TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to MrNanoTrax
sorry guys, but my estimates are on buying good equipment & cars for racing... quality stuff doesn't come cheap & going cheap normally means losing cuz of broken parts, faulty systems that are considered "bargains".... ex: m11 radio 270US, losi 8ight race roller 650US, ninja jx21 engine 300US, additional tires, chargers, gas, etc about 300US, ambrc transponder 100US = 1620US before tax & shipping.... even with all the available hop-ups for dnano, you're still at less than a grand & none are required for being competitive... there is no comparison, we should leave it at that
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTrax View Post
sorry guys, but my estimates are on buying good equipment & cars for racing... quality stuff doesn't come cheap & going cheap normally means losing cuz of broken parts, faulty systems that are considered "bargains".... ex: m11 radio 270US, losi 8ight race roller 650US, ninja jx21 engine 300US, additional tires, chargers, gas, etc about 300US, ambrc transponder 100US = 1620US before tax & shipping.... even with all the available hop-ups for dnano, you're still at less than a grand & none are required for being competitive... there is no comparison, we should leave it at that
I agree 100%. No matter how you look at it, getting into dnanos is cheaper.

BTW, any updates about your shop?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM

yep... just posted one last nite.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoTrax View Post
yep... just posted one last nite.
Must've missed it. Checking now...
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM
BIT PIMP

You two are too funny. And your pricing is way off the mark. Racing is racing is racing. I know people at the tracks that have the same points of view, but that don't make it so.

I don't understand why you keep saying I don't understand the value of the Kyosho dNaNo? I totally understand how nice and advanced the set up it has is. That has no bearing though. Just cause I see it, doens't make it the way of the United States. And making comparisons from a collector to a racer is 2 totally different things.

Just cause you can spend $2000 on a buggy/truggy doesn't mean that's what it takes to get started. I know people with that much tied up in mini Zs.

Nitro might be $90 over where you are, but here in the good ol USA, it's a whopping $22 per gallon on average. I pay $27 for Byrons Gen 2 25%race and PT rental is FREE with your $10 dollar entry fee.

You DON'T need a starter box. A roto start will do, or a pullstart will do.

Did either of you 2 bother to look atthe link I provided, or were you too anxious to reply with nonsense?

We laugh at new comers that drop that kind of money to get started. It's simply not worth it. Yeah, Traxxas isn't known for their "race" kits, but the Revo dominates the MT class...

I know how much a 8ight T roller is and I'm telling you, it's the fan boys that follow the leader in what they buy.

I'm from the SHOW ME STATE, guys, so don't tell me, show me. Show me where I can buy a dNaNo in the States for under $300 RTR. Post a link, or stop saying it's so.

You couldn't be more wrong about MSRP, guy. The MSRP on the Revo was close to a grand and it sells for almost half that.

I know you guys want to argue about it, but you've picked the wrong site to do it on.

You guys are way off the mark and it shows. Not only that, but it's people like you that keep new people from joining the hobby, cause you make it sound sooo expensive. It can be, but it doesn't have to be and that drives new comers away. A $500 O.S. Speed doesn't win races, practice does. PERIOD

Funny stuff guys.

silla
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Alright folks, I'm seeing smoke. Before it turns into Flames...

Opinions, debates, objections, etc...All are fine and even welcome in the case of helping the hobby. What's NOT welcome is taking it to a personal level. no more personal attacks, please.

NanoTrax,
Personally, you're in Thailand which automatically puts you in my "good people" list (since I'm 1/2 Thai!) I also like your site, very nicely done and your being a shutterbug certainly doesn't hurt!

But as a Mod/Admin on this site, I have to ask you to please stop announcing/advertising anything about your site while you're here at ours (Since TinyRC.com is also a shop). ...If you'd like to arrange something about advertising on this site, please feel free to contact the site owner directly.

Now, the topic of this thread is interest (or the lack thereof) in the DNaNo. Let's keep it that way and not bring other scales into it.

My take on it...
I believe Kyosho was/is gearing the DNaNo to being a strictly Japan/Asian product. Japanese culture is very much high tech based (man, they've got toilets that look like plane panels!). They love super sophisticated, in super small size. The DNaNo with all its' high tech capabilities and size fits very nicely in that culture.

Over here in the States, we're a culture that's not all that hyped about technology. We want BIG, FAST, LOUD and INTIMIDATING...And we want it CHEAP...But there's a few of us out there that also love micro technology and fewer yet of us that are willing to pay a little extra for it.

...To a point!

NanoTrax, you mentioned a total cost of ~$250 for DNaNo...WHERE?! Cheapest I've found is on eBay. RTR is $290(US), then there's still the $40 shipping cost and you still have to get the AA/AAA batteries. Even on your site you sell a combo RTR for 11,800 Baht ($335) and I'd imagine that's before shipping costs as well.

For me, I'd be willing to pay up to $280 for a DNaNo (RTR, including the cost of shipping). But considering Kyosho's mentality of keeping the DNaNo out of the US, thereby making us have to pay considerably higher for inflated prices and import costs, I'll curb my inner child and hold-off until I can get it for my price range. If that time never comes, oh well, it's Kyosho's loss.

So, for me at least, it's not a matter of losing interest (I'd still LOVE to get a DNaNo), it's a matter of my perception of what the worth of a DNaNo is and right now the pricepoint doesn't match that perception.

Last edited by Namuna; 02-13-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 AM

hey Namuna... i don't mean to offend with promotions and i've already contacted tinyrc about ads. as our ability to sell online grows, we'll make the investment here shortly. i'd be proud to sponsor this site!

note: the price on our site is what we are required to post at the moment, if one buys the combo in the store, it'll be a bit cheaper. i do think your analysis about dnano value is accurate and you're correct... you can't conveniently buy the dnano anywhere and its even more difficult in the states. again, sorry for any offenses, i'll continue to past minus any promotion

ps - Namuna, send me an email and we'll discuss adding a dnano to your collection
Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
I process, therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna
Over here in the States, we're a culture that's not all that hyped about technology. We want BIG, FAST, LOUD and INTIMIDATING...And we want it CHEAP...
True, yet one of the sadder realities of US culture imo. Hopefully, we will develope more of a love for technology. Our youth seem to be doing so anyways.
I think it long past time to throw off the false machismo of fast, loud, and intimidating. Truth is, the roar of the IC engine belys the fact that it has no real power and a gearbox must be introduced to allow any kind of torque over time without shaking it into pieces.
I look forward to time that the US embraces the high pitched whine of technology as cool and not the belching scream of the IC engine.
Funny how it has come, in some ways, to define men in the US and therefore, what they value.
Sorry, the substance of the thread, capped by Namuna's comment, caused a bit of thought in me about future directions and how so much needs to change.

I will have to look into these cool little cars. I hadn't really paid any attentiion to them 'til now.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
has anyone heard anything at all from any of the sole domestic distributor stores? we've seen release dates come and go....

fyi, i think the sole distribution thing alone will do more harm than good. as much as i support local hobby shops, e-commerce is the growing future when retail outlets are struggling do to overhead and cost of operations.

for example, hasbro has cut back on thier retail lines for gi joe products and pushing them more into online exclusives. they don't have to subject themselves to being pushed around by the likes of walmart, retail outlets in a shrinking economy are reluctant to place large orders for fear of having product waste away on shelves, etc. etc. etc. this is a growing trend as industries are adjusting to a tuff market condition all the while kyosho is sticking with the same style that frustrated so many in the very begining of mini-z's. those who fail to adapt, are doomed to fail. i've been preaching advertising and distribution via online for years now, that and advertising outside the small box that is the rc community. others like rcp are doing so successfully.

Last edited by arch2b; 02-16-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I process, therefore I am

I agree. So much is changing in the retail market and companies need to adapt.

These little cars are very cool. They are expensive, but having spent a several hundred dollars in the last few months on $100.00 4 channel helicopters, I understand that one has to pony up the cash to get a certain level of quality and functionality.

I'm not sure I would buy one of the Dnanos because I'm more of an HO scale guy. I have a couple Epochs, but I never play with them anymore as I don't have room. Actually, I can count on one hand the number of times I used the three I have. If they had squeezed this tech into a 1/64 size chassis, I would be all over it. I don't see that happening as the 1/64 micro craze is pretty much dead now and it never really got to hobby class anyways.

Hopefully, I'll live long enough to see HO rc cars revitalized and manufactured more like these Dnanos. I may get one anyways. I love micro stuff and these seem to be qood quality micro RC.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM

i'm hoping kyosho gives me some room online with dNano as well but based on what i've seen at their japanese shops, the plan really doesn't fit much of anywhere EXCEPT japan. i never thought i'd be into micros but once i got one of these... man, i'm hooked. i haven't even had the chance to hook it up to the PC due to the lack of an ICS cable. once i open the store, i think i'll have a better supply of parts & a greater selection of auto scale bodies *crosses fingers*
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM

I had raced mini-z for a few years, then sold off my stuff to cover other hobbies, still have my track! now that my son is getting old enough to race and shown some interest, I was looking to get started again. I would love to get in to these as we don't have that much space, the dNaNo is just what I'm looking for, but as others have said, trying to find them at a good price, is imposable considering I would have to buy two of everything. I hope they get everything straighten out so we can get them here in the states!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:20 AM

This is interesting. Looks promising for people in the US interested in the dNano.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:47 PM

found a car at a pretty good price under $200 shipped to the usa, now I just got to find a start pack!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
if your in the u.s., think twice before purchasing anything from outside the official u.s. sole distrubutor chain. kyosho has been very clear about anything done outside this channel would not carry a valid warranty within the u.s.