TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS Mods and Projects

Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Mad Scientist

Mounting Mini-Z bodies on Xmods

I swiped this from the other forum, credit goes to boxcrash for putting this together...

Originally posted by boxcrash

Ok this might work on all XMods, it will have to be up to the builder to decide, measure and evaluate the exact measurements and hardware needed.

This is to get you in the right direction. I would make these, but I would have to know what body you want, purchase it and then mod it and create mounts to make it fit.

Things you will need.
1. Razors( I used razors similar to what replace box cutters)

2. Sandpaper(100-150 grit up to 800 grit. I have 120, 150, 250, 400, 800, 1000, 1200, 2000; higher grit can be found at Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts)
3. Piece of glass or a mirror(large enough to sand parts on. This is the flattest surface to create even sanding, you do not have to be this picky but I am and use it for heatsinks to create a non-highspot/low-spot surface)
4. Mini-Z body, one that comes in a display case or with a rolling display chassis.
5. Small wire snips.
6. Common Xmod Phillips head screwdrivers.
7. Drill and drill bits.(small, cannot remember what size, maybe 15/32 or something, the same size or large enough to allow a XMod screw go through the hole)
8. Qtips, you will use the center shaft that is hollow plastic.
9. Sharpie, pen, pencil something that will mark on white plastic.
10. Two, preferably unused, plastic wheel lugnuts.
11. Super glue
12. Dubro bolt set with blind nuts. I believe it is Item No. 125.
Should be able to be picked up at LHS(local hobby shop)
Plane section.
Here at there site it is on page "51" of 64 in the plane catalog.

a-Now to start off remove the Mini-Z body from the display chassis by pulling on the doors to expand them off the mounts. Now looking inside the body you will see two white clips that are glued to the inner door sides(say tabs removed in the image below).
Just ben these back and forth to remove them until they come off or cut them with the small wire snips/dikes/sidecutters.

b-Now remove the battery cover that comes on the Mini-Z rolling chassis and set it aside, it will be used for the rear mount.

c-Remove the front mount that was holding the Z body to the display chassis, should be two screws on the underside of the chassis.(labeled in image)

d-Now take this front mount and place it in the same area as where the front body mount for the XMod is secured.(so you will have to remove the front springs and the front XMod black body mount)
Notice that the mount holes do not line up in the same holes as the Z white body mount.

Now in order to get them to line up you will need to increase the hole size, slotted. So line up the front white mount on the XMod so it is exactly centered and sitting in the right direction(far enough back, far enough left or right, etc.)

Make a mental note of how much needs to be expanded when this white Z body mount is all lined up.

e-Now increase the size of the hole with the drill and the small drill bit left or right how ever much needed to line up with the mounting holes located on the Xmod chassis, not forward or back because this will possibly increase the hole size to large, making it no longer a hole but a U cut.

Continue this process and of course do small steps, Wallow out the hole a little on both sides then line it back up on the XMod chassis, then if still not right then repeat. BE CAREFUL do NOT get over zealous, take small steps to insure proper diameters/slotting.

f-Once your holes are the right size to allow a screw to go through them straight on from the bottom of the XMod chassis and the front mount lined up in the center left to right and far back enough next you will line it up with the front mounting on the XMod, as if you where going to secure it.

g-Now place some longer screws, meduim size, through the chassis front mount holes and through the newly slotted front Z mount holes.

h-Screw down the two plastic lugnuts onto the screws coming through the chassis and the white Z front mount.
Tighten them enough to still be able to move the front Z mount back and forth and forward and back if needed.

Align the Z mount and hold it aligned and then tighten the plastic lug nuts, snug but do NOT over tighten.
( I used a screwdriver and tightened the phillips screws from below the chassis while holding the lugnuts with the yellow wrench/socket that comes in the starter kit)

i-Now mark around the lugnuts, the outer diameter of the hex shape with a pen, marker, etc. on the white plastic front Z mount. Mark these well enough so you have a exact outline or close outline of where they are exactly located.

j-Now place the Mini-Z body onto the front mount currently secured to the XMod chassis. In other word place the Z body on the XMod....just no rear mounting yet to hold it on properly.

Inspect the wheelbase and where the wheels are currently located in the wheelwell while tightly holding the Z body onto the chassis.
If they are correct skip next parts(k-m), if the rear wheels are to far forward you will have to adjust the rear tail section to a longer wheelbase on the XMod chassis.

--With my Calsonic body the front wheels where all the way back where the "A" post is, the front of the door nearest the front wheel well.
The rear wheels where back in the bumper area.
So the Z mount was too long due to the further back mounting of the front Z mount on the Z chassis's.---

k-Now make a note or measure how much it will take to move the front wheels into the correct placement in the front wheel wells.
When finished remove the Z body.

l-Now remove the front Z mount from the chassis and place it out of the way.
Place a lower grit sandpaper on the mirror or glass near a table edge.

m-Now begin to sand the front section of the front white Z mount. Sand it a little at a time or however much is needed and then continue to mount it and check to see if the wheelbase has changed closer to the desirable setting.
If the stepped section that is located on the Z front mount begins to get to small in length so as enough of it will not fit nicely into the "Squared" slot in the front spoiler of the Z body, begin to sand down the sides of the white Z mount increased the length/depth of the square stepped portion.

Note: I used the edge of the glass and sanded it down vertically.
example(in your case, front mount should be removed from chassis)----

Continue to sand using a low grit paper, 150 and then a higher grit for slower and less sanding 400-1000 and continue to check the change in the wheel locations, front and rear--small steps, because this VERY crucial, more can be removed, but more cannot be added so be VERY careful.

n-Once the wheelbase is adjusted properly for the front Z mount we will need to secure the plastic lugnuts to the mount so you can easily remove the front mount and switch back to the original black XMod mount.
So in order to do this we will use the outlines we have drawn of where the lugnuts sit when fastened securely and aligned properly on the XMod chassis.

So simply take your super-glue and glue the lugnuts in the exact spot within the outlines. Of course on the top side of the mount, so looking down at the top of the car, glue them on that side.
--Note: Be sure to only place the glue on the edges of the lugnuts and front mount. Do not cover the holes with glue or the hole in the center of the lugnut. This is CRUCIAL.
Also allow time for the glue to dry completely before screwing screws into the lugnuts, and additionally I would recommend using the yellow lug wrench to hold them but do NOT twist when holding, just hold to keep from trying to twist any in any tightening procedure at any time.

Once this is complete our attention will be brought to the rear mount.

For the rear mount we will need the front white modded Z mount secured and the Z body placed bak upon it and lined up. Get a idea of how far foward the rear mount needs to be to line the mount up with rear Xmod chassis slot.

Then if you can mark it on the inside of the car body. Tape, marker, etc. be pretty precise.

Last edited by neurokinetik; 02-20-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Mad Scientist

o-Now take the black battery cover piece from the Z display chassis. Cut it a size that will fit in the back trunk/window inside area of the Z body.
Line it up with the screw holes that hold the rear Z body spoiler on.

p-Now cut the corners with your sidecutters/wire cutters of the modded battery cover/black plastic so that it will sit better against the inner shape of the rear bumper of the Z body.
Sand with the 400 grit or 200 grit, whatever is required to create more of a curve.

--Note: I sanded vertically holding the piece and on the glass back and forth and on the corners that where cut flat.

q-Now line up the created rear black mount with the rear spoiler holes and mark the black plastic piece where they are located left to right.
Drill the holes in the black plastic mount piece, in the rear where you marked the screws. make sure they line up equally as far back.

r-Now take the rear black clip mount off the Xmod body and line it up in the middle of the plastic black mounting plate, closer to the front. Meaning farthest away from the rear holes your drilled for the spoiler screws.
Mark the center hole of the XMod mount clip on the black plastic mounting plate.

s-Now drill the hole with a small drill bit, slot it so it goes toward the back, so drill several holes in a line going straight back towards the rear of the plate.
Do not go all the way back, too far.

t-Now take the Dubro kit and remove the blind nut, and a screw.
Blind nut---

Secure the XMod mounting clip to the black plastic mounting plate. You place the blind nut on the rear side of the black plate and use one of the long screws to hold them together.

u- You will notice that the rear XMod chassis clip is angled funny.
1.So in order to fix this you will need to dissassemble this setup and cut the long screw to a shorter length so it still goes into the threads of the blind nut but does not stick way out the end.
2.Sand the blind nut down, the shaft side with the threads, sand it shorter, not too short just somewhat shorter.(because a section of the Q-Tip shaft will sit over the screw threads taking up the space between the black plastic mount and the XMod rear chassis clip, allowing them to sandwich evenly)
3.Sand the digging teeth down on the blind nut some, not much just a little bit to allow it to still dig but just closer to the surface of the plastic mount, the battery cover mount that is.

v-Now cut a section of a Q-Tip shaft to a 2 mm piece.
Place the cut long screw through the rear Xmod chassis clip and slide this cut Q-Tip piece(actualy I used a black plastic tie rod end arm cut for a 1/10th Nitro car/truck because the outer diameter was alot larger,but I think the Q-Tip and maybe a washer will work)

w-Now place the plastic rear black mounting plate over the chassis clip and the screw the blind nut onto the the long screw threads.

x-Tighten the screw pulling the blind nut down far enough so it starts to grab and tighten, but leave it loose enough to slide it forward or back thus moving the rear chassis clip forward or backward.

y-Now mount the rear section of the black mounting plate to the spoiler screws and secure the spoiler holding on the rear mounting plate.

z-Now place it on the chassis and see if it all lines up right. If not move the chassis clip forward or back until it is lined up properly.Then tighten completely.

Now you should be rolling XZ style yo.

Any questions or thoughts, stuck areas, etc. you can contact me via email @ boxcrash@yahoo.com
Old 02-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Told ya.

Send a message via AIM to sessiz10
A square of velcro on the battery clips and another on the inside of the body seems to work pretty damn good. I have a porsche body attached this way and aren't having any problems yet. I have taken a few nice slams to the sides of the car without any movement of the body on the chassis. I'm assuming that a nice bang headon may be the downfall of this mounting though. Time will tell.

Meh.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:00 AM
TinyRC XModder

Very nice...finally a way to mount a Mini-Z body as well as the stock body is mounted.

Do you get a display chassis with every body?
-Fully Adjustable Plate-type LSD
-4/5/6 Cell Mod
-Rayovac IC-3's
-Body kit
-Wheel & Tire upgrade
-All Wheel Drive Kit
-Command Logic Light Kit w/ 5mm high intensity blue LED foglights
-Ball Bearing Upgrade

[url]
Old 02-21-2004, 08:08 AM
--PCB smoker--

Cool.

Yeah I found this mounting to be just as good as the original or better.

It also allows you to remove the front chassis body hold.
And reinstall the Xmod one.
If you can think of something better to use for holding the to the Z chassis front plate, like plastic weld, jb weld, etc.

I had the superglued ones come off once, but I take it on and off alot.

If you want to reduce weight you also could drill the rear mounting plate.
Though this body with all the mounting fully dressed only weighs 41grams, and that was right after I made it so I could loose probably down to 35grams if I wanted, and the stock Sky body is about 48grams fully dressed.

Thanx, Neuro.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 AM
maxximum attack

I noticed that the tutourial says nothing about the suspension springs. What do I do with them? The angle seems to have changed a little.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:07 AM
--PCB smoker--

Well they fit into the two holes just the same as the XMods do.

Are they too tight now??
Or too loose???

I have about 1/4" rubber spacers placed under my springs to stiffen them up anyhow, and they are at there max, stiff as they get.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:01 PM
maxximum attack

They now have less play. Should I make the holes bigger to copy the xmod holes?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:38 PM
--PCB smoker--

Quote:
Originally posted by maxximum attack
They now have less play. Should I make the holes bigger to copy the xmod holes?
No, less play should be good, they will be a stiffer spring and less lateral movement.
As long as they fit in the hole, they do not change the toe, caster or camber any so you should be OK.
Or least as far as I could tell.

I might look into it somemore, but I have had no problems out of it.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM

ok this is a great tutorial but where can i get mini-z bodies???/
Old 05-17-2004, 05:08 AM
Tiny RC Guru

hes right 2 pieses of velcro on tha batery holders and one an tha front body mount wrks just fine
Old 07-03-2004, 01:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to JDM-R34
Hey I new here, I from Bitpimps.com, anyway You could just use the mount off the xmod bodies and attach it to the MiniZ body or whatever type body You may be using.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to hotrod29728 Send a message via Yahoo to hotrod29728
Nice job Neurokinetik this has to be one of the best described tutorials I have seen in my life...Which has been a short 14 years...

Current Microsizers:
Black Toyota Bb with 2.2 motor and Red Gears/Axle from ZZ's
Black Nissan Skyline with 2.2 motor and Red Gears/Axle from ZZ's

Current Zip Zaps:
Black 68 Camaro SS
Red 25th Anniversary Camaro
Black Chevelle SS SE
Mazda RX-7 SE
Mazda RX-7 SE
Silver Pontiac Trans Am
Orange Mustang SE
Old 10-17-2004, 11:06 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Well i hope i can find an enzo ferrari body to do this.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:14 AM
I really should change my title...

Any hope on getting those pictures?