TinyRC.com - XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop
Forums, XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
XMODS Hop-Ups, XMODS Parts, XMOD Hop-Ups, XMOD Parts, Bit Char-G Hop-Ups, Bit Char-G Parts, MicroSizers Hop-Ups, MicroSizers Parts

Go Back   TinyRC.com > 1/64 and Smaller > Digi Q > Digi Q

Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 PM

anyone familiar with the mini-q (or digi-q) electronics?

I dunno if anyone is still playing around with these but I never was while they were popular so have only just discovered the zipzap and mini-q. I wonder what the popularity of these and similar sized rc toys are these days, and if they are shifted to other platforms then what those are!?

Anyways, I am looking for someone who has indepth knowledge of the mini-q electronics, or if none then the digi-q electronics (or both).- I am trying to figure out just how similar they are, (I don't have the digi-q)cause I'm hacking on one of my 2 mini-q's- in particular the ir reciever, and am having a hard time finding out what the devices' manufacturer is from the #'s on the part! , plus I haven't been able to find out the decoder IC's manufaturer either- it looks like an obsolete part so unless I know manu cannot find datasheet too easily!

Well, thats about it for now I guess, just been having hard time with finding folks still fartin around with these lil beauties- also making similar post to zipzap forum for RF circuit & protocol info & related....

btw, if anyone has any RC equipment of mostly any type to trade am willing to fab custom electronics as trade- nice quality on custom PCB, wuts cooler than that? jd
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Hulk smash!

Send a message via AIM to Namuna Send a message via Yahoo to Namuna
Do you have a link or pictures of that mini-q? I've not heard of that digi-q clone...If it's supposed to be a digi-q clone.

As far as the popularity goes, except for some of us stubborn micro lovers the market on this scale has gone back into hibernation. Bit Char-G/Microsizers have been discontinued for a couple of years now and just recently the RadioShack clones (aka ZipZaps) just saw the last line being cleared out (The Transformers). There's been no news of any newer ZipZaps due out either.

The Digi-Q never even made it stateside, they're all Japan Imports. They've been off the market longer than the Bit Char-G.

There's a recent new line of micros out in Japan though, they're a hybrid of Bit Char-g and Digi-Q in that they use IR but also use the steering like Bits. They're called Q-Steer and again they're by Japanese import only. Just recently Tamiya teamed up with Takara and released a line of Q-Steer Buggies, very cool (I have one).

Good luck on your hunts.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 AM

pix of clone:

hey all, thanks for the reply Namuna,, here are a few grainy pix of the digi-q- pretty difficult to get a good snap with this crappy webcam but you shoudl be able to see basic layout of electronics on topside,, bottom has the dual dc motor driver and what I believe is a step-up circuit or possibly just a regulator(but I doubt it is just a reg).

I have been trying to find other forums and users but no luck yet! I need to find out more about the ir circuit and how it is decoded but neither of my racers have a transmitter (just picked them up for parts).

Well, I shoudl go and wake up,, later all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg snap-unknown-20080205-083258-1.jpeg (36.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg snap-unknown-20080205-084435-1.jpeg (34.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg snap-unknown-20080205-084510-1.jpeg (35.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 AM

Talking stubborn digiQ lover still farting around ( I am )

hi jaydag,

i was just checking to see if this digiQ forum was still active at all.
i'm happy to see some activity.

the bit-rage seems to have ended some time back,
but i can't get enough of propobit's.
specially the combatdigiQ's are my interest.
in the future (when i find some time) i will try to fart around with the electronics
a bit by trying to rewrite romchips and building compatible IR "targets"
that can shoot back at my tanks.
i can't boast any knowledge, i'm just trying to gather information
from mostly a german website. translating is sort of rough.

mini-Q , that's odd, it looks a lot like a digiQ !
is it propo ? were did you get it from ?
i don't know too much about the inner workings of a bit,
but would you like a closeup picture of a digiQ PCB ?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 AM

hey thanks for reply! yeah don't know much about any of the more current micro sized toys but they are all of potential interest! would love to get some good pix of the digiQ!

Unsure what propo is,, from what I can recal it is manufacturer- if that is case then: no, these miniQ seem to be unidentified, but then again I bought them as parts only so no TX and no packaging to check out!! I am going to go back and try and get the TX's so I can hack into them as well,, fairly sure they were there I just wasn't thinking taht I was going to use the toys for anything other than the matching motors & gearboxes, so didn't bother to look!

inner werkings: not much to em as far as I can tell,, there is the hybrid IR module which includes basic filtering and whatnot for IR signal,, which goes into an IC I have not yet ID'd but think its just a decoder of some scheme which in turn routes resolved signal to dual motor driver IC. Other than that there is only regulation from batteries,, but me thinks it is actually a step-up circuit rather than linear reg,, but also unID'd as of yet. seriously basic stuff,, but am sure newer ones are more complex without having seen one yet.

accomplishing your goals shoudl not be at all difficult- If i could not easily decipher existing coding scheme & parts used,, would just make own- many similar type projects posted online everywhere. will have good luck looking in robotic related sites/posts. g'luk!