TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i actually purchased this mini-96 with expansion pack back in november, just now getting to use the space after having to clean it out again. obviously i'll continue to purchase mini-96 kits

i'm all for a special edition track!
i might suggest posting a poll asking what color combinations and or features are most desired. i can understand the concern that people might hold off on a purchase if they know a special is pending. i do recall you did post polls ages ago on tile finishes on mzr. this could be something similar, just inquires about alternative tile/rail choices for the future vs. decision making process for a special edition track. btw, we never saw 'ice' tiles or any of the other choices other than the offroad tiles which i used extensively with overland racing.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

i don't think i ever showed the custom rail ad banners i made for my track long ago either. these were scaled, printed and covered with clear packing tape on the rail.
now that you have rail liners, i can simply reprint on shipping labels and apply them to the liner.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Those look great! I forgot you doing this awhile back. Yes, you will be able to mount the banners on the rail protectors. The protectors are the same height as the US RCP rails. I will take some pictures of them on my track and post up here shortly.

John
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
i actually purchased this mini-96 with expansion pack back in november, just now getting to use the space after having to clean it out again. obviously i'll continue to purchase mini-96 kits

i'm all for a special edition track!
i might suggest posting a poll asking what color combinations and or features are most desired. i can understand the concern that people might hold off on a purchase if they know a special is pending. i do recall you did post polls ages ago on tile finishes on mzr. this could be something similar, just inquires about alternative tile/rail choices for the future vs. decision making process for a special edition track. btw, we never saw 'ice' tiles or any of the other choices other than the offroad tiles which i used extensively with overland racing.

We haven't made that brown bumpy surface in over 5 years. I don't even have any of it left at the warehouse. It wasn't a big seller when we first carried if. I am wondering if now that our tracks have been out for sometime, if more people would be interested in it for rally or off road tracks.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

i have to say i really enjoyed the surface. it would be a bit much for an entire track unless you had ralley races but it would be nice for combined surface tiles where you could have the bumby surface toward the outer edges maybe. i'm not sure how that could be made/finished but sounds neat. it may be easier to just do a multi color tile at the edge as you mentioned.

i know i suggested this ages ago, but applying the stripped finished line paint at inside edge of inside turn tiles would look nice and might function well as grip points for close cornering.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
i have to say i really enjoyed the surface. it would be a bit much for an entire track unless you had ralley races but it would be nice for combined surface tiles where you could have the bumby surface toward the outer edges maybe. i'm not sure how that could be made/finished but sounds neat. it may be easier to just do a multi color tile at the edge as you mentioned.

i know i suggested this ages ago, but applying the stripped finished line paint at inside edge of inside turn tiles would look nice and might function well as grip points for close cornering.

Yes, I was thinking of doing that with green finish line paint. It all comes down to the cost. Oil prices are going up again and it directly affects the cost of the raw materials it takes to make the tracks, being rubber and plastic. The retail price of the tracks has stayed the same for the last 6 years and I don't want the overall cost to go up. We have absorbed all the price increases from the last few years of out of control oil pirces and will try to do the same going forward.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Funny how 1/2" makes a big difference....
Yeah - If I ever get around to purchasing the expansion/turns/chicanes I will have to try and use the taller rails for the outside border and the shorter ones for the inside...

I really like the looks of the Black and Green rails with the red/white corners...That's sweet...

Hey Arch2b - I love showing my wife the pictures of your vast hobby/track collection - makes mine look miniscule in comparison...Ha, Ha, Ha...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

here is the back straight with the new inside turn kit

here is the mid track with new inside turn kit

here is the overall track layout.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:51 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

HERE is video of me and the kids on the test 24" RealTracks layout.

contrary to my expectations, the kids perfer the RCP track layout. they said the track without rails was too hard. naturally, this is because i am teaching them to race on the track and not race on the rails. i'm sure you can hear me repeat something to this nature several times in the video. i would have thought the opposite... that they would prefer a track without rails allowing them to go off.

they like the bumps and banked turn too much too

Last edited by arch2b; 06-07-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

i just ordered 1 set or RCP rail liners! tossed in another finish line kit for good measure. i like to have one complete line for whatever timing system i am using and parts of lines for each driver.

i really look forward to using the rail liners.

i'll try to get revised rail advertising banners in a gallery for others to use as well. what i'd like to do is make a letter size sheet of them so that they can be printed and cut from a single full letter size label paper.

Last edited by arch2b; 06-07-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:25 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

in luck, i managed to find the couple sheets i made all those years ago... please feel free to use them as you wish. keep in mind many of these reference products no longer available, websites no longer available, etc. i good time capsule if you will from the early mini-z days

here they are. i'll include a link where you can download the full size image. See my gallery HERE, click on the image to get it full size before saving.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

here is a video of some practice laps from this morning.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:13 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

i've been track testing my dnano with some new wheels today i've been fortunate enough to be able to obtain the new aluma-tech stock dnano wheels which are a direct replacement for the stock racing wheels in the correct offsets for my skyline.

now, before everyone points out the obvious, yes, the front wheels are smaller than the stock wheels. this is an optional muscle car look if you will that gives the car a bit forward stance while still providing adequate clearance. i'll have the full size front wheels on shortly.

now, i don't have a highly accurate digital scale so i did not take any before of after measurements but i can see/feel the difference in weight on the track. i personally believe the dnano could benefit from some extra weight.

it's hard to put this into an intelligent formulation however my skyline now handles differently and slightly worse WHICH is a good thing and i'll explain why.

before, it was hard for me to discern exactly where and why my dnano was not driving the way i am accustomed to with my mini-z. i personally found the lack of weight and the intense speed to complicate trouble shooting the setup. any slight bump had the potential to knock my car off track. now that the car has even a tad more weight, the traction has picked up and steering is now very sharp. while all the track surface variations do not necessarily alter the cars path as much, i notice much more chatter and hop while driving and cornering.
in my opinion, in a sense, the car is making it much easier for me to understand where the trouble spots are. it's now handling much more like a mini-z which i am very familiar with which gives me some direction to go in selecting hop ups in order to improve suspension. i'll be putting together an order from some tires and h plates first. these have always been the starting points of my mini-z setups.

overall, while the car has some issues, i feel much more comfortable in working through them.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 AM

Hi there Arch, those tires look pretty think on those alloy wheels, are those stock sized wheels, or did you go larger? Also, are those the Kysoho brand? I bet PN tires would look a lot better on those rims.
Hey, I noticed your golden MR02 and your colored transmitters. I have to ask, how did you paint your chassis? It looks so smooth and so factory like! I was impressed. I had thought about the same thing but with silver and other colors. Also, is the paint clear coated and how durable is it?

Oh yea, I also wanted to say, nice house! Is that one of your designs as well?

Last edited by Marcro; 10-04-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

those are the stock racing tires on my dnano's. i have yet to pick up pn tires. the wheels are stock size wheels as well.

the paint was kyrlon. just clean the plastic very well before painting. let it sit for several days for the paint to cure completely. it's done by several thin coats. no clear coat needed. you really don't mess with the chassis more than taking the batteries out and that has held up well.