TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-27-2003, 08:36 AM
so I re-wired it

Insane fast

Well, I can't run my xmods indoors anymore.
I finally got all my electronics stuff back, and started swapping motors.
torque tuned tamiya mini 4wd in a skyline w/ 4wd and the stock diff in the back. It pulls so hard that it goes sideways before the tires hook up (on a wood floor) I put it with the white gear and the 8 tooth pinion. Once it does grab, it's off like a shot. I'd try it with the 9 tooth and red gear but ....
Plasma Dash 2 tamiya mini 4wd in RSX- ball diff in 2wd. Takes about 1/2 a second and it's blasting across the room- a twitch of the steering and it slides around like mad. Using the 9 tooth and red gear. It will almost spin around on one tire.
The heat sink on the bottom of the chassis does get hot.
Both cars have bearings.
I haven't tried any other motors because these are too fun as is.
I have to say- get a pinion puller and an engine press from a hobby shop that deals with the 1/24 th scale slot cars- Makes life easy.
I'm going to go to the indoor R/C track to see what they do with some traction.

Famous last words:
Hold my beer and watch this
Old 10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
TinyRC Pro

Woah thats awesome. I ordered a PN Racing Speedy Modified engine last week, hopefully it gets here soon.

So what kind of battery life do your cars get? Where can I purchase a pinion puller from, and the engine press would be used to install the pinion gear on a new motor?

You want to get us some videos?
Old 10-27-2003, 10:43 AM
so I re-wired it

Wow, those can be kind of expensive- glad I borrowed them.
parts
The puller is $15-$30 and the press is $25 to $40 depending where you get them.

Search around, and you will be able to find them. The press is to get the gear on, and it does a beautiful job.

I'd love to get you a video, but I don't have a camera to do it. I can get a coupple of the digital pics tonight. but no action shots..

Oh well.
Battery life is pretty good, I haven't ran them out yet, so it's over 15 min. of slamming into the walls and furniture in a 20x15 living room.

Famous last words:
Hold my beer and watch this

Last edited by mbartell; 10-27-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Mad Scientist

I picked up my puller locally for $8.99. It works OK, but the pulling plate is getting bent after two pulls. It's barely thin enough to work with, as well.

To get the pinion on the new motor, I just use a hammer and a vise. A "C" clamp would make a good inexpensive substitute for the one that was pictured in that link.

One issue I found was that the pinions on these motors are pressed very close to the motor can. That makes it hard to get them off, and since you need to get them on further than flush with the end of the shaft, you need something to help push them on that extra 1/16th of an inch. I use a spare pinion that was designed for the MiniZ (not press fit, so it slides on and off the motor shaft easily)

Last edited by neurokinetik; 10-27-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:07 PM
TinyRC Newbie

Send a message via AIM to STFU Tuning
I bought the torque tuned and the dash 2 tonight, but the damn hobby store didn't have a pinion puller. DAMN!!! I was so excited too.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 PM

Does someone have a quick link to these motors online? I'm too lazy to look right now.