TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts
Old 10-14-2003, 11:16 PM
I process, therefore I am

SE Steering Questions

Hello all,
I just have a couple of questions concerning the steering issues on these SEs. I suppose Bad Company may have some answers, but any replies are welcome.
First, I have 8 of these things now. The issues of stuttering and uneven steps are noticable in all of them. Most have 4 steps to the right and one to the left. Two of my cars (both Efinis) have 4 steps right and two left. The only difference is in the red Mustang, which has no stuttering, but the same unequal turning. The gray Mustang stutters like all the others. Here's my questions:
1. Can equal steps be achieved with tuning the car and or controller?
2. Has anyone else noticed that the Red Mustang seems to have no stuttering?
3. How is the steering on the new Audis? Stuttering? Equal steps both ways?
4. Have you noticed small stutters instead of a turning step on the left side? That is, when I turn slowly, and try to catch the individual steps on the left, or bad side, I notice small stutters instead of a turning step. This can happen for three steps until I get to the last step which moves the wheel full left giving me one step on that side. Could it be the tiny stutter is a missed step?
5. Why the hell did I buy so many before testing the first ones? This is retorical, but good natured ribbing is ok and probably deserved.
I'm hoping to resolve these issues or replace the chassis when Rat Shak gets it right. Right now I'm converting old Zip bodies to SEs. I like the SEs better than the old Zips even with the steering issues. But, I want even performance and am a stickler for things to work right. This will bug the dog leavin's outta me until I fix it or replace it. I've seen the "pot third to second wire snip mod" and am dubious about it's effectiveness. So, I'm waiting for more info.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:41 AM
I really should change my title...

Re: SE Steering Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Azimov
Hello all,

5. Why the hell did I buy so many before testing the first ones? This is retorical, but good natured ribbing is ok and probably deserved.
WOW 8? that's over $200 bucks Oh well

All I can say is that I was equally disappointed when I got my SE, SO the first thing I did was go online for answers and I notice everybody having the same crappy steering problems, SO that did it for me, NO more SEs! and I don't recomend the car to my friends!

I tried the mod and I can tell you I'm happy with the results, there are recentering problems but minor, you basically have to keep making constant adjustments on the steering wheel to keep it going on a strait line but its all a matter of getting used to it. It's not bad at all....
much better than before, I just couldn't deal with the shaking and the uneven steps,1 or 2 to one side and 5 or 6 to the other?!?! forget it, I was this close to returning it!

Now I have 5 or 6 steps on both directions.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:35 PM

I am experiencing all the same problems you are Azimov. I have had some success with tuning the steering with the adjustment on the chassis and the steering trim, but the stuttering was still there. I also have the red Mustang which doesn't have any stuttering, but even the new Audi TT's have the stuttering. I also have 8 SE chassis and half of them have about 4-5 steps to the right, and about 2 steps to the left.

The only car I have that has pretty even steering is my first Efini which had 5 right, 4 left. Not one of my cars is perfect. I have yet to try to tear them apart to look at the pot or anything like that, I'm not much of a technical whiz.

I'm also hoping RS fixes these things because I have a lot invested in Zip Zaps, and I don't want to give them up.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:24 AM
None Better

I got a silver mustang SE today and it stutters, proportional to the right and a single step to the left...bleh.

I checked the zipzap se steering fix at *the other site* and my mustangs pot is similarly wired...except the blue and green wire are soldered to the same post

should I move the blue wire to the empty post on the side of the pot in my car?

the stuttering is what bothers me the most, otherwise its a pretty neat toy.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad Company

I'm also hoping RS fixes these things because I have a lot invested in Zip Zaps, and I don't want to give them up.

Even if they fix it in the near future, I don't think you'll get your investment back, I would never buy so many of these crappy SEs
Old 10-16-2003, 11:41 AM

I called the 800 number and wrote an email to corporate about these steering problems. The stuttering they claim is normal as the wheels recenter. I can accept that as it really doesn't effect driving all that much. The unequal steps in either direction is quite another matter and makes the steering much less than advertised. The fact that some cars work better than others suggests a manufacturing flaw. No one will admit this of course, but refunds are immediately offered. Knowing how RS corporate does buisness, they will fix the uneven steering and slip the improved cars into the mix as they did with the original Zip PCB issues. This sucks of course as it means they will still push the defective product along with the fixed version on the same shelves as if they are all the same. I've never liked the way RS does buisness, so I'm not surprised. So, our only real defense against bad buisness practices is to use the forums and inside info to weed out the fixed cars and buy them exclusively. We had to do this with the improved PCBs in the original Zip and it will work with the SEs as well. That is, of course, until Tomy or someone releases a propo version. The one statement from the guy that answered my email that bothers me is that he said the cars are tuned to have from 5-2 steps in the steering. Why is this? Does this mean no two will ever perform the same. Does it mean unequal steering is the best you get? We'll see. I'll probably return some of the cars and wait for improvements. I have to keep some of them as I've ripped out the lights and customized old bodies with them. Not that I mind. The ones I keep will be good fodder for parts later. This is assuming that RS gets them right eventually.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Azimov
This sucks of course as it means they will still push the defective product along with the fixed version on the same shelves as if they are all the same. I've never liked the way RS does buisness, so I'm not surprised. So, our only real defense against bad buisness practices is to use the forums and inside info to weed out the fixed cars and buy them exclusively.
Yeah it doesn't surprise me either, It looks to me that the design was good at the begining when the chinese company came to RS with the news... but in order to cut cost they used cheap parts and at the end the cars didn't work right, so they had to do the hack and sacrifise the steps in order for them to sort of work. shame because anything that trully works you could probably sale for under $50. Oh well as long as they take exchanges you can always hunt for a good one if they fix them later.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:29 PM
None Better

just a note:

I fixed the steering issues on my silver mustang GT by turning the chassis pot adjustment 5 full turns clockwise, then recentered the wheels with the trim on the remote

centers fine, no stuttering at center, it slightly stutters when I hit the first 2 steps in each direction, then it smooths out.

now to fix the complete lack of acceleration this car has got, heh.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I fixed the steering issues on my silver mustang GT by turning the chassis pot adjustment 5 full turns clockwise, then recentered the wheels with the trim on the remote
Tried it on two cars. No go. This doesn't seem to work. I may try the wire snip mod and see what the effect is.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:55 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to carlisimo
I got an Audi, and I can't figure out what to do with its steering. I've been going at the two adjustment thingies for quite some time now...

Basically I have it back where it started. I have 2 steps to the right, and 1 to the left (no improvement over the first SE I got). The first step to the right is really hard to get (have to turn the wheel ever so slightly) but the second one is far too sharp. Even with the normal red motor, it spins out. It's impossible to control. The left step gives left turns that are far too wide.

I've tried moving the steering bar, but after the necessary adjustments that leads to the same result. If anyone has any ideas or needs more information, please say so...
Old 10-26-2003, 03:02 AM
itsme

gosh

I never noticed anything wrong with my steering other then it doesn't go straight but I don't really care much for that...
Old 10-26-2003, 04:58 AM
TinyRC Pro

Send a message via AIM to carlisimo
That should be fixable with the trim under the chassis.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:02 PM
That's all folks

I have mixed results with trying to adjust the steering on the SE's. If I can't get them to work well with a reasonable amount of time spent trying, I return them. I have returned at least 4. I have seen the best results with an enfini, 4 steps left, 5 right. It does not suffer from lack of acceleration either (first fet mod from micro_Amps)! I have evened up one that steered too wide to the left by trimming a bit off the end of the steering rack, it also gave an extra step left with some tuning. That one has 3 steps left and 5 right. I have still noticed stuttering with the mustangs as well. I also tried the clipping of the bridge in one (enfini), it gives 6 steps left and 7 right. It is also very sensitive steering now too, which I can get used to, but it seems to not recenter all the time. I am still uncertain on that mod, some tuning has gotten it a little better (maybe just running it more). I still have to keep trying with that one. I been to busy running my new fet modded one since it got home yesterday.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:16 PM
itsme

??

Yes, the Efini RX-7 roxors, I got that and I just decided to do that thing on the bottom to make it straight, now I feel lucky with such a nice Zip, good steering, nice straightness...
And where do you live in Washington?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:59 PM
That's all folks

Re: ??

Quote:
Originally posted by itsme
...And where do you live in Washington?
Not far from you, 20 miles or less.