TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS

Old 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM

Xmods Evolution Series: Hummer H2 Review

I just got my Hummer H2 on Sunday afternoon, took me till six P.M. to finish putting upgrades on, but here's my review.

THE BODY

I bought the Hummer H2 kit because I have always been a fan of Hummer. I liked the Humvee and H1, the H2, and now the H3. I also got the Hummer because the Orange F-150 is ugly in my opinion, and I'm waiting for the blue body top. Anyway, The Hummer H2 is a good all around kit. The body has many many many holes in the bottom to allow various attachments, like lightbars, roof racks, hoods, tail-lights, head-lights, and more. I lovethe way they put the new rear body clip. Instead of having a peg that goes through the middle of the chassis and locks like the gen 1, it has two fingers that go around the gear case in front of the rear wheels. It allows for alot of movement from the rear pivoting axle. In the future, I hope there are more attachments for the many ports on the H2. Trailer hitch would be good for a new bumper for example.

Body-***** out of 5.

THE CHASSIS

The chassis is a big step up from the old gen 1 car chassis. Although the two don't really compare. The suspension has a good amount of travel and the rear axle pivots, giving a good amount of offroad capability. The "box" that holds the board is great. It's about 3/4 of an inch high, 2 1/4 inches long, and 2 1/4 inches wide. Forming a nice little square electronics pack. The reciever and main board have been combined to reduce space greatly. The crystal now mounts horizontally on the top. Instead of one port for Command Logic lights, there are now two. No more plugging in an adaptor if you want lights and neons. I don't know why you'd want neons on the Hummer though, unless you used the lowering kit. The motor now sits on the very back sideways at an angle. There is now a red wire and black wire coming from the motor. On the end of each wire is a small metal contact "plate". To connect them to the chassis, just put the wires up through the holder arms and screw them onto the chassis in their correct spots. The instructions mention that the battery holder can be shifted around to allow for a better center of gravity. I haven't tried it yet, but I expect it to be true. The only wires visible on the outside of the chassis are the ones connecting the motor to the chassis. So now you don't have to worry about breaking your antenna wire or anything. Upgrading is easier due to fewer outside wires, however the amount of mechanics and vague instructions make it much more difficult. There isn't a whole lot of ground clearance so don't expect to do any off-roading yet. Oh, and the motor hauls butt more than any stock car of gen 1.

Chassis-****1/2 out of 5.

OFF ROAD UPGRADE

If you're going to buy a truck, you won't be offroading without upgrades. I recommend this as one of the first. The kit comes with one front and one rear upper arm, two front and two rear lower arms, four small driveshafts for the wheels, and four BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain tires. The installation is pretty basic. Take the old arms off and replace them with the new ones, put the new driveshafts in to connect each wheel to the differentials, put the tires on, and your done. After using this kit, I noticed that it really lifts the chassis up. 1/2 inch more about. The main problem is that the lower arms still are only about 1/4 inch or less from the ground. I also noticed HORRIBLE bump steer, but this doesn't really detract from the performance much. The tires certainly are bigger, but they aren't big enough. So, the kit makes the truck chassis much better than before, and certainly makes the trucks look better and more offroad ready. But due to the slightly larger tires, and the thin suspension arms on the bottom, it won't be easy to offroad. Higher bodyclips, and sturdier, thinner arms would difinately make this kit much better.

Off Road Upgrade-***out of 5.

TRUCK ALL WHEEL DRIVE KIT.

This kit comes with what you'd expect. Two center drive gears, one front differential, two large bushings, four small bushings, three driveshafts, four screws, one second gear, and one second gear shaft. At least that's what the package says. Basically it's some drive shafts, gears, and bushings. Let me tell ya, this kit was a real (insert mean word here) to put on. But that could just be me. Once it's all together though, it does it's job. There's not a whole lot to say here. So I'll just get to the rating.

Truck All Wheel Drive Kit-****out of 5.

So, those are my reviews, I was in a hurry, so I probably left a few things out. If you have any questions on these kits, or found an error or something I should mention, just let me know here, and I'll get back to you. Hope you liked my reviews! See ya next time!

*edit* I'll put up a gallery probably tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by truckian; 10-18-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:11 PM
I really should change my title...

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I am very pleased with my h2 and I am mostly in agreement with your review. The 4wd and offroad upgrade are great! By the way, the blue f-150 body top is very nice. I got it last week.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:32 PM
XMod Guru and Ninja

The STOCK (emphasis on stock) F-150 doesn't look very good, the things I did to mine make it much better. I added the body kits, raised it, then painted the car metallic copper and the rims flat black with silver outlines. I was going to paint soem chassis components, but I decided not to.

Xmods: Green Skyline/Black,Gold 350z/Red RSX/Navy/Silver Supra/Messed up Camaro/Silver Mustang Cobra/Copper F-150/Red,Yeellow, Copper Evo VIII
Mini-Z: White Toyota Harrier Overland
Losi Mini-LST
Old 11-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Thrasher

A black sharpie pen is an RC'ers friend. You may need to remove the parts to get into the nooks and such, and you are sure to rub some off running it. It is just a quick touch up. It is way better than painting the parts, as paint builds up and can jam up between the moving sections. Most likely the first areas the paint will chip off.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Zoom Zoom

Thumbs up Decent Purchase

I've just picked one of these up and am, on the whole, fairly impressed. I have always been a Ford fan and never been a Hummer fan, but was not at all impressed with the F-150's appearance. After completing the assembly, I have to say that I am quite impressed with the body's detail as compared with that of my original series Skyline. I would even say that it competes with Mini-Z bodies I own, and agree with truckian's 5-star rating.

I was actually impressed with the ground clearance as my experience with this scale of vehicle has been limited to the Mini-Z Street Racer series and original XMODS series. I am, however, anxious to try out the off-road kit.

As I never got my hands on a Mini-Z Overland, I'd be interested in a comparison. I find this Evolution chassis to be a vast improvement over the original XMODS chassis.

While I do like the added traction of the AWD kit, I'd like to see some radically steeper gearing for crawling. I fear that this may also be beneficial for use with the off-road kit if the tires are drastically larger in diameter. As it is, the best I'd be able to do is add an 8-tooth pinion, which, by itself, would be great, but I only know of it being available in the Stage 2 motor kit.

While I know that this is also a tall order, a way to lock/unlock the diffs (even with minor disassembly), would be nice for crawling.

I noticed that AWD kit instructions mention that the short driveshaft is for an upcoming new truck. Do I smell Jeep Wrangler? Toyota FJ Cruiser?

On the whole, I'd give this little big vehicle 4 stars.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:02 PM
TinyRC Newbie

is there a difference between the truck and the car evo chassis? or can they be converted back and forth? sorry if there was another thread that covered this. but i didn't see it.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:04 AM

The car and truck chassis are very different.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:57 PM
TinyRC Pro

For the most part I would also give the H2 4 stars. The biggest downfall to the off-road kit is the poor design on insane bump steer!
With all the new parts that come with the kit, why not widen the track of the truck some, too. the dog bones could be made a little longer, extend the suspension arms,etc. It wouldn't turn over so much.
The two wheel action on carpet is quite fun though!