TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 05-22-2003, 07:19 PM

MOSFET mod for BCGs

Here is a look at the way to change the high resistance transistors in your BGC to low resistancs high current MOSFETs.
This mod boosts the current going to the motor and turns a standard BCG or MS into a rocket.
Once modded it will pop wheelies after rolling in reverse, and screams accross carpet like its on floorboards.
It now loves high revving motors, the higher the better, and can still pull wheelies with a 3.8 motor and the highest gear set.
Power is improved massively and because its not carrying the weight of an extra cell it takes corners at full speed without flipping or spinning out, its like a different beast altogether.
A 1.2V FET modded car with a 3.8 and high gears will leave any dual cell for dead, both off the line and especially around turns.
The beauty of this mod is that YOU CAN CHARGE THIS HIGH PERFORMANCE BEAST ON AN ORDINARY CONTROLLER CHARGER !!
Here's how it all looks

2 of the MOSFETS are mounted underneith the circuit board

The other 2 are on the top in the same places as 2 of the removed transistors, then both pairs are wired together to form a new H-bridge that drives the motor. Thats them at the bottom near the V+ and F terminals.

Once its finished there is no external differences and you can charge on a standard charger

Here is the original thread on Ausmicro.
MOSFET mod link

What you think?
uA

Last edited by micro_Amps; 05-25-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:26 PM
BillyP

Arrow micro_Amps lives @ AUSMICRO.com

Way to link! Great job on that car!
Old 05-24-2003, 07:13 AM

FET mods for your BCG car

Just wondering guys (and gals),
What would you say if I was to offer to do a MOSFET mod for people.....
you send me your bare chassis, I do the FET mod to it, and send it straight back to you in the same packaging,
would any of you be interested ???
Its a tricky mod requiring precise and steady soldering but worth the effort in sizeable power gain and speed gain too if you are using high speed motors.
Say for US$20 including return postage. (I am assuming US$5 for return postage, so the mod is done for US$15 incl. the MOSFETs)

What do you think, is it worth it ?
(If you are not sure what I'm talking about, scroll up to the first post above, and checkout the link.

uA
Old 05-24-2003, 10:52 AM
BillyP

No thanks.

$20 is going to get me 20 MOSFETS, shipped, from Digikey. Good for FIVE cars!

(And my dad can do all the soldering for me for free!)
Old 05-24-2003, 12:41 PM

Thats great BillyP.
My question is really directed at those who dont have the knowledge of electronics, or the experience to be able to put this mod together, but would still like to have a FET modded car.
I'm not in it to try and make heaps, just cover my costs and provide access to a different mod that can make these cars even more fun, thats all.
If your dad can put this together, thats great, sit him down and get him into it, because you are going to enjoy the result.
All the best with it.
uA
Old 05-24-2003, 06:41 PM
Bit Surgeon

I'm interested...

I guess you mean $20AU? That's supposedly $13.15USD according to this page. That's really a good price, considering I'd hate to screw up my booster chassis with the tiny soldering. I know you've got the skillz b/c I've seen your other work. I've never shipped stuff to AU before, but I'd be willing to find out how for such a sweet mod. How would we pay you? PM me please; I'm in.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:58 PM
BillyP

Quote:
Say for US$20
Yeah, I would send you my cars if I didn't have all the stuff I need to solder. It's not easy, so I would recommend everybody to send you their cars. It's the best thing you can do for your car (imho).
Old 05-24-2003, 07:03 PM

Hey actofgod,
in an earlier post I did say US$20 for the mod inc return post. I put this price because of the extra postage etc, sorry if that wasnt clear enough.
Payment could be done with a US$20 note in the package with the chassis, or you could pay me into my paypal account, they would be my two preferred options. I can easily get the cash transferred to AU$ here.
Work would be of a high and reliable standard, I have been a technician for a long time.
All modded cars would be tested before return to their owner. I have all the different controllers, (6 freqs. and 4B) so testing is not a problem. I prefer at this stage to stay with genuine Tomy chassis, BitChargs and Microsizers.
Standard airmail should do to get it here. You send it to me in a padded bag, I mod it, test it, and put it in the same bag and send it straight back to you, minus the 20.

It sure is worth the effort.

All the best.
uA

Last edited by micro_Amps; 05-25-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Bit Surgeon

$20USD is still a pretty good deal IMO. I was mixing up my forums.. this one says PM's are disabled, but you can e-mail me. Go to "user cp" at top, then "edit buddy list". Add my username, and then I'll appear in your buddy list in your usercp. Click my name, then choose "e-mail actofgod". Sorry about the hassle, but I get enough spam as it is Send me your shipping and paypal addresses, and I'll send you my 350z.
Old 05-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Told ya.

Send a message via AIM to sessiz10
I'm interested. I'll be sending you an email soon.

Meh.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:56 PM

BGC FET mod

Ok, I have fresh stocks of the MOSFETS I use for this mod and I am currently doing the mod for people that want to lift their BCG or MS to the next level. US$20 per chassis is what I charge, including return postage.

If you want me to do this FET mod for you, email or PM me and we can organise things. (Email is: bitstuff@dodo.com.au) I will need your bare chassis. It will be modded, tested, and returned to you, along with confirmation emails on receipt and departure.
Payment can be via cash or Paypal, as stated in an earlier post.

actofgod, you have an email.
sezzis10, lets get things happening.

You should see what it does to a dual cell. Hehehe its good stuff.

uA

Last edited by micro_Amps; 05-25-2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:25 AM
TinyRC Newbie

Can someone plz tell me where to get the mosfets?
I kind of want to try the mod myself
Old 05-26-2003, 06:39 AM

Yeh I got them from Conrad electronics in Germany
uA
Old 05-26-2003, 05:02 PM
TinyRC Newbie

you got a link?
Anywhere in Canada/U.S.?
Old 05-26-2003, 05:50 PM

what kinda speed increasment are we talking about here?