TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 12-15-2003, 10:18 PM
TinyRC Pro

Neuro - I have a few concerns about these motors... the stock winds, the torque, the current draw, the ability to move around in the rear,... how do you address these? (not you personally but in general )

If you think that the stock fets can't handle it, I may have to PM you with a proposition .

sherif
Old 12-16-2003, 02:31 AM
TinyRC Pro

i was wondering some of the same things, especially whether the stock electronics can handle the power usage from one of those motors as well as how to mount it.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:09 AM
I Shall Return!

Send a message via AIM to xxspeednplayaxx
ok... wuts d specs on the motor??? and how hard is it 2 install and of corse whats the $$$
Old 12-16-2003, 08:09 AM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by sherifx
Neuro - I have a few concerns about these motors... the stock winds, the torque, the current draw, the ability to move around in the rear,... how do you address these? (not you personally but in general )

If you think that the stock fets can't handle it, I may have to PM you with a proposition .

sherif
Well, I tested the current draw on the Team Orion stock motor that I am running (mine has been reduced by 10 turns) and it pulls 0.64A, which isn't much more than a stage 2, and is considerably less than the hotter 130 motors are pulling. As for mounting, there are holes in the front of the motor to screw into. Holes could be drilled in the motor mount to securely fasten the motor in the front. The rear is held pretty tightly against the steering servo.

As for power, well, I can do axis spins (AWD donuts) in the kitchen with this setup. I won't know how it compares to NML stage 10 until I run somebody who has one.

Cost of the motor was $13.99 locally. I don't have specs on the motor, especially since I modded it myself. Suffice it to say that by sound, it's a little faster than a stock stage 2, but the torque output is in another league. Even my motor with Draconious's Neo magnets is weak compared to this one. Install was easy, just remove the rear mount. It will only fit in long wheelbase cars, however. (All but the RSX)

I found pinions at www.hobbyetc.com, but I won't know if they actually work until tonight when they arrive, along with the 30000 RPM 180 motor that I also ordered.

Last edited by neurokinetik; 12-16-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:47 PM

I'm contemplating swapping the motor out of my weedwacker into my civic.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:46 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to HPIracer
Quote:
Originally posted by 97PrizmLsi
I'm contemplating swapping the motor out of my weedwacker into my civic.
In a real civic it would be a power increase
Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 PM

LOL, no doubt
Old 12-17-2003, 12:58 AM
TinyRC Pro

hey izanuff, do you listen to 311? the "you can't fade me" in your sig leads me to believe so...just a question.
-Command Logic Lights
-Bayside Blue Paint Job (pics coming)
-Mild Body Kit
-Stock Tires
-4.5 Toe-In
-Soft springs (all around)
Old 12-17-2003, 06:19 AM
0reZepyT

neuro, any luck with the pinion and motor that you bought?
Rachel: No! No Joey! U-N-I-sex.
Joey: Well, I ain't gonna say no to that.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Mad Scientist

Those pinions won't work.

Actually, I should clarify, they could work, but not that well. The pitch is closer than others that I have tried, but it still is not exact. The actual gear size is still different. The 10 tooth I bought is about the same size as a 9 tooth XMods gear, and the 13 tooth is about the same size as the 11 tooth XMods gear.

The other problem is that you have to mount the gear with the set screw farthest from the motor. If the motor shaft is too short (a problem on spin brush motors and the 180 motors) the set screw will barely cath the end of the shaft and the pinion will wobble.

They might work on a standard XMods motor, but due to the size, you won't get the full benefit of the higher ratio.

As for the motor, it hasn't been installed in the car yet. It runs very quietly and smoothly, as it has a balanced armature. I do suspect that it is timed to run in the oppposite direction, though, as it sounds better in reverse. Right now, it does not spin as fast as a stock stage 2, even though it is supposed to be a 30k motor. (That is at 7.2V, however) The Team Orion motor that I tweaked will be faster than this one stock.

Wednesday nights are my nights to test and tune at the roller rink, so I'll have more to report later on tonight or tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Got Brains?

alright!

Yeah, let me know what works, b/c I can't wait to go down to the LHS and get a MRS4 motor and drop in there! Anything that will disrespect the Mini-Zs...heh heh heh.....
Old 12-17-2003, 12:36 PM
0reZepyT

when you do your testing tonite, can you check how well those pinions mesh with the xmod gear that turns teh rear diff? size may be off but maybe there's a chance it'll still mesh well enough to use on a regular basis.
Rachel: No! No Joey! U-N-I-sex.
Joey: Well, I ain't gonna say no to that.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:33 PM
TinyRC PRO Modder

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

So will those Big Round RS4 motor's in an Xmod ? or do i have to get the ones with the same shape as an Xmod motor ?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:42 PM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to HPIracer
Re: ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr BigShot
So will those Big Round RS4 motor's in an Xmod ? or do i have to get the ones with the same shape as an Xmod motor ?
....same shape. Thats pretty much the Stock HPI motor and the Stock Team orion motor and dynamite makes a mod motor that the stock shape.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Mad Scientist

The current choices seem to be the following:

Team Orion Elite stock motor for Micro RS4.

GPM high speed modified motor
GPM high torque modified motor

Dynamite Mini Mod Motor

HPI Micro RS4 stock motor

The GPM high speed is decent, but not as fast as it could be. The Team Orion is pretty slow (in top speed) stock, but take off 10 turns per pole and it becomes pretty formidable (same or better top speed as stage 2 but incredible acceleration). I could probably take off another 5 turns or more and still have more than enough torque. The others I have not tried, but I thought that the Dynamite was listed as a 45 turn motor, while the GPM high speed is a 35 turn motor.

Other than the rare leftover Tamtech motors, I can't find or think of any others.