TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS

Old 01-23-2004, 02:44 PM

Is building a motor out of parts a good idea?

What I want is a motor that is torquey and speedy. A good balance of the two. Most of the racing I do is with the guys at work. We make a track on the office carpet and race around. The straight is about 12' long and the rest is short turns, usually about a 3'-4' radius. I put a stage 2 red motor in mine and the guys with the stock motors are faster. The reason I put the stage 2 in was we went to a gym and raced on the basketball court and the top speed of the stock motor was not able to keep up with the stage 2 blue or yellow. So now I want to swap back to the stock motor or even better yet, build a motor that is a good balance for all types of racing.

I have lots of parts to use at my disposal. I have a SB Pro, stock Xmods motor, a PN ball bearing can, a Z-130-A-BB from Mini-Z racer and 4 Stage 2 motors. In doing some reading (alot of reading) it sounds like just adding the SBP magnets to the Stage 2 motor with the 11 tooth pinion would be a good fix. My idea was to put the Stage 2 (11T) armature in the PN ball bearing can with the SBP magnets. I know the pinions are a pain to pull so I might not do the ball bearing end bell and just use the can itself with the Stage 2 armature.

The only other idea I had was to put a Xmods pinion on my Z-130-AA-BB motor and drop that in. Not sure about how it would work with the esc in the Xmods but it was safe with the Mini-Z one.
Any opinions or suggestions?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:39 AM

Well with the overwhelming replies I received . I decided to just give it a try. I was just going to put the magnets from the SBP in a ball bearing can with the Stage 2 arm. What I ended up doing was putting the Mini-Z Racer Z-130-A-BB motor in with the Stage 2 Blue gear and 11 tooth pinion. Havent had a chance to test it fully but in a short drag race it was faster than the Stage 2 yellow in my sons Civic. I'm kinda thinkin that I still will want more torque however and I think I will try a lower gearing. Like the Yellow set. Maybe the red. And add the all wheel drive set as soon as Rat Shack gets em in.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:23 PM

How are the Z-130-A-BB magnets compared to the SB magnets? If the SB magnets are bigger, use them, should help you offset some of the torque-loss from the larger pinion.

Drac sells some large neo magnets and Dinball sells Yeah Racing neo mags. I'm not sure if your willing to buy some mags... just a thought.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM

Not sure, for sure. I didnt actually disassemble either motor. But I did try putting the same plastic pinion on both and turning with my fingers. The Mini-Z motor had a stronger resistance to a turn, so I interpreted this to mean stronger magnets. The SBP motor had slightly less. I compared both to a Stage 2 motor that had very little resistance to turning. I pulled all of the capacitors off of the Stage 2 and used on the Z-130-A-BB. By the way a pinion puller is an absolute must have for messing with RS motors.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I use the GWS Pinion Puller, it costed me a measly $10 and came with different sized shafts to pull pretty much any pinion I'll ever need to pull. Excellent value for price.

More resistance in a turn definately means more torque, however there are many ways to reduce/increase torque(not just with magnets). If the Z-130-A-BB armature has more winds than the S2 armature, you'll have more torque assuming the magnets are the same size as well. Its not all that hard to pull the magnets out and give them a little check, it may be worthwhile to give it a look.