TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 07-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Holy Crap!

Send a message via AIM to ugh
Clear Coat Trouble

I was clear coating my bodies today, and all of them turned out great, except for my Bit Lancer Rally Car. It turned out pretty grainy, not really shiny like all of the others. Did I add too much clear coat? Why did the car turn out grainy?
I am very stupid when it comes to anything concerning tiny radio control cars, but at school it is a different story (I know none of you care what my life is like at school). Please do not criticize me for being idiotic and asking stupid questions that I should know. I have no skills when it comes to modding and driving Microsizers and other micro radio control cars. Please help me to raise my self-esteem. I don't handle criticizm well and when I do, I usually go cry into a pillow and scream and break things. In short, be nice to me (it may be hard though through all of my annoyance). Thanks pal!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:00 PM
XMOD AUDI TT (my wish)

thats happened to me too!
Help us!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:37 PM
CaboWabo

sounds like it didn't get enough spray or an even spray.

you can fix it, just apply another very thin/light clear coat, depending on the grainy feel and look, you might need to do it several times.

it's better to do several very light coats than 1 thick coat or you could cause the paint to ripple.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Holy Crap!

Here is the Lancer compared to my Gloria, a good representation of a clear coat. Do you see how the Gloria is very reflective, and the Lancer is grainy? CabWabo, I've already tried adding more coats, but nothing happens. But take a look for yourself. Is this paint job saveable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (199.9 KB, 81 views)
I am very stupid when it comes to anything concerning tiny radio control cars, but at school it is a different story (I know none of you care what my life is like at school). Please do not criticize me for being idiotic and asking stupid questions that I should know. I have no skills when it comes to modding and driving Microsizers and other micro radio control cars. Please help me to raise my self-esteem. I don't handle criticizm well and when I do, I usually go cry into a pillow and scream and break things. In short, be nice to me (it may be hard though through all of my annoyance). Thanks pal!
Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 AM
SkyLiNEz 4-eva!

the thing is, i wouldnt compare the lancer to the skyline body because with the skyline it has metallic paint, so of course it will look duller. compare it to a normally-painted car and c what u think.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Gecko! not Geico...

Make sure paint is dry then use an Ultrafine (600- 800grit) sanding sponge (any auto paint store /some parts stores or ?)
Next either use a bucket of water or a sink and lightly wetsand your old topcoat until you have a dull smooth look.Won't take much and let the sponge work not you. I suggest a sink for the size , just sand it under the running water. Wet sanding even between coats should be done if you want that nice even wet look.
Finally (assuming the clear is compatible) apply2-3 coats making sure the last ones"look" wet not grainy before letting it dry. Don't force drying times either w/ heat etc. Bake jobs on carsare only used w/ paints that depend on the heat to cure. Other paints have specificevaporation times for the bases and each is designed to give best finish for it's application if used right.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:01 AM
TinyRC Pro

SSure hope my celicia doesnt come out that way
Old 07-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Holy Crap!

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyLiNEz 4-eva!
the thing is, i wouldnt compare the lancer to the skyline body because with the skyline it has metallic paint, so of course it will look duller. compare it to a normally-painted car and c what u think.
Huh? I compared the Lancer to a Gloria body and the Lancer is the one that looks bad. Whose thread are you reading?

Quote:
Originally posted by starion_999
Make sure paint is dry then use an Ultrafine (600- 800grit) sanding sponge (any auto paint store /some parts stores or ?)
Next either use a bucket of water or a sink and lightly wetsand your old topcoat until you have a dull smooth look.Won't take much and let the sponge work not you. I suggest a sink for the size , just sand it under the running water. Wet sanding even between coats should be done if you want that nice even wet look.
Finally (assuming the clear is compatible) apply2-3 coats making sure the last ones"look" wet not grainy before letting it dry. Don't force drying times either w/ heat etc. Bake jobs on carsare only used w/ paints that depend on the heat to cure. Other paints have specificevaporation times for the bases and each is designed to give best finish for it's application if used right.
See, I would do that, but that Lancer has stickers on it that I think would come off wet sanding. Or maybe the clear coat will protect them form getting wet.........I really don't want to take the chance.

Quote:
Originally posted by proboarder_33
SSure hope my celicia doesnt come out that way
If you do it right, it will turn out great. My red Celica is shinier than ever with a clear coat on it!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:45 AM
phear meh..............

id recommend wet sanding then clearcoat again. my lxx came out crappy when i added clear to them, but i lightly sanded and after a few more coats, they were ok
Old 07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
XMOD AUDI TT (my wish)

maybe u didnt shake the can of paint well??????
Old 07-18-2003, 11:59 AM
phear meh..............

naw, lxx uses crappy paint that chips off, i guess its another reason for them being cheaper than bcg's
Old 07-19-2003, 02:16 AM
SkyLiNEz 4-eva!

Huh? I compared the Lancer to a Gloria body and the Lancer is the one that looks bad. Whose thread are you reading?-Ugh!

i wasnt looking closely, it is a gloria body. but i meant that if you compared the lancer to a metallic gloria body, then the lancer would look duller. i didnt make myself clear, my bad.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:30 PM
CaboWabo

yea, I think it's save-able...
I think I'd try more even coats of clearcoat before I wet sanded - just my thoughts on it
Old 07-25-2003, 11:27 PM
I process, therefore I am

Yup, clear coat it a couple more times then wet sand it and coat it again. The original problem may have been finger oils on the car before you clear coated. Make sure they are super clean before clear coating. Could be the type of paint is different too. A nice thick coat of clear so you can wet sand will protect the decals and you can put a nice slick coat over that. Just sand with super fine sand paper and use a very light hand. Keep it good and wet while you sand and clean it thoroughly before you put that last coat on there.