TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 02-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Chunk

Make your own bodies

Hey fellas, I was going to document my next body and tire molds, but someone has saved me the time. I found this little gem the other day on the companies site I order all my molding products from.

Make your own bodies - and sell me the good ones!
imaginary friend.

Last edited by Stridex; 02-13-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:55 AM
TinyRC Pro

Thats a good one. I saw a similar one but the dude used legos to make the mold boxs out of. I thought that was good also he got one of the $20 kits with a bunch of parts and used that.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Chunk

Do you have that link?
imaginary friend.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:51 PM
'00 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS

That's really cool! Where would be the best kind of place to find that silicone rubber they used to make the mold?

49MHz Microsizer Yellow Lancer Exolution: stock

27MHz LXX Char-G Xanavi Skyline GT-R: 3.0

27MHz ZipZap Yellow F&F Civic: 2.6, Carbon Fiber-look hood, lowered, sport tires, turbo gears
Old 02-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Chunk

Right there on their website. Their product is superior to just about everyones. The resin cures and sets in 7 minutes. Other resins take hours to complete. Sometimes the entire day. It is costly, but the definition from the mold and the speed of the whole process makes them my #1 and only source.

They accept COD's. Just call them up, mention that page with the car mold and tell them that's what you want to do. They'll hook ya up from there. Make sure you don't order stuff that can be replaced by stuff around the home. Like the release agents. Those can easily be replaced with baby powder or vaseline.
imaginary friend.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
EXCELLENT link Stridex!

Thank you!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:03 AM
Chunk

Here's an example of how well it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00047.jpg (83.7 KB, 440 views)
imaginary friend.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:15 AM

Used it in the past....

Try the One piece (on their page)...good for beginners and much more effective guys.
Once you master it bump up to the quality stuff.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:20 AM
sup3r whit3 b0i f00!

Send a message via AIM to spaz13
Great link! Thanks!
Old 02-14-2003, 10:19 AM
Chunk

Quote:
Try the One piece (on their page)...good for beginners and much more effective guys.
Once you master it bump up to the quality stuff.
The one piece is not good for beginners. It's not even good for the advanced. Not when you're making car bodies. You're more likely to have mold lines on the sides of your car rather then the underneath. The method I showed prevents that and bubbles 100%. Telling them to do a one piece is setting them up for failure. Especially if they're new to this. Would you be willing to illustrate your method? You may be thinking of a different one piece molding process that I'm not familiar with. Cause the one you refer to on their site would give them an extra hour of preparation and the result wouldn't be any better.

BTW, what quality stuff are you referring to?
imaginary friend.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:04 PM

While this is your forum Stridex and you can disseminate any information you choose, i speak from experience ( in abundance).

The one piece is perfect for beginners. Now the "sacrifice" in quality that i think your referring to in a round about way is no sacrifice at all. Eliminating air bubbles isnt going to happen unless you vacuform ( which isnt better than either style mentioned above in myopinion in regard to detail- once again i know). You may minimize bubbles with "squish" but not anymore than being careful with one part.

As i said ...for the beginner one piece provides an abundance of material for additional molds (i.e. more CARS) and lessens the amount of money you spend on materials ( which for a beginner is CRITICAL as this stuff isnt cheap REGARDLESS of which materials you choose. Alumilite is one of the cheapest out there so that gives you an idea of what the prices are like. I mean cheap in PRICE not quality). I think the bottomline is try WHICHEVER works for you as its fun and you can make the body you want.

In regard to your last question Stridex....because of the "nature" ofthings you can contact me personally if you wish.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:19 PM
TinyRC Pro

http://www.childofmecha.com/Modeling...asicResin.html

http://www.childofmecha.com/Modeling.../Clay/Clay.htm

Its shown for gundam models but all the ideas will work for this.

Last edited by DeuceMan_408; 02-15-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:04 PM

Quality stuff you got there Deuce....Micro for the Micro lover.

Had i not already converted by ZZ box into a container i would DEFINENTLY have done the LEGO thing lol. Perfect box!
Old 02-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Chunk

Suntzus, It's now obvious why you're here. To see how many resin bodies you can sell. That's fine. Not everyone is going to want to make their own. But, you are afraid some will start building their own bodies....I understand. Apparently from your posts, you're the only one that can have an expert opinion on the subject. Sorry if my little post cut into your profits or took away some of your tinyrc fame. If you're so interested in helping others learn how to mold, document your process. You like taking pictures of the cars for sale, but why not the process? You say you're only selling these to cover costs, right? If you can document a better way to mold these, then I'd love to see it. And if you've found a product better then alumilite, let's here it. Why you can't post the name here on the board just proves once more your motives here are money. Please refrain from flaming posts that are only trying to help out. Even if it means one less customer.
imaginary friend.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:43 PM

Your right, Stridex, not everyone is going to want to make their own but if they do decide to take an interest in the hobby ( like the hobby we are all fans of..these little cars) there are MANY fine post in regard to the subject matter not only here but all over the net. In fact some of the individuals that have e-mailed me personally have been pointed to these sites and post. Deuceman has posted a fine example of that. Do you realize this out pouring of emotion is all based upon the fact that i said TRY the one piece based upon my experience? What would you have said if a few months back i said TRY the Zip Zap...its better than the Bit lol?

Why would i be afraid of somone building there own bodies? Theres an abundance of clones out there of differnt sizes. I can gurantee you that no matter how many bodies i make there will still be a chassis out there that they wont fit thus ensuring the true dedicated fan will make there own bodies ( like the guys who create paper body kits).

"Apparently from your posts, you're the only one that can have an expert opinion on the subject." - Thats your opinion. My opinion is the LAkers will eventually come out of their funk and win a championship this year. To each his own. And honestly Stridex...if your style works for you..who cares what i say. Just like i wasnt overly concerned with your reply ...MY style works FOR ME and has proven much more effective for ME. Keep working at it guy and detail YOUR style for your board. Everyone will benefit right?

"Sorry if my little post cut into your profits or took away some of your tinyrc fame." - LOL i have NO profits lol and im not famous here, Just a member of a board that seems to hold its own.

"If you're so interested in helping others learn how to mold, document your process." - I nevere mentioned that i was interested in helping others learn to mold ( although i have when asked by a few individuals). But if anyone needs help Stridex they will ask ( either by posting ..in which case YOU can reply ..or by e-mailing someone they believe can help). Dont sell your members short. They are bright ( and i can almost gurantee that the reason no one has asked is because they CAN READ).

"You like taking pictures of the cars for sale, but why not the process?" - See above answer ( re: many post on the subject all over the net)

"You say you're only selling these to cover costs, right?" - I dont recall saying this. In fact i dont remember referring to cost in regard to profit or loss at all ( in regard to materials only). Why did you say that?

"If you can document a better way to mold these, then I'd love to see it " - See above answer ( re: e-mail me if you need help).

" And if you've found a product better then alumilite, let's here it. Why you can't post the name here on the board just proves once more your motives here are money." - Considering that i have been a member here for quite a bit of time...i think it absurd to say that my only motive here is money. Any member here can see how long i have been around. I post HERE because i like Zip Zaps and a lot of guys do. In fact Zip Zpas inspired me to mod and build bodies like many of the other guys here.

" Please refrain from flaming posts that are only trying to help out. Even if it means one less customer." - Anyoone that reads this short thread will see that NO ONE ( not you..not me..not ANYONE) has started a "flame" war. YET. I dont intend to and im sure if your a mature mod ( which i think you are) you DONT want to either. So ..do what works for you and lets keep this peaceful and on topic. If you need any assistance e-mail me.

Last edited by Suntzu28; 02-15-2003 at 06:49 PM.