TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > Manufacturers > RealTracks

Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

How does the track compare in size to RCP's Mini96? In my area, I had room for a Mini96, but because of the Irish Setter, I'm looking for something more pet-friendly. You've mentioned to me before how much more durable this track is than the RCP track, but does it require more room than the Mini?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcro View Post
How does the track compare in size to RCP's Mini96? In my area, I had room for a Mini96, but because of the Irish Setter, I'm looking for something more pet-friendly. You've mentioned to me before how much more durable this track is than the RCP track, but does it require more room than the Mini?
34pack real tracks

mini-96 rcp
Old 10-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Wow, I guess it's bigger! Might have to re-think!
Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 PM

I had a mini 96 track that I had setup in our dining room (the only room without furniture at the time) but I had to eventually take it out because my wife began to worry that it was going to become a permanent thing. I had the track stored in the garage but lost half the track due to a paint spill. I recently dragged the remaining track out and set it up in a vacated office at my plant. It's only a wide oval about 8 feet long, which isn’t very challenging for the Dnanos but also way too wide. The current tracks available from RCP do not take advantage of the new Dnano format. They need to have narrower tracks and smaller footprints. I have come to the conclusion that the RCP track will not fit my needs.

What I need is a track that can be assembled and disassembled without a lot of effort. I don’t need a very wide track if fact being narrow offers some advantages. 1) I can make a more intriguing configuration in a smaller area 2) if the footprint is small enough I can leave it up longer. At my house, I’m the only one with this interest so the narrow track actually is good because I have to be more controlled in driving.

The tracks that Real Tracks fit my needs better but not the new flat tracks but the 14 ½” track with rails. My only problem is that it seems to be "Out of Stock" on the RealTracks web site. I've tried emailing them but no answer so far. I'm concerned that they might be thinking of discontinuing this track. My suggestion is they should market this as a single user track and package it with their laser beam counter. Meanwhile, could I get an idea when this track will be in stock? I also haven’t heard anything more concerning the laser beam counter.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

whats comfortable is very subjective. i for example would never buy a 14" track for the dnano. the speeds are too fast for such a narrow track making it feel like a luge event. the narrow tracks are more scale looking and i'm sure better suited to single drivers but that just doesn't fit my needs. i don't care so much for scale looks vs. functionality and i have 2 kids to contend with whom would just be riding the rails of a narrow track.

i'll email them as well to see if they can't still get what you want. i do like the side rails on realtracks as well and wish the larger tiles had them as an option.

you will have to follow the realtracks vendor forum for info on the single user lap timer.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Hi Alan
I must have missed your last email, I know we had a few of them going back and fourth and I get a lot to the RealTracks account. We will probably not continue the 14 1/2" formed guardrail track. Since the release of Flat Track the demand has almost completely dropped off for the 14 1/2”. I completed the CNC fixtures for the 16" Flat Track straight sections removable guardrails a few days ago. I will post pics of both options this afternoon as soon as I run some. 16" wide track is a challenge and fun for a single user. I have space for both and find myself always going to the 16" with the dNaNo. It is also very quick to put up and take down because the size enables it to be handled very easily. I have a thread going on the timing system. I have given up on time tables as something always seems to come up and push the RC products that don't pay the bills to end of the priority list. I did get a whole week to devote to it last week and we made some excellent progress on the software. A nice bonus of FlatTrack is you can walk over the whole thing without worrying about stepping on the guardrails. The family does not mind it that way as much if it is set up in a common area. Then all you have to do is drop in a few dividers in the runoff area if you want and you are racing.

Thanks for the questions
Old 10-20-2009, 12:08 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

i might even have video of my kids driving their big wheels all around over the track. they rode big wheels, small bicycles, etc. over it.

the ONLY effect it had was to telegraph edges of the bottom attachment points through to the surface of the track which in no way affected cars. you don't even notice it unless you look at it at the right angle and light reflects off the surface just right.

my kids also spilled soda, water, chocolate milk on occasion which all cleaned up with a wet rag.

the surface is plastic however meaning any scratches are permanent. you can not drag sharp object across it. i know that goes without saying but i feel it needs to be said none the less.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Arch,
Yea I get that the kids find all sorts of games to play and uses for the track when Dads at work. One customer in Europe came home and found his kids having "organized mini trike races on his track" I assume its a small big wheel of some sort. Since your track is on a hard surface, I could see where a hard small diameter wheel with the weight of child could stress mark the track where it meets the edge connector. But by all means, let them play.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM
TinyRC & Mini-zRacer Fan

that is exactly what happened. my track is over ceramic tile and they rode tricycles, bigwheels, etc over it. that kind of high point load over a hard surface create the environment where the outlines can telegraph to the surface. it in no way affected the tracks use however, just want to be clear about that.

my kids had tricycle races on the track too. i think a skateboard may have been involved at some point as well. it's in the kids play area so i can't blame them really. having had previous discussion with you however, i felt confident that no hard would be done.

as mentioned, do not drag heavy or sharp objects over it though.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 PM

Hey Realtracks

Is the track in this Youtube clip your 16" Flat Track?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDVUqyGsq-Y
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfujii View Post
Hey Realtracks

Is the track in this Youtube clip your 16" Flat Track?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDVUqyGsq-Y
Yes it is, and that’s also my basket of dirty clothes. You can also see a basic version of the timing system. That screen is specifically for taking YouTube videos. I have changed it so the times are more visible and the bottoms are not washed out on videos anymore. I threw that up to email to a customer when we were talking about traction. Those are stock dNaNo clean tires 50f/ 10r. It also has 2 of the flat style removable guardrails. My driving is not the smoothest, but it gives you a reference for vehicle handling on a tight track.

Thanks for asking the questions here, This is a better format to ask them in rather than emails.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Hey Realtracks
You mentioned finishing up CNC fixtures for removable rails on the 16" flattrack. Does that mean that the current flattracks will not support these new rails or will these removable rails be retro-fitable?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Alan,
The guardrails are compatible all Flat Track. The guardrail lugs on Flat Track edge connectors were designed from the start to accept a variety of guardrail options, We are just getting around to manufacturing them. The tooling I referred to was for the guardrails themselves. I ran a batch of one of the options today and I will post a few pics tonight.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 PM
jeanlee411

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Assembly

i wanted to talk about this quickly. watch the short videos on the realtracks website. it's not rocket science, but once you see how it works you can get it done very quickly and without hassle. my entire track was setup very quickly.

again, watch the video's, taking the track apart is a breeze once you see it done and do it yourself.

it also stacks away in a VERY small area. it naturally weights more than a stack of RCP tiles but less space.
Hi Arch2b. Your review was very interesting since I have been looking at Realtracks. I was into Mini-Z's about 4 years ago and I had a fairly large RCP track (12 x 18) setup in my empty dining room until my wife decided to fill it. That eventually ended my involvement since the commercial tracks were too far away. That's why I find these Dnanos attractive. The RealTrack looks like a great solution because I can assemble and disassembly it quickly. You review of the 24" flattrack left me wondering whether I could deal with a track that had no rails. The smaller 14" track has rails but do you think it would be too small for the Dnanos? I understand that they are working on providing rails for the flattrack but in my mind that defeats the quick assembly/disassembly. I would probably have no more than 3 cars going at any one time with by far the majority being just myself.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM

jeanlee411, you can easily add/remove rails to the RealTracks flat track. You simply tape the rails onto the bottom of the track pieces using packing tape. Tape can be placed every 6-10 inches and won't be moved by cars hitting them however remain easy to remove on the tape is pealed up. Keep in mind that you wouldn't want rails all the way around the track, just put them where cars/drivers could shortcut the circuit.

As far as choices, both work for dNaNo really well. We've currently installed the 24" track system at our shop and love it. 3 cars could fit onto the 16" track but maybe tight. I'd recommend the 24". It leaves lots of room for different racing lines /passing and lastly more cars to race once you get the word out that you have a setup to race on.

Bottom line, we recommend RealTracks for dNaNo.

We'll be posting a detailed review of our own with pics and videos soon. You can check out our site and see a quick pic of our setup. Keep in mind we're still renovating but should be done soon. Surface testing has been completed. Needless to say, RealTracks has peformed awesome. We took a few cars out of their box last weekend and put them directly on the track after charging their batteries. The cars pushed and once the front tires were changed to Kyosho 40 degree. The cars handled awesome. All the mini-Z guys who were at the track tried the cars and loved them. Then think once you start to upgrade with all the options (if that is your thing), you laptimes/performance should get better.