TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-15-2005, 12:13 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Unhappy Servo, Steering problem

I have a Nissan Skyline Xmods and it's not even a week old. My problem is that the car turns further to the left than the right, yet it still runs straight. :/

Also, my server makes a twitching noise a lot... sometimes i'll move the car a little and the noice will stop temporarly. This is extremely annoying. Is there a way to fix it? or what causes it? I have also noticed that my "Command Logic" lights are flashing very fast when this noise occurs.

I have followed a guide to center my servo. But this seems to do nothing.

My upgrades include;
AWD
5 Cell Upgrade

I would really like to hear an explanation for this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Xtreem; 05-15-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Obsessive Modder

XMODS naturally turn better to the left than the right. I don't know why or how to fix it, but I've noticed it in every one I've tried (at least 5 of them), regardless of whether they have tight turns or not.
The noise you hear is called "steering jitter". The most comprehensive fix I've found is using a power management board (turbo) that provides smooth, regulated power to the ESC. Outside that, you can try lowering your steering range a bit. Also, when it starts, quickly moving steering left or right generally clears it (seems to be some kind of minor servo overload maybe caused by the servo getting hung up a bit)
Old 05-16-2005, 03:18 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Thanks for your input on that. What you said makes sense... however , i don't know where to buy a turbo... can you get one at www.atomicmods.com?

Another quick question, are the widetrack metal bearings all they are cracked up to be? if so, how many do i need for my car? it has AWD. Will the bearings (wide or reg) keep the tires from wobbling? i notice they have a lot of play.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Xtreem; 05-16-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Obsessive Modder

AtomicMods and WoahNelly both make turbos, although right now, AM's is the only one that puts the regulated power back to the board (and it's MUCH easier to install, as there are less wires, and they connect to the power/motor leads rather than the FET posts). The regulated power allows you to increase the voltage to whatever your motor can handle without overloading the voltage on the rest of the board (steering jitter will get worse when more voltage goes to it)
Wide track bearings DO help considerably in taking the wobble out of wheels. My car can go full throttle with absolutely zero wheel wobble, and the bearings are the primary reason (although GPM steering knuckles help, too). The conventional wisdom is that you need inner and outers up front and just outer wides in the back, although I've run with inner and outer on the back as well; it just depends on how well your particular flavor of lug nuts (absolutely ditch the plastic RS ones and get locking metal lugs...I have 3 different sizes : 4.5mm, 4.3mm, and 4.0, with the 4.0s being the best at holding the wheel...passenger side wheel shafts are a little short) can lock onto the wheel without binding the wheels. Basically, get the lugs as tight as you can without any wheel not moving at lowest throttle.
UPDATE: One thing I forgot to mention -> Not all wide tracks are created equal. The AM bearings are pretty good, although I'm not sure of their rating. vxb.com has a decent selection of wide tracks, though, ranging from rubber sealed to metal and stainless steel balls to ceramic. The best, IMO, are their ceramic metal-shielded ones, rated at 100k RPMs. They have VERY smooth play, even smoother than the regular width TinyRC bearings (I use a combo of VXB ceramic wide tracks...think they're made by Boca Bearings or something like that, and TinyRC regular width for suspension bearings); I haven't found any ceramic reg-widths, though. ANOTHER bearing I have read that supposedly helps are flanged bearings in lieu of wide tracks. The flange supposedly adds the extra width, although I saw it on a TeamMNM web page, but I can't vouch for their reputability; after getting burned by RCButlers, I'm leery of extending beyond my trusted purveyors (AtomicMods, TinyRC/Zero-Products, RobotCombat, dinball)

Last edited by Horshu; 05-16-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:14 PM
TinyRC Newbie

sad to see you are not going to be doing business at my site...

dont worry im nothing like rcbutlers.

Last edited by teammnm; 07-25-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:18 PM
TinyRC Newbie

sad to see you are not going to be doing bussniess at my site...

dont worry im nothing like rcbutlers.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Obsessive Modder

Heh, yeah, I've been venturing out a bit with the folks I've been buying from as I've been tracking down harder-to-find parts. I meant to order either an armature or a motor can from you but caught you while you were offline; I'm probably gonna get a few things from your site pretty soon.
I haven't run into any scenario nearly as bad as RCB, but these days, I also don't make many XMODS purchases over $100, either