TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
BitPimp

small modifications

Hey guys, im working on a mod to fit three batts under the top of my z-car...

Its impossible! I changed my mind, im gonna put two instead.

So i put two batteries upright in the front of the tub, and the pcb over the motor clip. The coil and capacitor fit in the place of the old battery.

This put the pcb in to where the contacts are in the far back of the car, so the steering wires dont reach. I had to super glue some wires to the sides of the tub for extensions (its safer for the thin wires because they dont move)

I had to use a soldering iron to melt some of the plastic to "lower" the pcb for body clearance.

i was thinking WOW!!! this thing kicks! until i accidentally did something to the pcb to make the right and reverse not work, but i had an extra, so i "relocated" a capacitor to make it fit in place of the other board.

And the outcome is more drift capablities!!! it understears becouse the batieries are up front more, but it seems to have a 45/55 weight ratio.

Sorry i dont have any pics yet, because i just finished it right now. But hey if anyone else has a car like this POST YOUR PICS!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:55 PM
BitPimp

ok... i cant have any pics for maybe a week, due to: "i have no camera to use!!!!"

but this car really kicks though!!! it doesnt wheelie because it needs a lot more traction er weight in the rear, and man this thing is hard to control!!! every time i try to turn while on the gas it spins or flips!
i think i got it to at least 8mph... it may be capable of 10-12 if i can control it..

the other thing is, i fried the reverse... so i have an insane car with no reverse that spins a lot...

how is it all of you control your drifters? i need some hints. most of the weight is in the center/rear its like a 45/55 ratio. i cant get better tires cause i dont have money to spend.

do i need more weight in the front or the rear to make it handle better? i read somewhere in the drifter thread that more in the front is better, but really im outta room under the top of this thing, i cant even fit 1 penny under it anywhere! so maybe a cast of some solder would work for weight, but im still curious as to where the weight should go.

i wish i could post some pics, cause this thing is awesome! i havnt seen a setup like this yet, and it was easy!!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:30 AM
Tool User

Send a message via AIM to frizzen Send a message via Yahoo to frizzen
If you're rolling: CG is too high, or your tires are too sticky/you're playing on too high of grip surface.

If you're spinning, like donuts: rear isn't getting enough traction

Make up your mind, are you drifting, or understeering?

For some drift fun, take the tires off your back rims. takes long time to gain speed, but you can slide with ease!

You CAN put 3 batteries in a ZZ though.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:44 AM
BitPimp

now im just confused, my car does donuts when i go right, and when i go left, its a huge sweeping turn. Maybe the weight balance left/ right is off...

It could be the traction. imma have to find some foam slot car tires to put on the rear. Er i dunno maybe i just got a bad car to start with...

SOMEONE HELP!!!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 01:48 AM
BitPimp

Quote:
Make up your mind, are you drifting, or understeering?
im doin both, except for drifting!
im doin donuts!!!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:17 PM
iPod therefore iAm

You do donuts if you turn right, but you do a wide turn if you go left? What if you go straight? Because your problem may be your steering alignment. Try moving straight forward or backward. Is it possible? Or does the car move left/right? If it doesn't go straight, flip your car over. There should be a clear (it could be another color if it's a Bit Char-G or a knock-off, I've only dealt with MicroSizers) stick underneath the steering assembly. Move that a couple clicks to one side. If that makes going straight worse, move it a couple clicks to the other side. Keep doing this until you're car runs straight.

If you're not getting enough traction, you need sticky/soft tires in the rear. But don't want sticky tires in the front (unless you want to do stunts...). Sticky in the front=insane flippage. Medium or hard in the front=allows you to steer without flipping. The harder, the more understeering there is, but the softer, the more flipping there is. It really depends on your motor. I'd say 3.8 and above require hard front tires, anything below requires medium.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:56 PM
BitPimp

hey thanx mat... i flipped the font tires around, dont know why, but it worked.
the back tires are stock, there really hard compound, maybe thats why.
also the front hubs i got off a crapped out clone. the clone hubs seemed to have less play in them than the stock ones, although they do present a bit more tow in. the steering does move more to the right than left, but i dont see that as a problem.

it seems to run straight now, lots o' thanx for frizzen.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:00 PM
BitPimp

i couldnt do that at the time, cause i was almost completely out of room, but now that the center of my chassis is gone (mealted) i have a bit more room, im filling a small space where the single cell went with a 6 in 1 flip flop chip for lights, swapping reverse for the switch... and since i dont have reverse, i took out the h-bridge for a boost in speed and battery life