TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 01-21-2004, 05:54 PM
I really should change my title...

Send a message via AIM to sawhit4
xmod and mini x

whats up dudes. i got a mini x for xmas and an xmod 3 days after xmas. i thought some people would like to know how i felt about each car and if they dont then they can just not read this post. ok ill get started. right out of the box the mini x is crazy fast. and a race between me (with the mini x) and my dad (with the xmod) quickly showed the faster car. Even after putting in the "top speed" motor and AWD upgrades it was still slower. so i took the awd out and went back to rwd. it got a little bit faster, but was still slower than the mini x. so i put it aside for about 2 days and messed around with the mini x. but then i got bored waiting for the mini x to charge and the xmod was just sitting there screaming for attention. So i made it front wheel drive and put in the drift motor. It went alot faster but was hard to control. It still has this setup and will probably stay this way untill i get bored again. But anyway my opinion is the mini x is a sweet car if youve got the dough and will beat a stock x mod out of the water any day but i think one of these highly moded xmod could put up a pretty good fight espically since i cant drive. please post your opinions of what you think about xmod and compare them to other cars for the benefit of those thinking of buying a micro rc.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Got Brains?

mini-x

If I'm right, the mini-x is a cheaper version of the mini-z, except that it's 4wd and doesn't have digital-proportional steering and throttle, right? I think that's why it can run better, because it runs with no ESC, but an MSC instead, so it can handle more voltage and draw from the motor? Let me know if I'm wrong here.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:17 PM

sorry but your wrong it has an esc, it is propo and is more evpensive than the like $120 "old" mini z. by old i mean not the one with the new chassis design. in my opinion it has better electronics than the mini z because its set up like 1/10 scale cars with nothing hard wired and the reciever and esc not in one big package. this makes it so you can replace them with better electronics
Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 PM
itsme

Why would you compare something to an outdated version of another thing?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:20 PM

well my bad its not more expensive than the new one but it does cost more than the old one.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:06 PM
I Shall Return!

Send a message via AIM to xxspeednplayaxx
hmmm how much volts could a mminix handle out of the box, also what kind of parts are available for the minix??? im sensing buying a used one and create a Mini-X-Mod
Old 01-22-2004, 04:24 PM

actually ive noticed that the mini x chassis is a little wider than the x mod but the xmod has a longer wheelbase. but with the bodies on there is little difference. Im not sure how much voltage it can handle. There are very few hop ups availiable for the mini x. its mostly replacement parts that the company makes. Most hop ups are custom. Oh yeah to upgrade the electronics usually airplane electronics is what ive heard are used.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
newbmaster

Send a message via ICQ to cdog4w Send a message via AIM to cdog4w
You guys should drop by the Mini-X forum here at tinyrc. sawhit4 is right in that there are no hopups produced specifically for the mini-x, but there are some really innovative mods being done by some people in the forums. I've got a Mini-X (but no xmod to compare to) and love it. It comes 5 cells stock, xpress (producer) sells 6 cell packs (tiny carries them in his shop) and I've heard of people running up to 8 cells off the stock ESC. Most people say that the electronics are shockingly good for the price.

The big disadvantage to the mini-x is the difficulty in changing out the motor w/o losing 4wd. The reason is that the motor shaft comes out both sides of the motor and runs to the diffs without being transferred to another shaft to run to the diffs. Most people willing to do more serious mods love the car because the starting point is excellent. So if the only mods you want to do are buying the body kit, bearings and a stage2, then the xmod would be aprropriate. Meanwhile if you're willing to crack open your motor, stick in SBP magnets, create a custom motor mount etc., then I think the mini-x is a fantastic car to start with.

For $95 from tiny, you get 4WD, 4 wheel independant suspension, 5 cells, ball bearings, ball bearing diffs front/back (no controller). The body is lexan, so they won't be as pretty as the xmod/mini-z bodies, but they're light and durable.

I hope to get an xmod at some point, so maybe then I can give a less one sided comparison :P

P.S. check out some of the heavily modded mini-x's in the forum, they're pretty impressive.

My rides:
Xray M18, Duratrax Vendetta ST, Kyosho Mini-Z AWD, Losi Micro-T
Old 01-22-2004, 08:58 PM

yeah the car is an incredible find at $95. i have an xmod and if you want to be serious about racing an micro rc its not for you. unless you want to race other xmods. and as if all that wasnt enough it cost about as much as my xmod did once i bought body kit, stage 2 motors, the car, and battery charger, lights, 4wd, and tires. i guess what kinda car you get depends on how far you want to go with rc. but anyway they both have their strong points and are both good cars.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Perfected Bit Modder

yeah..the mini-x is way better than the xmod or mini-z..i like the elctronics also..

here's my custom radio shack r/c car witht he mini-x electronis
this cas here would lap any xmod out there..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-x electronics.jpg (48.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-23-2004, 05:50 AM
Got Cheese?

Quote:
custom radio shack r/c car witht he mini-x electronis
I love it! I did that to a race tin before, made it fully propo, but it didn't have a diff and kept toppling over... the ESC can handle 7.5V comfortably, an some of the ESC's have slots, where you can add extra FET's ....
Old 01-23-2004, 09:38 AM
newbmaster

I read a few thread posts saying that Tiny was going to stock some fets for the mini-x. It seems that he did but doesn't anymore...

My rides:
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Got Cheese?

I think it's just the older ESCs that have the Space for extra FETs, on the Newer version 2.0's they are all used, so i guess that they can handle more power.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:12 PM
newbmaster

I've got a version 2 mini-x ESC that I got from tiny in october '03 and its got 4 fets installed with 2 open spots for a possible total of 6. Not that I need any more power yet, I'm still running the stock 5 cell pack. I think instead of dropping $16+ on the 6 cell pack that rc-xpress makes, I might try my hand at a custom pack. There seem to be a huge number of options beyond the basic AAA cell for a battery pack these days.

My rides:
Old 01-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Got Brains?

ha ha ha ha

It may be fast but it looks like somebody ate a bunch of electronics and a toy car and then crapped it out in brick form!!!