TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-27-2004, 09:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to clrkp
GPM parts weight?

This is my first time looking on the forums in awhile, and i saw the GPM aluminum parts. With all of the GPM alum. parts for the xmod, how much heavier would it be? IF any one has any weight specs that would be helpful. Thanks- Andy
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Obsessive Modder

With stage 2 neo drag motor in it, but tires off, mine weighs
124.5 grams to the stock's 100 or so.

I have the following in mine:
Texalium chassis
GPM parts: Front/rear suspension arms, front/rear shocks, front/rear cup joints, rear dog-bone, front/rear gearboxes, front/rear deck plates, front/rear knuckes, tie rod, motor heat sink, battery heat sink, and lock plate (I have all known GPM parts, so if I'm missing something, I musta forgot)
Atomic mods parts: 8 wide track bearings (plus the 6 RS), wheel shims, neo magnets, carbon fiber drive shaft

So bottom line is that GPM *will* add significant weight to the stock plastic, but it is rock solid and has much more room for improvement...should be able to take whatever punishment I throw at it while still being nice n shiny.

It clocks in at about 13 mph tops right now, although it would beat a stock ride (at least, it looks that way, although I saw some claim that stock 2s run at 20 mph, which I don't buy), and has some good drift, even with all that weight, as the torque is damn good. I'm starting on a custom board mod + hand-built motor to try to fulfill some of this thing's potential to go along with its looks.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
title? i dont have one!

Send a message via AIM to dietryin
not true, gpm is alloy and alloy is one of the lightest known materials in the world!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Obsessive Modder

"Alloy" is a generic term; it can be any mix of metals. Anodized aluminum alloy is extremely strong and light, sure, but it is not lighter than stock plastic (BTW: There are several grades of aluminum alloy. Also, there are other aluminum alloys. Boralyn, for example, is aluminum and boron but is lighter than regular aluminum) Claim it's not true if you want, but I've weighed my GPM aluminum and a stock one right out of the box, and I can assure you that I am not making my results up.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Obsessive Modder

Actually, I'll be more specific to alleviate any confusion: "plastic" here refers to the plastic in the XMods. Also, I don't mean to make a blanket statement that aluminum is heavier than plastic; there are hundreds of kind of plastic and a lot of aluminum alloys out there. A cursory check, though, shows plastic with an average density of about 1.0 g/cc, whereas various flavors of aluminum alloy range from 2.0 up to 3.5.
There may be some GPM part that is lighter than its plastic counterpart, but I'm not stripping it down to measure each item. However, the rear deck plate, for example, is noticeably heavier. The plastic one weighs 1.3 g, while the GPM one (made of thicker material) comes in at 2.7 g. Also, the GPM screws are larger than the stock XMods screws
Old 12-27-2004, 07:37 PM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via AIM to 2fast4u
wait

what type of aluminum parts are u talking about i didnt even know they made aluminum parts for xmods i know that the TRC cf chassis will be lighter than the stock plastic ones also a lot stronger
Old 12-27-2004, 10:25 PM
title? i dont have one!

the GPM line is 65% aluminum and a mix of others i belive, i read that somewhere.. but all of the parts ive had from them are hella lighter.. hmm, idk tho bro..
Old 12-27-2004, 11:10 PM

ummm

horshu, ANODIZE(d) is when aluminum or any other metalic material is subjected to an electric charge in order to coat with a protective or decorative film. i dont think it makes the aluminum stronger.(its how the aluminum parts get their color)

Last edited by 2fast4u; 12-28-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:43 AM
title? i dont have one!

i dont belive anodizing stregthens the metal in anyway...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Obsessive Modder

Yes, anodizing *does* increase the strength of aluminum. To go scientific for a moment: aluminum's surface strength is due to the surface oxidation of the metal (aluminum oxide is extremely strong). Anodizing uses electricity to augment the normal oxidation, making the top layer of aluminum oxide even thicker, thus protecting the aluminum that much better.
2fast: you yourself said "in order to coat with a protective or decorative film," yet you immediately follow with saying you don't think it makes the aluminum stronger. Anodizing the surface of aluminum does strengthen the surface in a noticeably way. Do you not consider this to be stronger? I mean, you put a thick layer of what is very similar in chemical composition to a ruby on top of the metal, and all your getting is a nice look?
Old 12-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Obsessive Modder

Doing some research on anodized aluminum, it looks like while anodizing strengthens the surface of the aluminum, that can make the aluminum susceptible to cracking, depending on the strength, as the hardened anodized surface can be brittle (reminds me a bit of tungsten, which is supposed to be the strongest metal but it has little tensile strength and will crack when bent, unlike titanium, which has more give). *However*, certain kinds of anodizing (sulphuric acid anodizing) can weaken the fatigue strength of the metal down the line, as the acid can weaken the non-anodized metal. But given how little stress these parts take and how thin they are (leading to thicker anodized layer relative to the rest of the part), I don't think fatigue strength would be an issue.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:24 PM

hmm

good point i also read about the strength of a material becoming an issue and you are right about it not being a concern because the parts in an xmod are not subjected to enough abuse to test the fatigue strength of the metal. anodizing though technically does not strengthen it then... even if it protects the surface the metal becomes brittle. which brings me to my next point i thought that anodizing doesnt make the METAL stronger, not just the outside. besides that film is only to protect from scratches and such i dont think it would make it stronger afterall the layer isnt that thick

[edit]

well this isnt my best point of knowledge but i think that the parts that are made are not anodized by acid so i think the appropriate action to further this debate would be to find out what the process of anodizing aluminum parts is for xmods.
you clearly show much more knowledge in this subject than i but you said that there are different ways of anodizing a metal such as i said like the electric charge which i thinkdoesnt make the metal stronger. so you may be right

Last edited by 2fast4u; 12-28-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Obsessive Modder

I think we got caught up in semantecs. I'm speaking of surface strength (a facet of its hardness), whereas I think others are speaking of structural strength. I do believe that a hard, diamond-like (aluminum oxide is what is in rubies and sapphires) coating over a metal will increase its rigidity, although the loss of malleability leads to a loss of flexibility/"give" such that while harder to bend than plain aluminum alloy, once it starts bending, it cracks (kinda like tungsten vs. titanium, although tungsten will flat-out break rather than just crack)

Last edited by Horshu; 12-28-2004 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:38 PM

wow

then thats confusing.... while the outside is harder its structural strength is weaker yea after u sorta cleared that up i really dont know where i stand
Old 12-29-2004, 12:36 AM
I have a beach ball...

Send a message via AIM to Murcielago659
Re: wow

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fast4u
then thats confusing.... while the outside is harder its structural strength is weaker yea after u sorta cleared that up i really dont know where i stand
What he's saying here, is that the metal IS stronger. It can take a lot more abuse before any damage occurs. But once the metal starts bending, which would be harder to do than before the anodizing, it would be more likely to break than to bend.

Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 *DEAD*
Becoming a donor car for:

'04 Ford Mustang Cobra
Soon to be fetted, li-ioned, and all kinds of other goodies.