TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 PM

Getting organized

Alright kids, I'll start it off 'cause I realized I went a little kooky and then looked back and had to share So managing tiny parts in the land of dNano is at a premium and I love to organize my other race cars and parts well for the track. Except I had to rethink my strategy a little.

This pictured box is FAR from my whole collection but it is my working toolbox if you will. My buddy picked me up the main box in China and said he has another (or 2) waiting for me. Quarterpounder, this is also for you because you were asking about "protection boxes". These ones are way cool because you can also fit two dNanos snug below with a little piece of foam or cardboard between them to really protect.

The thing I wanted to illustrate was my parts and tire organization. I found these nice little pill boxes at Walgreens for $1.25 (pic 1) and block sanded the tops on the bench real quick (pic 2). Then I took my trusty Brother P-Touch labeler and some scissors and went to town (pic 3&4).

To give an idea of scale of the compartments, each one would hold roughly 2 pairs or a set of tires and H-plates fit exactly perfect in them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box_new.jpg (79.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg box_clean.jpg (56.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg box_labeled.jpg (65.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg box_open.jpg (70.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:24 PM

Two more pics to show it all together...

The top tray in place (w/AA alkalines for emergencies), and the bottom tray showing how nicely it is all coming together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top_tray.jpg (156.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg bottom_tray.jpg (114.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-03-2009, 07:03 AM

that is cool how everything is arranged neatly, thanks for the idea. With the tiny parts you can really only use pill boxes.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 AM

Very nice! I'll have to check out local stores for something like this. Even though I don't yet race my cars, still be nice to have all those parts organized.
I've often thought about getting the official Dnano parts bin organizer, but these look much more affordable.
Your labeling look's very professional!
Do you have the same set up for Z's?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcro View Post
Very nice! I'll have to check out local stores for something like this. Even though I don't yet race my cars, still be nice to have all those parts organized.
I've often thought about getting the official Dnano parts bin organizer, but these look much more affordable.
Your labeling look's very professional!
Do you have the same set up for Z's?
Thanks, and it is all pretty cheap and easy to do. I don't have nice organization for the Z's but I should. I have so much Z stuff I am lucky if I can get it all into the same location.LOL With the dNano I realized really quick there was no way I was gonna keep track of the tiny parts so I had to do something quick.

I am posting pics of how cars fit in these boxes too. It is really cool how compact and protected it is. The Porsche 962c is longest and doesn't quite sit flat but it still fits very well. So Quarterpounder... here is your better solution for "protection boxes".

FYI, The Brother P-Touch I got for like $36 and it is totally awesome and the refills only cost like $14ea. They also have different refill colors if you want to get color crazy. I am going to include another pic to show how I use it on Z stuff. It's hard to read from pic but it says "20.0 +1" for 20mm diameter and +1 offset. The refills when making tiny labels on 2 lines last a VERY long time!

They are actually pretty easy to put on straight if you use good technique. Just peel off backing and put label on side of x-acto blade. That way you can line up easy and use your free fingers to stabilize on solid objects like the item you are labeling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cars_top.jpg (107.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cars_side.jpg (52.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg p-touch.jpg (121.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PN_wheel.jpg (32.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by fraz; 10-03-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Your Dnano's look uncomfortable in there! Need to get a slightly larger bin with some foam in place. At least that's how I'd do it. I still hope Atomic will make those protection boxes I mentioned earlier. I really liked the Mini-Z ones.
However, you've given me some great ideas fraz, thank you once again!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcro View Post
Your Dnano's look uncomfortable in there!
It's really quite perfect for the shorter cars like the McLaren and Murci and with 3 cars in there they can't move so everything is safe. While the long Porsche is a little snug, it still fits creat with no pressue or stress on the body or suspension.