TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-03-2005, 10:19 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Stock FETs max Amps?

i recently bought an xmod from RS, and all i gotta say is...wow. these things are awesome. i've been installing car stereos and working on cars/trucks for a while now and i never realized how this can be a hobby in which i can combine both electrical and vehicle/mechanical knowledge and have a blast doing it!

i've scoured a few different forums for the past few weeks, learning all i can, and this is definetly the most knowledgeable and friendliest one out there. it's nice to see that people are actually helping people out and not just trying to promote their businesses.

anyways, i've decided to build a custom xmod (of course!) with some oversized off-road tires and i'm gonna need some serious torque. some speed too would be nice b/c i'll also run it with regular tires. for now, i want to buy/build a 180 motor that will not require a FET upgrade. i do have a 2-cell Li-Ion upgrade. i'll upgrade FETs later. Here's what i've been considering with some questions underneath each:

1. Orion Elite Stock 180
is the timing on this backwards or is that just the Orion Elite modified 180? how do i fix that?
is this a big improvement over a stage 2 with new mags?

2. Custom build a 180 motor with 35? turns of 26ga? w/ comm and endbell off of a stage 2 motor.
is this basically the HULK 180?

or

3. Use a stage 2 130 motor with spinbrush or neo mags
is this even in the same league of torque as the above?
do neos on a S2 require FET upgrade?

i ran accross this thread. it's kinda old and it seemed like at the time the amp limit for stock FETs was unknown. seemed like 0.7A would be ok though.

i also ran across this thread. seemed to be the "birthplace" of the HULK 180. in it moe says that the Hulk pulls 1.40A, but on his site he says the it does not require a FET upgrade. is this the same HULK motor? does this mean that stock FETs can handle a 1.4A constant load?

what's the max amps the stock FET's can handle?

which do you guys recommend for a high-torque solution? i'm thinking about just dropping some new mags in a stage 2 or buying the Orion (if timing is ok) that's ready to go for now if that'll get the job done, but i don't know.

sorry for such a long post. thanks for the help; any suggestions or opinions are appreciated. i look forward to returning the favor.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
TinyRC Pro

personally, i don't like 180 motors(bad experiences, breaking them, fustrating)

-I would suggest getting the motor upgrade kit from www.minizworkshop.com
theyre in hong kong so expect to wait two weeks!
torque on your stage 2 will ~ double and top speed will be a bit lower

-if you are on a budget try spinbrush magnets and timing advance...it doesn't lower top speed as much and adds a good amount of torque.

-try getting the tamiya torque tuned off of ebay search mini4wd motor...they are the cheapest motor with the most torque(insane for a 130 motor)

-35 turns of 26 ga will not pull 1.4 amps(probably stall) but without load it should pull even less than a stage 2!
remember you can put a lot more wire on a 180 motor armature!

-unless you have experience with winding motors i wouldn't suggest attempting on a 180 motor...i think they are a bit harder to wind.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
TinyRC Newbie

thanks for the quick reply.

wow, the tamiya 4wd motor is cheap! that has more torque than a stage 2 with spinbrush mags huh? how does top speed compare? also, if i put neos in a S2 how does that compare? do i need a FET upgrade for neos in a S2?

i've also read some people have burnt up their S2 with the Li-Ion upgrade. does putting new mags in it take care of that possible problem? thanks again.

Last edited by 4Runner; 05-03-2005 at 10:57 PM.