TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > Tracks

Old 01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Subaru WRX Rally X Driver

Talking My Finished Fully Modular Track!!

Well, after 1 week of hard work, I finally finished my fully modular vinyl tile track.

I was inspired by everyone many people who made tracks. I appreciate everybody for answering my question(despite have ing alot). I really liked the tracks that people made, but I really liked modular tracks because you can make many different track combinations. So about 2 weeks ago, I started the planning process.

My Materials were as follows:

45 Armstong Commercial Viny Tiles ($.82each) $36.80
2 2*8 polystyrene blue "foam boards" $16.90
1 Lepage 1L contact cement $16.57
Total $72 with tax Canadian ($45 US)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (42.3 KB, 1034 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:28 AM

I started by penciling the different pieces onto the polystyrene. Then I would cut it with an exacto knife, using a laminate board(left over from my kitchen counter) to guide the cuts. Unfortunately, the polystyrene has to be cut with the exacto knife fully through it. Meaning, you can’t cut it on a board, you have to cut it leaning over an edge. This was note much a problem though.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:28 AM

After I had cut all of my pieces, I laid out all of the tiles and the corresponding piece that would be placed on.

I used LePage Contact cement and was EXTREMELY pleased with it. What I did was paint a certain piece with the adhesive. Then I would imprint the tile by placing the “painted” piece on it and then removing it. I would paint the tile fully, with a thin coat of the adhesive, and repaint the piece, since some of the cement was lost due to the imprint.

You have to wait an hour for the adhesive to air dry. Then I had to carefully place the piece onto the tile. Instantly, they bond. It is VERY strong, and I highly doubt it will come off without some effort. So you have to be very careful when this happens. It allows for a very tight fit though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (20.6 KB, 1007 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:29 AM
D'oh!

Send a message via AIM to FullyBaked Send a message via Yahoo to FullyBaked
Can't wait to see pix, your a good track maker...

-Bob

-Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 10:29 AM

Next, all I had to do, was trim the extra foam and the side. And I was finished with a fully modular track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (23.4 KB, 988 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 AM

If anybody is wondering, this is the amount of tiles I made:

16 cures
16 straight
6 three ways
1 diagonal
2 narrow
2 blank
2 blank, with islands
45 total tiles

Also my track is 10.5 inches wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (24.5 KB, 986 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:30 AM

Finally, I get to have some fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (10.4 KB, 975 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:31 AM

Actually, I have the blue polystyrene. The cars seems to get stuck on it.

I was getting really frustrated with spending all of this time on a track. However, I have finally solved my dillema!!!

My cars would always get stuck on the barriers. This is because the cars have corners, which ever so slightly, "dig" into the polystyrene, despite the polystyrene being so hard. I was so mad at spending all of this time and effort. However, I am now rejoicing!

I decided that I needed to make the front of the car "smoother" I didn't want to file it down, since that would be such a waste to beautiful cars. So I took a little bit of polystrene and cut it into a semi round shape. I then took this smooth tape stuff, and attached it to the front of the car. Now the front of the car, is smooth.

More problems occered with the barriers, since the car would get stuck, since the barriers are rough. I found some electrical tape and put some on. VIOLA!!! Problem solved. Now, the car may hit the barrier at 0 - 40 degree agles, and just slide and keep on going! My car only stops about once or twice when I run into a wall dead on.(I love harpins)

Here is a pic of my CONCEPT car. I will make the design more sleek, and add some logos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conceptcar01.jpg (12.2 KB, 959 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:32 AM

I did this in about 1 minutes, so it looks bad, but it is pretty sweet. There is about 1mm of clearance and it works perfectly! I can't wait to mod it.( I'm thinking of having some kind of clamp, or clip I could put on the car, maybe underneath it.

Another pic.

I really think this idea could help people with their tracks, where they stop dead in their tracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conceptcar02.jpg (10.6 KB, 953 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:33 AM
D'oh!

THAT IS THE BEST IDEA I HAVE EVER SEEN, OMFG, WHERE DID YOU GET ALL OF IT, PLEASE TELL!!!

-Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 10:35 AM
D'oh!

Oh, and hey, do you have any problems with the track moving when you crash into a wall, as in the tiles becoming off-set?

-Bob

-Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 10:39 AM

Here is a pic of my latest track. It is so fun. There is a big hairpin, to several little harpins, and then 2 straight aways, and a small, s type corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (20.5 KB, 945 views)
Old 01-29-2003, 10:43 AM
D'oh!

Come on, Give me the Details, I'm so eager, I wanna start makin' a track just like that one, TODAY!

-Bob

-Bob
Old 01-29-2003, 10:45 AM

actually, there is no problem with the tiles becomming offset. Sometimes if you hit the same wall dead-on, full speed with a 2.6, yes, it will move about .01mm. However, the track pic above, I have played an hour on, with no adjustment. There is a little bit of a crack, since I hit a wall every time, but the cars, don't seem to mind at all.

As for the materials, you can get the vinyl tiles at HomeDepot(or Revy in Canada). The tiles do not have the sticky back. They are hard.

I also got the blue polystyrene at Revy as well as the Lepage contact cement. I'm sure you can find them at hope depot. Also for the contact cement, I had about 45 tiles that needed it, but I used maybe, 200mL, so it is possible to get the small size.(unless your crazy and put a super coat on. but it is not thick).

Also, I shoud add electrical tape to the list, since if you have that and my car "front bumper", the cars won't get stuck on the rails, since the polystyrene is a little bit soft.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:48 AM
D'oh!

That is friggin' AWESOME!!! I'm Just so AMAZED at it, I can't get over it... Can you store it easily? I'm guessing yes, because they are all single tiles that you can move around. Jeez, I am soooo jealous, What did you use to cut out the barriers? And did you use a template or anything? Or was it just you and your pure genius...

-Bob

-Bob