TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS

Old 08-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Another old modder.

X-Mods are being discontinued.

I was at a Radio Shack meeting today, and the word is that X-Mods are DONE.

Look for all X_Mods stuff to go clearance or just plain dissapear soon.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Huh?

I'm confused, do they mean the current line of Evo Trucks and Cars are discontinued?

The confusing part is because we already know that the new Xmods Titan truck and Scion car are coming.

...Or are they?

Can you give any more details?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:04 PM
TheMechanic

Not this again!
Namuna, how do you find the time to jump from here to pimp land and back?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to zzultimate Send a message via MSN to zzultimate
What are you talking about???? We allready know that there are new Xmods evos comming out late this year. They are the Nissan Titan Scion tC.

Xmods:
Drifter-05 mustang- AWD, PVC drift wheels, bearings.
Racer -Dodge Viper- Custom body, Flipped wheels, suspension upgrade, steering upgrade, tire upgrade, stage two.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Another old modder.

I am a RS employee, and was told at the company meeting that they are being replaced by a new series called "Propulse" that are different.
Larger scale and more "robust".

That doesn't mean X-Mods are being pulled immediately.

It is very likely that if a new set of X-Mods vehilcles DOES come out, it's because they were already being developed prior to this decision, and that they will be a pre-Christmas release to blow the supplies out.

In my store there was already a ton of old X-Mod stuff that was "yellow tagged" and more recently just plain pulled off the pegs and sent back.

Zip Zaps stuff is also a good example.

My store has sent back or sold off all zip zaps stuff except the movie-themed ones, and the pick up truck body set.

No more ZZMTs, no more parts kits.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Hulk smash!

Propulse huh? Hmmmm.

Any further details you can recall...Namingly exactly how much "larger" a scale?

If it's still in the 1/20's scale, then that's great. And I hope by more "robust" that means better electronics (not just more accessories).

...But if it goes larger than that, then you can't really call it an Xmods replacement.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Another old modder.

Robust meaning having the ability to survive the environment it was intended for.

No word on the scale.

The actual wording was X-Mods are going away in favor of the new series of vehicles.
Car and a truck. Parts kits. That's all I have fellas.

Look, if we were all lied to at a Radio Shack company meeting it will be apparent soon enough, but I don't see any reason to announce it to store associates if there wasn't some basis in fact.

If it was a lie I will be just as outraged, believe me.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Jazz32

I guess the news is both good and bad. I love the blow out sales, but I really hate to see the supply just cut off. Too many times I hear about RS stores destroying returns and it makes me want to cry. I wonder just how many have been wasted.

I went to my connection at the local RS today and he had 4 xmods for me, 2 gen 1, an evo, and a truck. One of the cars has a broken knuckle and was returned. That being the only problem, consider if it was kept for parts. The next time someone came in with another broken knuckle they could replace it with one from the parts car and send them on their merry way.

I still cannot believe that throw away these returns, I argue with every manager and I still have yet to see valid reasons to destroy them that out weight keeping them. Now they have to return a customers money or supply them with a new one.... If only they would fix a few here and there, I think they could save a lot of money.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:24 PM

I found out more about the Propulse cars. They are going to be 1/10 scale. Two body designs to start off. One similar to a buggy and a Ford F-150. Starter kit will be $99.99 and similar upgrades to the X-Mods will be available.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Hulk smash!

1/10th??!! That's HUGE (relative to the other "micros").

I don't see how they're considering this a "replacement" to the Xmods.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:50 PM
TinyRC Pro

There is no way I would pay that much for Ratshack quality when you can get a hobby grade 1/10 for just as much!
You can do so much more with them, I wonder where they will go with this line. (If it is true)
Old 09-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Hulk smash!

You can get a hobby grade 1/10th RTR for $99? Don't we all wish that were true!

Maybe you could get a used rolling chassis for that, but no way you're getting all the electronics with it too.

I'm intrigued to see how it'll do though. A buddy of mine has been bugging me to get into 1/10th scale, I've already spent too much at the 1/18th scale...But if the ProPulse comes in a configuration where you can easily swap in your own electronics, well then it just may be a decent gateway to get people into 1/10th.

...We'll see.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:25 AM

I'm not going to say that it must be true but I figure if 2 RS sales reps tell the same story from 2 different stores in 2 different states then the chances are good.

Is it going to be hobby grade? Not 100%, but at least it won't be a toy with no options to the user that wants a little more without having to learn how to solder or do major modifications. Think of it as an inbetween.

It has been my experience that these are the types of products that nurture the novice that is interested in a hobby but doesn't want to jump in to everything all at once. This way someone new to the hobby can learn the basics and once they are ready to go further they can graduate to a more advanced level.

This is actually a good business practice. It helps the customer advance at their own pace and it helps the retailer generate more revenue with repeat business.

Obviously it is a little more complicated than this, but it is a method that has been proven very successful if everything falls into place as planned.

I'm sure RS has it's reasons for not continuing with X-Mods and ZZ, but from the popularity of both lines that I have seen it doesn't make sense to me. X-Mods with their current upgrades offer alot and ZZ had alot of potential (I personally think they should have offered more upgrades similiar to X-mods). However, sometimes there are things that the consumer is not informed about that would shed more light on things.

If you can find a RTR car for $99.99 that can do true not scale 20 mph stock and still be able to buy upgrades for it (which Propulse is supposedly offering) I am sure everyone else here would like to know where they can buy it.

Last edited by steelo; 09-10-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM

well this just sucks. i hope it's not true.

refering to buildings robust means strong and able to stand up to any force going against it, so it will be strong but be able to flex at the same time when there is an earthquake.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:56 PM
TinyRC Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Namuna
You can get a hobby grade 1/10th RTR for $99? Don't we all wish that were true!

Maybe you could get a used rolling chassis for that, but no way you're getting all the electronics with it too.

what about Tamiya's QD series? Excellent details, offroad and onroad choices, and Tamiya quality. I know they aren't as good as Associated or Losi cars, but are the Propulse's???
If RS couldn't even take care of the wheel slop on 1/28th scale with their hop-up parts, what kind of quality will they have with these?

Don't get me wrong here, I have a lot of Xmods & Zips. But with larger scale, I don't see them fairing any better than Nikko's and other toy brands.

I personally think they should fine tune the current vehicles and try to market them to the young and old, alike. Just look at the quality of the most recent Zips ( Cars ), and the OG's. they have done some improvements there.
I am just sceptical.