TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 04-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Under $100 is asking too much, IMO, although it would be nice. :nod
What I don't understand is why the body+fitting kit are so expensive. Also every HTUSA should be obligated to carry at least one car to demo with or without a track.
dNano - Corvette (04/10).
Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
Under $100 is asking too much, IMO, although it would be nice. :nod
What I don't understand is why the body+fitting kit are so expensive. Also every HTUSA should be obligated to carry at least one car to demo with or without a track.
I agree with the cost of the bodies and the required fitting parts sets being way to high! For the cost of a body/fitting parts set you might as well just buy another dNaNo...which may be Kyosho's thinking anyway...
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Kyosho is trying to do a little too much without initial market penetration. Are the dNano meant to be a true-scale enthusiast collector's car? (the price of the "fitting parts" and bodies, would almost make it seem so) ...if not, the fitting parts should cost no more than $10. Bearings, diffs and other parts need to be priced slightly under those of the Mini-Z, both to counteract inferior clone parts and to keep the all-in price for 2.4 GHz racing slightly under that of the Z.

Are the dNano meant to be marketed as racing league indoor scale? Probably, maybe, should be ... and ironically the lap timing component (which we all used to whine was so very expensive in the days of AMB race/transponder timing sets) is priced spot on. Or are they meant to be just fun hobby/toy cars? Nope, too expensive for that. Let's not even go there ...these are not Microsizers or even X-mods ...the quality, engineering, and ironically, market niche planning are far in excess of most other attempts.

Small scale enthusiasts will spend the money to race competitively and the internet-linked racing and small space requirements are indeed the hot selling points that no one else can touch. This could be extra income for established R/C clubs that can generate another class without investing in sq. ft. which is their biggest expense. Hint to Kyosho: watch the official tracks expand faster than bailout handouts, if you shift the focus from expensive retail space sq. ft. to a club-based setting.

Regarding the naysayers on cost, these are still much cheaper than anything competitive in 1/10th or other racing classes. And much cheaper than a fully-pimped Atomic Mini-Z that I was shocked to see can run north of $600 ... If we keep in mind the racing league target and don't for one minute confuse these with Radio Shack toys.

The name is catchy, but not really in-tune with the North American market; NASCAR or NASCAR haters aside.

Given the very infrequent and spotty appearance of Kyosho USA on this forum in general, I suspect that they are operating very independently of the otherwise customer-oriented Japanese head office. Japan probably has both eyes on China anyway, as any marketing manager worth his salt is becoming heavily invested in that high-growth market.

So what am I saying? Kyosho is sending mixed signals with what they are really trying to do with this car in North America. If they want a racing league to drive sales then do it right ...start by selling the official Kyosho tracks to approved Mini-Z clubs or established R/C clubs in North America. You'd have 100 tracks out in a few months. The track is also small enough to license a home-version for practice. Did these ideas not enter the marketing launch discussion? The trickle-down exposure from 100+ tracks would do more for anyone selling the cars (HTA) and Kyosho USA in general.

And if there are indeed genuine problems with getting the official tracks made as another poster suggested (somehow I think it's something else to do with politics and money) then K of NA needs to chime in here once and a while to stop the rumor mill, and perhaps, lay out their vision of what they want to do with this in North America.

With one of the major ebay stores lowering some of their prices yesterday, Kyosho NA needs to act quickly and decisively if they don't want to lose out to the grey market.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
good points.

i totally agree with the hobby shop track racing not being the best means to get the racing going. the same can be said with mini-z's. you will find 10x's the number of private clubs than official store tracks. rcp is a house hold name by putting the store track in everyones garage, basement, spare bedroom. as a result, club racing is flourishing.

in my opinion, the minute you depend and rely on brick and mortar stores, you've already put a shelf life on your product. we all know the support your local hs debate, but e commerce opens you up to markets untapped and locations overlooked by traditional retail stores.
follow the success of the mini-z...they have 10 years of history lessons to pull from and they immediately jump into what failed with the mini-z, for those that recall the great planes exclusivity crap. the minute that changed, the entire mini-z scene changed.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Well I just heard something rather interesting.. now this is 3rd person so I can't say how accurate the info is.

I called the local Hobbytown that has been waiting on a dNaNo track for several months to see if there was any update. I was told "Right now we don't know what is going to happen. Kyosho USA has had a management change and they have not decided if Hobbytown will still be an exclusive retailer for the dNaNo. They have not sent any tracks out to Hobbytown stores in months and we cannot get an answer if we will ever get one."

I guess that could be good or bad if true. Good that it could mean that Kyosho will open the product up to all retailers, or bad in that it could mean Kyosho is dropping support of the racing program in the US altogether.

Has anyone else heard anything along these lines? It's been awful quiet..
Old 04-29-2009, 01:39 PM

I think this will explain a lot for you guys. http://racednano.com/
Old 04-29-2009, 03:10 PM

I might be missing what you're referring to, but I don't see anything there regarding the distribution or future track locations. I have two local HT stores that have said they plan to have a track in store, one has been waiting for months and one made the decision about a month ago.

Any ideas on when we'll see more locations?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoshoAmerica View Post
I think this will explain a lot for you guys. http://racednano.com/
yes, the racing site is nice however it offers little, if any factual product information which is what i seek thank you for posting though, we had thought maybe we had been forgotten
Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
I might be missing what you're referring to, but I don't see anything there regarding the distribution or future track locations. I have two local HT stores that have said they plan to have a track in store, one has been waiting for months and one made the decision about a month ago.

BUMP! Because I want to know too...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post

More track locations will pop up very soon.

Which stores are close to you?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
yes, the racing site is nice however it offers little, if any factual product information which is what i seek thank you for posting though, we had thought maybe we had been forgotten
What did you want to know? Maybe i can help you. This might help as well.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/support/in...ano/dnano.html
Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
More track locations will pop up very soon.

Which stores are close to you?
Hobbytowns in Mooresville, NC and the Harris Blvd. location in Charlotte, NC were the ones I was referring to. Both have said they have put in their orders for a track. I've had a dNaNo for some time now, just looking for a place to race!

Thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Quote:
What did you want to know? Maybe i can help you. This might help as well.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/support/in...ano/dnano.html
actually, that provided a link to another page in english that has some of what i'm looking for. thank you very much!

not to get all picky and demanding but tim left some big shoes to fill in terms of helping to keep us up to date. over on mini-zracer for example he kept a sticky post, but listed all 12 months and simply updated them with product listings as they appeared.

this is especially important with dnano as there is currently no place to find product delivery dates domestically.

where can i find individual parts kits information and pictures? the 'new' parts listing on the japanese site has them as they are newly released but the images are rotated off and i can't find them anymore.

feel free to email me if it's easier than posting your response here.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
BIT PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
Though my comment probably was inappropriate, I don't like being threatened for having a differing, valid opinion..

Nobody threatened you for having a different opinion, so don't make it out like that.

You were warned for your use of foul language. Tiny doesn't want it on the board.

You're free to any opinion you may choose.

silla
Old 04-29-2009, 06:46 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by payaso View Post
Nobody threatened you for having a different opinion, so don't make it out like that.

You were warned for your use of foul language. Tiny doesn't want it on the board.

You're free to any opinion you may choose.

silla
valid concern, thank you for the clarification and yes, as payaso says, please refrain from using foul language. were all capable of expressing ourselves without using those words. if not, that is what we have profile messages and email thru the profile for