TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/64 and Smaller > ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE > ZipZaps Monster Truck

Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Jazz32

Super Cooper, Dual SS motor, 4 Cell

This was my long work in progress, what initially failed using a SS pcb.

I decided that 3 Cells wasn't enough so I converted to a 4 Cell. After making my first battery pack and installing it, I figured out one of them didn't work. I've never had a battery just become a short, but I was essentially back to a 3 cell.

I tore it apart again and replaced the bad cell. I got it put together and she's running strong now.

On the bottom are two tabs that I use alligator clips to charge the battery with. The stock switch still works. The driveline is really smooth.

It's pretty quick, even on carpet. I'll hopefully get videos up soon. Run times aren't the greatest, but I assumed as much.

Also, it looks like the driveshaft is open in the pictures. The actual driveshaft is actually inside the tube (second piece of an antenna) of the pictures. There is also graphite in there to keep her running smooth.

Stats:
Quad Cell
Dual SS Orange Motor (19000rpm)
Gearing Ratio: 8.4:1 (pictured) or 9.78:1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg super cooper.jpg (190.7 KB, 184 views)
Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to zzultimate Send a message via MSN to zzultimate
Nice truck! I like the idea of using two ss motors. How does that affect its preformance? More speed, torque?

Good chassis too.

Xmods:
Drifter-05 mustang- AWD, PVC drift wheels, bearings.
Racer -Dodge Viper- Custom body, Flipped wheels, suspension upgrade, steering upgrade, tire upgrade, stage two.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Jazz32

The dual motor works quite well actually. It's been a really long time since i've driven a stock truck to be able to gauge performance.

I'm currently reconstructing my 4 cell with orange motor/gears and a 10 tooth pinion. It is the same dimension of extended chasis.

This truck is remarkably easy to drive. I'm experimenting with different tires and flipping them backwards to give it a wider stance. I currently don't have an amount of smooth floor long enough to allow it to get up to full speed.

I can also switch the gearing to another lower speed combination for more torque. Right now, it does not spin the tires when the trigger is pulled.

Turning is easy and still relatively sharp. There is no chance for a wheelie with the extended chasis. On a smooth floor, it also never rolls since I tried to get the center of grav as low as possible.

I just wish I had a different body, but the 1/43 SS cooper worked out pretty well. I'll try to get some video of it soon.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Snake Mod
Excellent!!!, Love how compact it is. This has got to be THE best ZZMT Ever Made!!!! Great Job!!!

[color=green]
Old 11-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Jazz32

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake Mod
Excellent!!!, Love how compact it is. This has got to be THE best ZZMT Ever Made!!!! Great Job!!!

Not quite man, I could definitely still do better, and I would if iwaver pcbs were still available. I could put out more power with an Iwaver board with proportional controls... now that would be insane!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:59 PM

Hey, Make do with what ya got. And What ya got there is one hell of a zzmt. I'm sure you'll be able to get some iwaiver boards somewhere. I guess i just love the way you made it!!!

[color=green]
Old 11-16-2006, 04:01 PM

bada baba ba I'm Lovin' it!!!!

[color=green]
Old 11-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Jazz32

My stupid steering spring got bent and it isn't centering well. The truck goes straight in forward but wants to turn everytime I go backwards.

This happened after I had to reattach a gear on the driveshaft. I didn't have it secured well enough on my custom (piece of a metal hanger) driveshaft. It's solid now.

Also, I left it so I can switch to another (higher) gearing ratio. Since I don't have a large enough room to ever see the top speed, I decided to swap.

The new ratio is 9.78:1 and it accelerates way better now.

I might double the steering return spring and see if that fixes my problem. That's why I haven't gotten videos yet.

Overall though, I'm pleased. The car can still be disassembled to clean and fix anything. The PCB is attached. All the wires are secured and shouldn't break. Charging is easy. Lastly, and one of the coolest features, I have a choice between two gearing sets.

Those ZZMT pcb's are suprising. When I tested the motors at 4.0V, they would draw an amp each when stalled. On a full charge of these batteries, they reach 5.6V. Granted the motors are never stalled, they definitely draw more than an orange motor, and I still haven't seen any problems.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Another old modder.

Thanks for posting those great pics!

Great work!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 AM
I process, therefore I am

Great stuff there Jazz! This is the kind of thing that I call modding. It's more than a bit of putty and a paint job. I call that finishing, or modeling, not modding. Love it!
Old 11-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Jazz32

Through the summer I was mainly focused on xmods. I had almost forgotten how much I love the zzmt's.

I have 3 more cooper bodies that I plan to use. This build worked extremely well. The next one might be an articulating cooper. I'm not sure what I want to use yet (the nice problem of having so many parts lying about).

I was considering a boss hog type round motor or again using two SS orange motors. With all the SS transfer gears, I also have a lot more gearing options as well. Those gears are much more durable than trying to line up a zz transfer gear.

I'm not sure how many batteries, I might use that 6 cell pack from my first try with this truck. With the last three weeks of my final semester of college approaching, I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to work on the next one. Especially when I have the holidays and moving to Boise right afterwards.

I appreciate your compliments.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:38 PM

Been a while since I posted here, but great work man, really nice looking truck, very clean too.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Tiny RC Pro

Very good looking, although I think if you were gonna stretch it you could have done an articulation mod as well, but that's just me. I might have missed some of it.

Great job on the truck!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Jazz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer9 View Post
Very good looking, although I think if you were gonna stretch it you could have done an articulation mod as well, but that's just me. I might have missed some of it.

Great job on the truck!
The reason it doesn't have articulation is because the sole purpose of this truck was speed. Adding articulation will create more instability and control issues. The chasis needs to be straight and solid to be able to keep it in a straight line. I believe this truck would easily outrun a stage II motor xmod (been a long time since i've driven one without 6V+), albeit a lot more difficult to control. When I get some time, I probably will do another one with articulation.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up

hey jazz, nice cooper you got there. one question. the duel motors, how are they wired series?parralel? i have similar project going, my duel pod is made and gears are meshed but i'm unsure of the wiring. thanks in advance.

micro