TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 11-01-2002, 10:45 AM

Once you take the diff apart you are commited to replace something? Do we know if you can purchase a new diff or any parts? I have one with a missing internal gear and it will not turn once it spins around to that gear.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:06 PM

IRC,

how did it go "missing"? Fell out while you were running it, or when you were taking it apart?

Please explain; any pictures would also be great.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:53 PM

gertman, I emailed the place I purchased the Epoch from and that guy suggested the idea that the wheels might be spinning, you know how they just pop on and off. So he suggested gluing them on. This seems to me like it is the problem I was having, but if not, then I dont know.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 PM

I don't know about that.......seems to me like if that were the problem, you would have noticed.

Hey, hay, WAIT a minute........just take off both rear wheels and see what it does. I think they'll still touch the floor. If not, putting light pressure on them while running should be the same.

If you do glue, try not to use something so permanent. You never know when you may need to remove those wheels.

Again, good luck.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:50 PM

Okay, I took off the rear wheels, although I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking for. I started to run the motor and the gears and everything are catching fine. Once in a while tho I can see that it doesn't catch and I just hear the motor spin, and the diff doesn't move. When looking at the car from the back if I put light pressure with my finger on the right wheel, the motor spins and the gears dont move.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:06 PM

?right wheel? The wheel nearest the diff?

With the rear wheels removed, could the hubs reach the ground? If so try running it and see what happens.........other wise out some light pressure on the wheels while the are spinning. If this induces the diff to "slip" then it's not loose wheels.

Try holding one wheel while running it, what happens? What about if you hold the other wheel? What does pressure inward on the wheel closest to the diff do, while running?

Until you give me some more answers on the stuff to try above.......Either tooth(s) are broken off one of the gears in the diff or it has some how come loos. I really doubt that it has come loose, I am thinking tooths are either broken or worn down from ware.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:15 PM

Gert,

I was cleaning my car with compressed air and spun the diff so fast it chiped a internal diff gear that is why I took mine apart. But is seams 3 out of the 5 Epochs I have have rough diff's?
Old 11-04-2002, 11:27 PM

3 out of 5!!!

YOU know, that's not so good.........come to think of it, that's TERRIABLE!!!!

It IS made in China you know!!!

How did you realize that you chipped a tooth? Any way, how many gears are inside that diff?
Old 11-04-2002, 11:35 PM

Yeah they work ok but they are rough. If I recall the diff has 3 bevel gears. Mine broke from abuse but I have had no problems with others breaking. I realized somethig was wrong so I checked it out and found a bevel geat cracked in the main spure gearcracked.The car says made in China on it? Still It is a great package for the money!
Old 11-05-2002, 12:17 AM

With both rear wheels removed the only the right hub(looking at the car from the back) touces the ground and when I run the car on my wood desk it gets some traction and the starts to spin(slowly) due to only the right side touching. Once I set the car on my mouse pad where the right hub gets more traction, I only hear the motor spin and the diff doesn't move nor the right hub. Now, holding the car up and running it with no pressure, everything spins fine and all the gears are working. With slight pressure on the right hub everything still spins fine, but just slower because of the pressure. On the left side( the side with the white gears) with slight pressure everything is fine, with a lot of pressure the gears stop and just the motor spins.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:34 AM

OK so let me get this straight,

If you were to immobilize the left wheel, while running in the air, the right wheel would not turn?

Is that what happens with your car?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:24 AM

Yes that is correct.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:31 AM

SHOOT

Sorry, I got nothing for yeah. Try and ask Tiny if he can get replacment parts. Something is terriably wrong with the gears in your diff.

Another thought is, the Yokomo car (the one that is smaller than the Epoch) may have a ball diff or at least a gear diff availble that you may be able to buy separately.

I would check into both. Sorry I can't help you anymore. I feel really bad for you.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:45 AM

Its okay, thanks for trying to help me though. I think I'm just gonna exchange it for another one, the guy said it was cool. This sucks. haha
Old 11-05-2002, 04:34 PM

WOW

Even after you modified it with a 4cell pack, the guys going to let you exchange it. That really is COOL.