TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/43 and Smaller > Kyosho dNaNo > Kyosho dNaNo

Old 01-08-2010, 03:29 PM

CORE hardware, Flipside Racing software and dNaNo

Hi All,

Quick question to the group about feedback on how the above noted combo works.

Flip Side had commented the following:

Yes, if you use the Flip Side software with the Core lap counter it can
detect the dNaNo cars. But it suffers from the same problem that the
smaller Core tags did, it does not get a very strong signal. The dNaNo's
will only be detected around the antenna wire itself and not in the middle
of it like we are used to with the regular tags.

Arch2b was kind enough to let me borrow a dNaNo for the Kyosho lap counter
work and while I had it I tested it with my software and the Core reader.
But since I did not have a controller to run the car I could only wave it
around with my hand and confirm that it worked.

No one has confirmed that the tags get detected well enough during a race.
A few people have said they will try but I have never heard back after that.
So if you do get a chance to try and it does or does not work please let me
know.

So, is anyone running this combo and how does it work?

Note I have a post in both the mini-zracer.com and giro-z.com forums to TRP (people who make the Giro-Z lap counter hardware) about using their transponders with dnanos.

Also note that my first order went into Kyosho America today and that I can provide feedback on the above to everyone.

Cheers,

S
Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i don't think there has been enough spread of either timing systems and or dnano's to provide flipside with a large amount of feedback. i honestly have not tried this with my setup but i will this weekend as i have a core unit, dnanos and both corespeedway and flipside software.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 AM

Sorry, at the club we use the kyosho hardware so I won't be abble to comment.

But I can already tell you that we really love the flipside software.
It's still improving almost every week and that's a really cool product.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:00 PM

....very, very interested in progress of this. Have the Kyosho system ...let us know how your testing goes Arch.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

i tired for an hour or so and was not able to get core using flipside to read a dnano transponder?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:41 AM

my bad; I thought the combo you were testing was Kyosho + Flipside (not Core + Flipside). If Core understood customer service, they would have cut a deal with Kyosho to upgrade all old Core users to the latest (Kyosho) stuff for minimal charge. That's just the way it's done.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:08 AM

Lornecherry, at my club, we use the kyosho hardware and the flipside software and it works like a charm.

Don't hesitate and go for it!
The kyosho software looks ridiculous compared to the flipside in terms of fonctionnality and information given to the user.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

yep, i've been trying to tell people here that for a long time. i think they just didn't get that kyosho isn't interested in making a better product at the time, just wanted to get it out i guess and that flipside is continuiously supported and really just in the basic stages. i can't wait for it to incorporate race management.

parts i love are auto delete drivers, scan drivers as you go and the statistical data it reads back to you during a race. oh, can't for get the bargin prices for the generic transponders. i managed to get one of the square ones taped to the bottom of my dnano. wide bodies will be a since, narrow bodies, you will see the ends on either side.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM

...downloaded the files, and it has a variety of buttons to click on the home screen, including some setup movies. I click on those and nothing happens. I know this isn a support forum for Flip Side, ...I assume it requires some type of media player, other than the one I'm using? Just cant get it to work.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornecherry View Post
...downloaded the files, and it has a variety of buttons to click on the home screen, including some setup movies. I click on those and nothing happens. I know this isn a support forum for Flip Side, ...I assume it requires some type of media player, other than the one I'm using? Just cant get it to work.
flipside does have a support forum in mini-zracer.com
Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 AM

Hello!

Those vids are supposed to work in a later version. Don't worry if you don't find them, it's normal.

The soft is really easy to use. Don't worry about some testing of functions.
And don't worry if your car isnt recognized at the first lap. The soft first take the car, then begin to count so the first crossing on the lap counter, nothing happens, then at second crossing, you can hear the beep and then at third crossing you'll heard your laptime. You only have to beat it after that!

Enjoy,
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM

Fantastico!

Thanks for the support and referral to the correct forum ... it seems I did need a later build of the Beta that supports the Kyosho timing ribbon.
After setting it all up, I did some testing on both a notebook and a 24" monitor, driving three different d’nanos on our new high-speed banked oval. The results passed my (often overly) critical expectations and I am quite impressed at the utility, customization possibilities and overall polish of the system.

I will say that after 5 years of looking for a professional-grade timing system for micro scale, this is finally, the real deal. Kyosho's ribbon and Flip Side's software work very well together, and other than some delays in initially registering the cars; the system never dropped a lap, even at full throttle. No transponders to worry about, a strong signal on our new foam surface, and non-intrusive race management and setup.

The race customization is strong, as is the reporting and race management. I also like being able to run custom backgrounds, graphics and logos and the ability to print our logo on the race results hard copies.

The only change I would like to see is more choices than the '80s robot voice.
The Kyosho timing software pales in comparison, and the Flip Side is actually faster to setup/enter cars, once you've learned the screens.

On the oval, I ran 10 lap/50 sec., timed solo trials (I had no one to race against) ...ie. you have 50 seconds to complete 10 laps and get a best time. It was very entertaining and added a new dimension to the already challenging banked oval. Choosing the proper racing line and hitting the apex just right shaves a few hundredths, not noticeable by the naked eye, but very real with the software.

To me, this is a big final step in designing a Table Top racing system that is not a toy and challenges both novice and skilled drivers.
While testing this, I envisioned Arch's thread of yesterday regarding his disappointment when seeing an HT in-store track setup, and when he compared it to the 1/10th scale guys in the back and their professional setup:

Quote:
honestly, i'm not very impressed. the layout space seems very limited. the placement in the store is akward to say the least. it looked very much unused, dirty, had an uneven portion.

in appearance, it looks nice. colors are good, assembly looks solid. the carpet texture is very interesting as i've never raced on carpet before. i'm hoping that once properly leveled, the panel gaps disappear but these were noticeable.

i look forward to meeting up with the maryland guys at some point to actually get some racing done and stats on the website but right now, it doesn't seem like that will be happening anytime with any urgency.

oh, i couldn't find any dnano parts? there was only 2 employee's in the front half of the store and both were at the front register. the dnano display case looked as if it doesn't get used much either. they did not have any of the latest body selections in stock, just the old ones. prices were reasonable but more expensive than the va beach store.

now, i ventured to the back of the shop to their main race track. this was HUGE. the pit space was absolutely jammed pack with people and gear. i walked over to the grand stands to watch a couple races as i've never really watched a 1:10 scale race. lets just say they take it MUCH more seriously than mini-z racing.
If those 1:10th scale guys were exposed to a properly setup (and challenging) track in a true micro-scale environment, they would take another look and take it much more seriously. The Core/Kyosho/Flipside certainly bring us one step closer to that.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

the choices and options for race stats is also impressive. i can't tell you how nice it is to have audible feedback while racing.

i've not done much other than changing the club name. i haven't figured out how to customize the backgrounds yet but i'm eager to do so. if you could post some directions i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 PM

i
Quote:
haven't figured out how to customize the backgrounds yet but i'm eager to do so. if you could post some directions i would greatly appreciate it.
A graphics program, such as Corel Draw and some experience in resizing with "pixel" programs such as Photoshop is certainly helpful.

Go the file folder named Theme and rename the standard logos and backgrounds by adding a 1 to the end of the file name (that way, you can easily remember the correct name should you want to revert to the original).

Then create or import your logo and resize to the exact pixel dimensions of the orginal file you are replacing. Save it as the same name as the file you are replacing. That's all you need to do, the program will automatically use the new logo when it opens the home screen.

You can also change the colour of the background from the black (which I'm not that fond of) to something a little easier on the eyes by creating a new graphic and replacing the BG_Frame file.

I only fiddled with the graphic files for a little while, I'm sure I can replace the opening Flip Side logo also, as that is confusing to our users. (Just be sure to give credit to the original author by adding "software developed by Flip Side Racing". )
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Interesting writeup lornecherry, I'll have to mention this software to the local HT owner. Do you know if it will comunicate with the Kyosho site and update the stats like laps run etc.? We have been less than impressed with the software here as well.