TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/64 and Smaller > ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE > ZipZaps Monster Truck

Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Another old modder.

After screwing up one MT chassis I can't tell you how nervous I am to attempt this again.
I'm going to pick up some Xmod bearings and a dremmel set.

I really want to break down this barrier, because from the videos I've seen it really unlocks the potential of the platform.

-and heck, I've DONE the other mods already!!

It's embarassing.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael.mt2k
...because from the videos I've seen it really unlocks the potential of the platform...
Absolutely!

Probably the biggest fear with this Mod is because it's destructive. There's no turning back once you start chopping parts.

But the rewards (IMO) are worth the risk! I didn't even have the proper tools when chopping up the chassis (I lost the brand new hand saw I bought SPECIFICALLY for this mod and had to resort to using wire cutters!) and in the end it's still awesome!

The next MT I do this mod to is gonna be a LOT more well done!...I just need to find a store that sells hollow metal tubing that's big enough to allow the drive shaft, but small enough to fit snugly in an Xmods small bearing. This would be ideal (I think) for removing all slop between the segregated chassis.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Another old modder.

I just glanced into the box of MT stuff I bought from my store.

With five MTs you think I'll get one articulation right? I screwed one up a while back doing something wrong.

I am really looking forward to making one that also combines all of the other MT mods I've done when it happens!

Summer's been busy. I got married June 29th.
(We've been together 16 years, just a formality.)
Old 07-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Hulk smash!

Hey, congrats mt2k! It's about time you made it official huh?

Something to keep in mind with doing multiple mods...After you do the Articulation Mod you've basically gutted the chassis case. So any Mods that needs to be encased is no longer viable.

As well, I wanted to do a PCB swap with an iWaver PCB to maky my Crawler MT propo...But the iWaver PCB is too long and stops the crawler from articulating properly! I learnt that lesson the hard way!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I process, therefore I am

Quote:
As well, I wanted to do a PCB swap with an iWaver PCB to maky my Crawler MT propo...But the iWaver PCB is too long and stops the crawler from articulating properly! I learnt that lesson the hard way!
I really wanted to do this too. I've been racking my brain for ways to design the chassis so I can articulate and use the Iwaver board. But, it's a tough one.
Lately, I've been considering just dropping the Iwaver PCB into an SE. Been done and is pretty easy to do. I may just do this and get another Iwaver board for the MT and take a stab at it later.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:06 AM
Another old modder.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I don't plan on swapping the PCB out.
That's taking it one step farther than I'm willing to go.
(Of course that what I said about articulation at one point too!)

Once I get the articulation knocked out then I grab my MTs and my camera and head over to a nearby garden center to try some real rock climbing and take some photos/movies of the action.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Another old modder.

Quote:
Originally posted by Namuna
...Something to keep in mind with doing multiple mods...After you do the Articulation Mod you've basically gutted the chassis case. So any Mods that needs to be encased is no longer viable...
I've seen a few pics of how it's come out for other folks.
It looks like MY biggest problem is where to hang TWO battery packs. (I like to parallel for longer run time)

I want this thing to climb (scale) rocks for real, so keeping the weight low and balanced is something I'll be keeping in mind.
Once I get the mod done I'll be able to see the new "framework" I have to work within.

There is SOMETHING about engineering at this scale that is compelling.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM
Hulk smash!

Sounds to me like you'll be wanting to do the following additional Mods (if it isn't already on your to-do list) for that Crawler you crave:

- Extra gears in the Gearbox:
http://www.gcrossett.com/zipzaps/mod...slow/index.htm

- Weigh the wheels down:
If you've got spare copper wire, wrap a bunch around the inner wheels and then put the tires on.

- Swap in a faster/torquier steering motor:
I hear a lot of recommendations for swapping in a ZipZaps Red motor.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I know I know Nothing

Just did the mod, Not entirely pleased with the amount of slop. I did a good portion of this without revoving the wiring. (I get nervous with tiny solders)

I want a way to make rotation smooth and not have any sag. I also noticed that my steering sucks hard at times, and it has a hard time returning to zero. What do you guys do to keep the steering motor in place. Mine wants to jump out quite a bit.

thoughts?

Quick tip. Go to radioshack and buy one of thier replacement tele antenna (34" for 3.99) and use the second to last section. Great close fit and it didnt require a lot of work to get it to sit in the shaft groove. (clean it up mister)
It also comes with two tiny copper washers that were quite nice for this.

I also highly recommend a dremel.

Namuna, where did you attach your batteries on the lower section of the chasis? On top of the terminals? Mine are on the PCB and I dont like the fit and look.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Hulk smash!

My setup is far from fancy.

The battery pack sits basically where it was before the mod, I decided not to cut away the charging pods on the bottom.

For slop removal, I plan to do the following and have already gotten the parts:
Needed items:
- 6mm Ball Bearings (A good set is the ones at Radioshack, but they're discontinued so may be hard to find)
- 1/8" Brass tubing (a more specific fit, or use the telescoping antenna piece, whatever's cheaper or better for you).

Depending on the tolerances in the thickness, you might have to sand down the outter diameter of the tubing and also the drive axle in order to have everything fit.

The idea with the ball bearing is that you'll be gluing the outter surface to the segregated chassis (1 on each side), at the point where the articulation occurs. The tubing is then glued to the inside of the ball bearing. Doing this will remove the slop and still allow full articulation.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:44 PM
I know I know Nothing

I had something pretty cool going last night. it was a simple nut, dont even know the size, it was from a box of nuts, but I grinded it at an angle kinda...hard to explain, but basically when it articulated, it always wanted to come back to center. Not dramatically so. Hard to explain. I ended up changing it because it wouldnt clear the charger.

I plan on spedning another 2 hours on it tonight...if it works out...Ill do it to my other one.

The last part is I want a better way to attach a body. Possibly centering the pcb and using the pcb cover to help it sit more steady.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Another old modder.

Quote:
Originally posted by Namuna
Sounds to me like you'll be wanting to do the following additional Mods (if it isn't already on your to-do list) for that Crawler you crave:

- Extra gears in the Gearbox:
http://www.gcrossett.com/zipzaps/mod...slow/index.htm

- Weigh the wheels down:
If you've got spare copper wire, wrap a bunch around the inner wheels and then put the tires on.

- Swap in a faster/torquier steering motor:
I hear a lot of recommendations for swapping in a ZipZaps Red motor.

Good luck!
All on the list!
Actually I want to make an articulated version of Project: XL-1
Old 08-17-2006, 05:51 PM
TinyRC Pro

no wire cutting

I would just like to say that it's possibe to do this mod by cutting no wires if you dont saw.I used a utility knife and heated the blade to cut.Nice and clean worked well.Just have a steady hand lol.Hope I save someone some hassle.I did me cause i hate saudering!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 PM
TinyRC Pro

its true i did it to without cutting any wires
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Another old modder.

I'm getting closer to setting up for this articulation thing.
We've been doing some home improvements so stuff like this gets pushed back.

The great thing is that the stuff is waiting there for me to get around to it.

In the meantime I'm keeping an eye on the great work everyone is posting here.