TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
TinyRC Pro

mini x problems

I just got my minix from tiny rc, and it dosn't work. I I hook it up and plug the crystel into my tx, and all it does is glitch. I can get it to work only if I have the tx within a cretin range of the rx(about 6") no closer, no further. i tried chargeing the batts, and changeing the crystels, I tried everything i can think of, and nothing works, i wouild rather not send it back, as i have already made alot of mods, (i know, i should of had it working first) so my question is this, has anyone else had this problem, and what should i do?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:15 AM
im a micro daddy...

Send a message via Yahoo to fastboy
for some reason the mini x electronics are VERY fussy about what transmitters they will work with,i tried about 3 transmitters,only futaba would work reasonably well with mine so i junked it and put a 40mhz in.

dave
Old 10-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Got Cheese?

what Tx are you using?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:23 AM
TinyRC Pro

I have tried 2 traxxis tx's one new one old model, neither work, i really don't have another tx to try, I don't want to buy another one. I will see if i can get ahold on one.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Got Cheese?

that's odd, any 27 AM 2 channel radio should work . I do know that the ends points are different, ie if you pull the trigger fully back the ESC will cut out, this is usually fixed with a spacer behind the trigger..

Last edited by Cian; 10-07-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Tbird Man, do you have a friend's Tx you can try? What model is the Traxxas? I'll have to try my T-Maxx's Tx - as fastboy points out, the X's Rx is a little fussy, so you may want to experiment. This Tx will definitely work:

http://tinyrc.com/shop/product.php?pid=502

And it's a very good deal. Worst case I may have a used one from my personal collection that I can give you for a few bucks less.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:38 PM
TinyRC Newbie

mini-x / mini-q problems

i think i know what the problems is......

the glitching probably is caused by lack of power.

try using 5 or 6 cell 1.2v batteries. from my observation ( that is after buying a couple of $10 tx... airtronics, hitec, perfex) i came to the conclusion that the receiver was suppose to operate properly on 6 volts and not 4.8 volts.

and also try using 27 mhz am and not 29 mhz am crystals.

warning! you might get trigger happy when you see your mini-x hurling across your room. my pinion (front / rear) gears came loose. i don't know if its the heat from the motor or the torque of the motor which made it came loose.

now i'm trying to find out what glue should i use to bind the pinion gears to the shaft.

suggestions anyone?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:28 PM
TinyRC Pro

Tbird Man,

As sin mentioned if you are running the car on 4 cells that could very well be what the problem is. Before I started running 6 cells I noticed that my car would run only for a couple of minutes before it would start glitching and eventually die. Once I went to 7.2 volts all of the glitching went away and the car now runs out a full battery pack without any problems.

However, it could also be the transmitter. I have one older Futaba transmitter that my car will not work with (I never have figured out why). Mini-z transmitters work and are cheap but they do suffer from the throttle problem mentioned by Cian.

sin,

Check your pinion gear very closely to make sure it's not cracked. The front pinion usually splits if you crash the car at full speed.

If it's not cracked a small drop of super glue on the end of the pinion gear should hold it in place yet still allow you to pop it off when you need to change it.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:42 AM
TinyRC Pro

well I am running a fully charged 5 cell, so thats not it. could be the tx, I will try takeing it to my LHS and see if I can test it with one of theres. If it turns out to be my rx, what would i have to do? send the whole car in? or could I just send in the Rx. I just bought it and it never worked. also I have to say I was a bit dissappointed with how it was packged to be shipped. the package was somewhat bunched up in a ~8"x8"x8" box. the "body" part of the package had seperated from the cardboard backing, and the rear body posts had pulled out. I wold rather not send the whole car back because of the fixes i made to the frond drive system to solve the binding in the dogbones under suspension load and turning, if i get it working i will detail the fixes.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:51 AM
TinyRC Newbie

esc problem?

after numerous experiments with 3 transmitters($40) the way i did my calibration is:

1. press the button 'til the green and red lits up.
2. after both lights turned off pull the trigger.
3. when the red light lits up push the trigger all the way(full reverse) - this is the trick part.
4. when the red light turns off just let the trigger stay there at full reverse.
5. when the green light turns on put the trigger on its neutral position.

hope this helps.

i think this works only for the mini-x version 1 electronics.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:01 AM
TinyRC Newbie

7.2 volts

btw... i ran mine with 7.2 volts.... never got the chance to run it on 6 volts.

besides it wouldn' feel right if my mini-x will be heavy on one side.

but if it still gives you problems probably a new receiver will help like a novak xxl or novak ner-2x.....

i even thought that it might be shift problem on the frequency but that's only true for fm.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:46 PM
TinyRC Pro

well I would Calibrate my ESC if it would stop glitching, I have NO control, it goes full lock on the steering servo, and the green LED flashes on and off rapidly. If I do upgrade the Rx, will the stock ESC work? It seems like there would be hookup issues.well, I look foward to your advice.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 AM
TinyRC Newbie

receiver

so far i have tested jr receivers and hpi rx-1 receivers....with the stock esc..... they're a bit big for the minix but at least i got to enjoy it for awhile.

just take note of the polarity of the receivers..... refer to the manual. i bought most of my plugs at servocity.....free shipping.

almost all receivers accept the same type of plug. although with the futaba's, i had to shave some plastic.

if you don't want to spend so much time as i have to do the experiments...... my advice to you is buy a set of tx and small rx....
at least you'll enjoy your car and move on with other important stuffs like motors, tires, bodies and other mods.

why don't you detach the steering servo when you do the calibration and put the throttle trim on neutral. i do hope when you calibrate your esc you press the reset button til both lights are on. the glitching stops when you do this.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:31 AM
TinyRC Pro

actually no, the glitching does not stop, beacuse while it is glitching it will not calibrate, I tried holding the button for about 15 sec, way longer than should be nessary. It simply will not respond to ANYTHING. as I said before, If I have the Tx and the Rx in just the right place, and I am holding the tx just right, And the planets are in just the right alignment, and so on, I can get it to respond, and even claibrate the ESC, but It solves nothing. I have never seen a problem like this before. I am begining to suspect I may have gotten a bad Rx or something. Btw, the Tx's I have are a standard traxxis TQ and an older traxxis model 2020.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:14 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Tbird Man--u there still

its been a while since u post this, but ill try anyway

I have exactly the same trouble with my X, just wondered what you did to resolve the issue?

cheers