TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 11-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Alpine Renault adaptation (! pics)

So now this slotcar body is finished and fits a Murcielago chassis.
Nothing was done on the detailing itself wich was perfect in stock form (autoscale like).
I had to dremel out some of the interior like the seats and pilots, the pilots are cut until below the arms to clear the chassis.
I don't have the precise tooling to drill the 4 screw holes for a custom H plate so I used 2 ends of a broken stock plate and joined them with a carbon plate with CA glue, leaving 4mm of gap wich is what I needed for extension. It works very well, a little stiffer than stock but perfect for the added weight and it holds good so far.
For the body clips, there is a foam block front with a slot for the front clip and a black plastic plate is glued on top of it to secure the clip mini-z like. For the side mounts I used the same foam CA glued to body sides with screws locked in them. The screws are in fact the centering pegs, the head of the screws being towards the body.
Done in half an hour, simple but effective.
Weight of the Alpine body 18g vs 10 gr for the Murcielago
Wheelbase Alpine 66mm vs Murcielago 62mm
The slotcar had a light kit (still in place) but there is not enough current coming from the chassis to light them unfortunately (slotcars = 12volts).

Last edited by fovea3d; 11-13-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Nice work, how does it drive, can you take a video of that in action?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks Marc,
Im just back we had a session on a friends mini96. I must say I like the Alpine very much. At one point I broke the custom H plate and reverted to the Murcielago so actually I can compare both of them. The Alpine is slightly heavier (+7 grams). Thats not much but it is noticeable in the straight with full throttle. While with the Alpine body the car is a little slower from stop, it is also more nimble while with the Murcielago body going full throttle on the straight would be quicker but loose traction more often and go off center (X-speed + foam tires on alloys + giro + stock diff). The Alpine body allows for safer driving and the Murcie is better for aggressive driving (but with more losses of control). But I still managed to win a heat with the Alpine body before I broke the plate. The plastic section of the plate broke, I think its because the rear wheels stick out a bit. The glue point held well BTW...
Very happy to discover that you can swap the Murcielago with something else, and it will still be very competitive, at least with a low profile body like the Alpine. Also the slotcar body is a very good choice because everything is built for durability, slotcars are also meant to crash sometimes or even fall from tables
Video of the track. Sorry, my cam, could not film myself...

Last edited by fovea3d; 11-15-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Can you post that on YouTube? I have Mac and it won't play WMV media. Thank's!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcro View Post
Can you post that on YouTube? I have Mac and it won't play WMV media. Thank's!
Well I don't use Youtube, but maybe you can DL this so you can watch any WMV using QT?
Anyway you won't see the Alpine running on my vid, only the track with other cars running.

I made a custom H bar finally, found the exact drill bit for the holes.

Also tried other tires that are more to scale (front = Epoch, rear = thicker foams) not sure if they are better than the skinny ones as the CG is now higher.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 AM

The rear's look good, but the fronts still look small. Nice though, very cool to have drivers inside! I like it!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks Marc. Its difficult to find tires that will look good AND perform well as like to race my adaptations. So far the skinny tires are the best and it is what I use now, because this allows me to swap with the Murcielago body very easily (by only exchanging H-plates).
Anyway on the alpine (real one) the tires are not that big and the rims are even smaller:

Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Not too far off then! LOL! Nice.......................
Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
what wheels and tires are those in the rear of the first ret of photos?

thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
what wheels and tires are those in the rear of the first ret of photos?

thanks
Hi Akura; the wheels are the same on all the pictures of my dNaNo. They are AVM alloys, no longer made I believe. The rear tires were lathed with a dremel tool from a foam block.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to akura2 Send a message via Yahoo to akura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovea3d View Post
Hi Akura; the wheels are the same on all the pictures of my dNaNo. They are AVM alloys, no longer made I believe. The rear tires were lathed with a dremel tool from a foam block.
ah.. I have the AVM wheels and titanium axles for my XRay M18.... awesome product..

oh well.. thanks

Last edited by akura2; 04-20-2010 at 06:25 PM.