36 inches long. I then just cut each sheet into squares. I had considered using pre-made wargame foam blocks but they are way to expensive.

The foam sheets that I use actually measure a little under the 12x36 inch dimension listed on the label so the final tiles are cut to 11 1/2 x 11 1/2.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:53 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Question

Thanks for the info! Seems like the best/cheapest way.

You said in an earlier post that you now have more tiles done, what would you say is the hardest learned lesson during the project:

Wished for a way to lock the tiles?
Better glue?
Easier to use paint?

Just fishing for some building advice and gotchas, i'm about to start my tiles this weekend.

Tyson
Old 05-19-2003, 12:40 AM
TinyRC Newbie

New pictures posted and tips

We have just posted all new pictures on our web page at:

http://www.brotherhoodofthepurplefez.net/Digi-Q

I used two types of glue during construction of our battlefield squares. Regular carpenters wood glue and 3M spray adhesive. The spray adhesive is used to glue the paper-backed grass to primed foam squares. Spray both surfaces, let the glue get tacky then press together firmly and trim off the excess grass. The wood glue is used for all other gluing - trees, buildings etc. to the squares surfaces, as well as for making groundwork when mixed with sand and/or gravel or in our case decomposed granite. The wood glue dries fats and hard and is water proof so it can be painted.

The paints are all water-based acrylics. They are cheap and easy to use.

So far our tiles do not seem to need a locking mechanism. The friction between the rough foam edges seem to do a job in preventing them sliding around.

I have used just about every conceivable material for build all kinds and sizes of dioramas so the above materials were chosen as the result of a lot of trial and error and because they all work very well.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:34 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
your custom painted tanks are amazing! i wish i could get you to do that for mine, when i get them