TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/24 and Smaller > XMODS > XMODS

Old 02-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Obsessive Modder

They just said that they are "looking into lap counters now." I'm going to wait another month or two on finding an inexpensive RF one (I'd prefer one that takes the regular 27MHz crystals just like the cars) before working on building one. I've got an electromagnetic induction-based "ping" transponder idea I want to get working, but it's been ages since I've built any circuits, so I've got some work to do on theory.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Obsessive Modder

Found out from Lakeshore that they're announcing a new double-wide track tomorrow. I figure the double-wide track with the sticky surface would be pretty nice, although I already ordered the RCP track. I'm still trying to arrange a return on the Lakeshore track, but I haven't gotten a definition of what they consider "used" to be.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:18 AM
I really should change my title...

I own the rcp or radio shack track (rcp makes the radio shack track). I don't own a lakeshore track so I have limited information to help with that. I have the rcp wide L. The track is fun but it is limited by the space I have to change my layout. It's fast and relatively easy for first timers to race on. Rcp doesn't offer banks, bridges, jumps, pinch sections, lights, etc... If you want a more realistic layout that would look cool but may be more difficult to race on than the original width lakeshore track may work. The rcp track is slightly more difficult to set up- you have to assemble the rails to the track. The lakeshore track original has 22 inch lanes and the rcp track has 30 inch lanes. That is a pretty big difference. Lakeshore rails are lower too. Hope that helps Triple xMod.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Obsessive Modder

For the tracks, you're best off running with an 8 or 9 tooth pinion gear to maximize torque. I have room to set it up for a 14x12 figure 8,with 2 straightaways long enough for building up speed. On the RCP feature part, even though it lacks built-in banks and bridges, you *can* build them by using either pillows, boxes, or even DVDs on their edges. It isn't as sturdy as the Lakeshore track in this regards, but since I *did* finally order the RCP track (2 wide Ls, to be exact), I'm building some supports for various features (definitely want to keep banked turns and the bridge, although I've got to double the height of the bridge, as it snapped off my bro's Kyosho Enzo antenna and got my car (Dean's whip antenna) completely stuck). So really, as long as you are willing to cut some supports (and they only have to be rigid), you can build your own stunt areas.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Obsessive Modder

So I got my tracks today (free shipping, and the thing still got to me in less than 24 hours from the time RS called me to confirm the shipment). WOW! Much, much wider (closer to 40 inches than 30, from appearances, though). I like the borders a lot. The only thing about that caught me off guard was that I assumed the edges would be jigsaw'ed, too, so that each tile is a lane extender. They are smooth, so you are stuck with 40 inches, unless you buy lane extender pieces. I don't foresee needing any extenders unless I'm running 6 or more, but I'm curious where one buys them, as the only online retailers I know of are RS and minizracer.com. Anyone know if RCP track pieces are relatively common in RC shops?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:37 PM
TinyRC Pro

I did my homework on premade tracks, before I ultimately went with RCP. I just couldn't see spending so much money on the other tracks that are nothing more than a homestore mat with cut and glued rails at a highly marked up price. I wanted something more professional and unique. The RCP rails are very tall and wide and I like having the option of removing them to store and to use the opposite side surface. Most of the mini-z organized races that I noticed in the last few months were using RCP and the expert drivers seem to have only positive things to say about it. How could you go wrong with such a highly praised product by expert drivers throughout the forums and better yet I paid less for my RCP tracks than all the other mat tracks out there. Better product for less, that doesn't come too often in RC.
I bought my two Wide L's from www.mini-zracer.com, but I bought a kit to make the lane wider from my lhs. I think most hobby stores can order any RCP products. I had a little trouble at first, but contacted the company RCP Tracks and they help me by giving me the hobby store part numbers for the extra pieces and then it was very easy. I would contact them direct if you need help. The guy I dealt with (Brian) was very helpful. I also asked Brian about lap timing systems and he gave me a link to a great system that will be available soon, I think at mini-zracer. The website for the manufacturer is www.corespeedway.com. Some of the members at mini-zracer have been testing the system as well as I belive RCP has too.

Last edited by jbear; 03-03-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Obsessive Modder

Just crossing my fingers that it won't be too expensive. The downside to every one of these RF systems is that they are so damn expensive. All I'm interested in is using RF to count high #s of laps, but they all want to interface with PCs, jacking up the $$$. Hell, I was gonna try to build one out of a Hall effect switch that triggers an RF pinger, but I dunno how much current I'd have to pass through a 6 foot wire loop to get 300 gauss + I'd rather hold out for an inexpensive RF one, if they ever come to pass.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:08 PM
TinyRC Pro

RFID is "radio frequency identificatioin" I don't quite know the technical data on how it works in lap timing.

RCP is a company who makes modular tracks for Kyosho, Radioshack, Mini-Zracer and a few other companies. (www.rcptracks.com).
Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
TinyRC Pro

horshu at mini-zracer.com they sell a RCP track called the mini-96. It has a narrow lane that will give you much more track in a smaller area. You can see some pictures of it set up in a persons living room here. http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/RCP-Tracks?page=4. Check it out. I was thinking of getting one of these tracks in addition to my bigger RCP's to use in my office at work.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Obsessive Modder

I'd actually like to end up doing a lap counter with RFID (most out there are either IR, meaning InfraRed, or simply RF, meaning is simply oscillates some kind of signal to a receiver).
The problems with RFID are generally a) cost, b) distance required from sensor, and c) collisions, meaning that cheaper RFID interrogators/receivers cannot detect multiple tags passing at the same time, which is terrible for racing. I did find an RFID starter kit that uses 13.x MHz for better distance and anti-collision functionality, plus the development kit uses .Net (which I use professionally), so I could write a lap counter program in a weekend. THat particular kit is "only" about $600, so if the corespeedway one is close to that, I'm probably going to just get the RFID starter kit.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Obsessive Modder

You could actually improve on the RCP design by making all pieces "lane extenders" (puzzle cut on all 4 sides), and make the rails as pieces that attach just like the other pieces. It'd be a more flexible design. That's something I don't like about the RCP one, but I'm cool with the money I spent on this one (as opposed to the Lakeshore one). I saw their new wide lanes and almost covered my monitor in juice when I saw the prices
Old 03-06-2005, 12:29 AM
TinyRC Pro

I've been there done that and so have a lot of people for the last few years. It's nothing new and many make there own tracks using these exercise squares. I started out with mats from home depot and used PVC tubing wrapped in foam pipe insulation like you described. It worked ok for the small amount of money I spent but once I started modifying my cars with more speed the track became too slippery. My mini-z's would do donuts if you gave it too much throotle. I wanted something more and invested in the rcp. The rcp tiles are nothing like the exercise mats with regards to the texture. With the right set up and soft rubber tires even my fasted z's had no problem hugging the turns. I guess it depends on your budget and what your looking for in a track. My old exercise mat tracks never looked half as nice as my rcp's and that was important to me. Good luck and show us some pictures once you get it all set up. Instead of foam insulation why don't you just buy some extra mats and cut them in straight sections and then glue them to the mats for side rails? It might save you some time when setting it up and won't allow the cars to get wedged under the round insulation.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:25 AM
TinyRC Pro

The rcp tracks have a rough texture that reminds me of foam tires on rc cars. This course surface reacts to soft rubber tires very well and gives it the grip. The mats at home depot and most exercise mats are smooth or have a real slippery finish pattern that makes it difficult to grip especially when they get dirty or dust collects on them. I guess you have to ask yourself why would Kyosho and RS use the rcp track if they could just make their own out of exercise mats. I think the answer is one is made for exercise use and the other is made for rc cars. With all that said, I still think if your on a tight budget and are just looking for something to run on rather than the driveway or kitchen linoleum, than the exercise mats will do just fine for know. What gets me is how people are using the standard exercise mats , cutting and gluing rubber edges on them and then selling them for 5 to 6 times as much as they cost at the store for the material alone. I guess if there is a buck to make!. At least with the rcp and the money invested, I knew this was not just an exercise mat track, but something used and tested by some of the biggest names out there like Kyosho and RS. I spend most of my time at mini-zracer.com where there are a lot of great posts on this very subject. You should visit it if you get the chance.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Obsessive Modder

Basically, the sticky side of the RCP track has just been scored in the direction the car drives (for turns, the scoring is perpendicular). You may be able to duplicate the effect with some sanding.