TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 03-04-2004, 09:43 PM
TinyRC Pro

well i finally got mine a few days ago and i must say for the price i cant complain.since then i gave them to my brother and i upgraded to ic-3"s and they are great .we dont run them (the cars) until the batts die, but i can really tell a difference inthe power between the ic-3"s and RS batts. overall if your on a buget and need batts, for 24.99 i would say go for it.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:31 AM
JesUSAves

Question KenntD...

Hey KennyD,
I'm not talking inches, I'm talking feet. I've never pulled a tape messure out but I will if I need to. The way that I've messured was by taking steps. I'm a 6'2" tall person with a stried of around 3'. When I step it off I count between 25 steps (that would average 75') and sometimes up to 35 steps (that would average 105'). Most of the time the reason that I stop there is because I can't see where the cars are going anymore.
I know this sounds hard to believe because I had a hard time believing it myself until I steped it off again. I wish I could get a video of it to show everyone. My sons car is the same way also. He has a Supra and I have the Skyline. I don't think that makes a bit of differance but it's just the cars that we have.
The only thing that I can think of is that we don't beat-up our cars at all. I think they have only hit each other maybe 2 or 3 times. Other than that, they have never hit anything except the grass or maybe glanced off the wall inside but that was at slow speeds. Anywho, does anybody else out there get very good range?
One more thing. We kinda live out in the country where there is not a bit of interferance with the electronics, we drive on very smooth asphalt were we only maybe hit very-tiny pebbels, and they have never felt water on there electronics at all.
Anyhow bud, I sure do wish that you could see it. It's pretty wild seeing cars turn when they only look like a speck of color.

Take Care,
KnotHole...

Last edited by KnotHole; 03-05-2004 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:10 PM
codedat

it is possibly to get that kind of range from your XMod but it also depends on clear LOS and nearby interference, but it is possible. The most I got from mine is about a block long and the city I'm in are blocks are about 180' to 250'. BTW I was at a park when I tried mine.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:34 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via ICQ to KennyD Send a message via AIM to KennyD
Alright, I believe you. I'd say its a combination of a few things... One being out in the country. As far as I know, every electronic device makes some sort of interference. Also because you've obviously taken very good care of them and maybe as another you two got xmods out of an outstanding batch. I wish my xmod experience was like yours, I had nothing but hell from mine. Thats the reason I decided to try mini-z racers and have been happy ever since. My cousins xmods aren't half as bad as my 5-6 were.. After I returned my 5th or 6th car, I decided to go ahead and ask for my money back
Later man.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:11 PM
codedat

I think you just had a bad RS experience. I know some try to resell the broken ones thinking the customer doesn't know what they are talking about. (Take note I did say some, not all. I had to repair a few when I was an employee to make the customers happy.) But the whole idea is that your problem should not of happened. I've been in retail and manufacturing a long time and a new one delivered str8 from the factory should have been shipped to your house. (At lease I whould have done that.) Continuing on, most people have to understand that there are several factors which can alter your product (several mentioned in several threads across all forums. Quality control, distrubution, support, and aftermarket products. It seems like the 1st 3 were neglicted. Which all of us are seem to have felt. Personally I would have checked to 1st compnet the Main PCB and used a thicker clad of copper. But anywho glad you like your mini Z, they are hobby class, not RS class. They didn't call em XMods for nothing.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 PM
TinyRC Pro

I agree... My RS manager is a total ****. He got really mad whenever I took my Weller Soldering iron in there to see if they would have a replacement tip. He didn't even look at the tips, he just said 'We don't carry Weller, have a nice day'. I understand that they don't carry Weller irons, but maybe just maybe one of RS's tips would fit the Weller soldering iron. I dunno, maybe the only reason RS built a shack in our town was to piss me off. :\
Old 03-06-2004, 01:10 AM
codedat

I have a weller soldering gun and some of the RS replacements work. Besides your Manager can get mad at you but he can't tell you you cannot shop in the store (As long as don't work there you are not on the clock. Afterall 60% of revenue comes from the employee purchase. You might wanna make friends with another store manager I did. She is cool, she bends over for me and backwards too.

BTW match your wattage of your iron to the RS replacement, it should work fine I use it on other solder irons/guns.

Last edited by codedat; 03-06-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Hippygeek

Quote:
Originally posted by codedat
You might wanna make friends with another store manager I did. She is cool, she bends over for me and backwards too.
WOW.....She is a cool mananger.

LMAO
Old 03-06-2004, 10:53 AM
TinyRC Pro

I gave up on my old weller soldering iron after I got to looking at it... it was in pretty bad shape. I just went the other radio shack and bought their dual wattage iron. I really like it
Old 03-07-2004, 05:55 AM
codedat

That's cool. It comes a time in life when you have to just throw it away.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm not a pyro, really.

Quote:
She is cool, she bends over for me and backwards too.
is she hot?
oh yeah, i cant find a replacement for my dual watt soldering iron. its the 20/40 watt soldering station. my local rs has none. will any others have them or do i have to get them online/special order?

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER
OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE NUMBERS!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to rfnagel Send a message via Yahoo to rfnagel
Quote:
Not sure what problem you are having with the XMods charger. I personaly have the charger and the batteries and they work great. No problems from them at all. OTH everything made by man is not going to last forever. There will be defects in products, all products so the proper thing that should have taken place was a return/exchange.
A million appologies for digging up this old message thread, but I just posted yet another message to another thread (in the ZipZaps subforum) refering to the problems with the XMods battery charger (note that I realize that there prolly won't be any replies within this thread from Codedat as he hasn't been here in quite sometime, I simply was quoting a pertinent post).

Anyhow, thread over in the Zaps section -> http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread....threadid=21770
Old 05-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Jazz32

RS batteries are crap and way too much $$$ anyways. I got a 15 min charger and some great AAA's I found on ebay that run a long time and charge with the 15 minute charger despite not being IC-3's.... A double charge on the charger makes them last way longer too.... And I get these batteries for a little more thatn $1 each.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to rfnagel Send a message via Yahoo to rfnagel
Thanks for the info -

Actually, I've never had any problems with the RS batteries, only their crap XMods battery chargers <G>.

True though, the RS batteries are usually higher priced compared to other comparable batteries, I've previously purchased Panasonic NimH batteries at a much lower cost than the RS ones... and the Pana. batteries are usually higher capacity as well -

Anyhow, my main gripe/complaint is that infernal RS XMods charger... I don't think that I've had more problems with anything else that I've ever bought in my life <BG>!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:54 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Most any rechargable batteries will have problems at one time or another. That's just the nature of the beast. I have had several different brands, so far the duracell 900mah rechargables have proven to be the best performers with the least amount of problems. They have an excellent run time along with outstanding power for a nihm cell. The radio shack batts are prone to problems. After about 10 recharging cycles, they tend to start loosing the capacity to hold the charge longer than 10 or 15 minutes. Unless you plan on going with Lithiu-ion I'd say go with durecell. They have proven to be highly dependable.